Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading and researching panniers.
Question is, are side mounting racks/supports of any kind needed to install OEM aluminum panniers?
Dealer says I need the side racks/mounts.
But then I read posts where it looks like people are saying the panniers mount right on the stock bike without any additional hardware.
I have myself so confused. This should have been something I have figured out by now. Geez.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You don't need any racks or frames to mount the Honda panniers to a 1000 AT. The only thing needed are the small rubbers that come with the panniers. These slide onto the lugs that stick out from the passenger foot pegs and are secured in place with a screw/bolt.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think the confusion is about what type of OEM pannier. The Plastic Honda OEM panniers do not require any side racks. There are Adventure Sport model OEM panniers that are aluminum(made by GIVI for Honda) and do require a side rack for installation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think the confusion is about what type of OEM pannier. The Plastic Honda OEM panniers do not require any side racks on a non-Adventure Sport model. The Adventure Sport model OEM panniers are aluminum(made by GIVI for Honda) and do require a side rack for installation. You would have to change the seat grab rail assemblies on the Adventure Sport models and install the non-adventure Sport seat grab rail assemblies for the OEM plastic panniers to fit as the mounting for these bags is molded into the seat grab rails.
Not for 1000cc models you don't, there are only one type of OEM panniers for the 2016-2019 bikes. I believe this changes for the newer 1100cc bikes. I have Honda panniers on my bike which is a 2018 ATAS and no frames are required.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The great thing about the OEM panniers is that when they are removed the bike looks clean and tidy, and they dont stick out too far. Be careful when fitting as the rubbers in the pannier top mounts can get displaced and fall out of the pannier. I smear them with rubber grease so they fit easier and the rubber does not bind up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts