Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: I made a stupid Mistake
I ordered the wrong Panniers from Outback Motortek. I really need panniers that fit with **** near no modification, straight bolt one. OutBack Motortek has been somewhat helpful. No I'm not bagging on them. The US Store really doesn't have customer service. I Took my bike apart and will leave it in pieces for the mean while. I have a trip planed to Moab Utah in two weeks. Does anyone know of a company that can get me good quality panniers in a week.

Please Help...............

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I still have to find racks for panniers that can be installed without modifications: Outback Motortek, Givi, SW-Motech, they all request some kind of modification, usually in the form of new holes. That's for the simple fact that they need to provide a stronger support to the heavier side panniers.
Try to contact Lorry Gombos (<lorant at outbackmotortek.com>), he is usually prompt to answer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I still have to find racks for panniers that can be installed without modifications: Outback Motortek, Givi, SW-Motech, they all request some kind of modification, usually in the form of new holes. That's for the simple fact that they need to provide a stronger support to the heavier side panniers.
Try to contact Lorry Gombos (<lorant at outbackmotortek.com>), he is usually prompt to answer.
I have the SW Motech on my ATAS. No modification whatsoever is needed. You just add 3 metal components on existing points and you can install/remove the racks within seconds (half turn screws). I think it is the best system out there.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the SW Motech on my ATAS. No modification whatsoever is needed. You just add 3 metal components on existing points and you can install/remove the racks within seconds (half turn screws). I think it is the best system out there.
Then there must be an error in the SW-Motech instructions on their site (or you skipped Step 4 in documentation :grin2:).. see attachment... You probably have even to remove plate to do that...

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve fitted Givi to my 19 ATAS and no modification required for the side cases and very easy and quick to fir. There is a mod to fit the rear carrier for top box and a bit challenging to fit but is do able

·
Registered
326 Posts
Then there must be an error in the SW-Motech instructions on their site (or you skipped Step 4 in documentation :grin2:).. see attachment... You probably have even to remove plate to do that...
Oh, come on, 2 freaking holes on the plastic is not really a "modification"..... LOL .... I did not skip the step but incidentally I had the holes already done at the exact positions needed for my licence plate.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I’ve fitted Givi to my 19 ATAS and no modification required for the side cases and very easy and quick to fir. There is a mod to fit the rear carrier for top box and a bit challenging to fit but is do able
Again, GIVI requests either the 1161KIT or the SR1161 (for the top box) when mounting the side carriers. Both of those parts require holes in the rear fender. Look at the instructions.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh, come on, 2 freaking holes on the plastic is not really a "modification"..... LOL .... I did not skip the step but incidentally I had the holes already done at the exact positions needed for my licence plate.
That is the request of the OP: "straight bolt one".

Then I agree two holes are not much difficult to do. By the way I believe the ones requested by SW-Motech on the plate holder would not provide much strength. And those designed by GIVI, while much more robust, can only be done after having disassembled almost rear parts of the bike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
...By the way I believe the ones requested by SW-Motech on the plate holder would not provide much strength.....
I had the exact same concern, but then there was not a chance that I would dismantle half the bike to install the GIVI system.

On the other hand SW-Motech is a well known company for quality and trusted systems. I have friends that have the same system on their KTMs which is mounted in a similar manner and they never had a problem even doing off-road.

So, I took my chances and indeed the system is very rigid.

After all, this "bridge" does not carry vertical load. It is subjected mainly to horizontal force in between the two racks.

Consider that, due to limited space where I park my bike, I have to pull it (on tiles of course), and the only part that gives a good grip for this task is the side rack. So, I pull the whole bike for some half a meter or so, only by applying pull force on the side rack. It fully withstands the stress.

All in all, there should be no consideration for the strength of the system.

:smile2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had the exact same concern, but then there was not a chance that I would dismantle half the bike to install the GIVI system.
On the other hand SW-Motech is a well known company for quality and trusted systems. I have friends that have the same system on their KTMs which is mounted in a similar manner and they never had a problem even doing off-road.
So, I took my chances and indeed the system is very rigid.
After all, this "bridge" does not carry vertical load. It is subjected mainly to horizontal force in between the two racks.
Consider that, due to limited space where I park my bike, I have to pull it (on tiles of course), and the only part that gives a good grip for this task is the side rack. So, I pull the whole bike for some half a meter or so, only by applying pull force on the side rack. It fully withstands the stress.
All in all, there should be no consideration for the strength of the system.
:smile2:
SW-Motech does good products, for sure.
I was concerned with that "bridge" (and I'm not the only one) in case of a strong lateral shock (like in a fall): it would probably be transmitted to the rear fender... let's hope its elasticity can absorb the transferred energy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
SW-Motech does good products, for sure.
I was concerned with that "bridge" (and I'm not the only one) in case of a strong lateral shock (like in a fall): it would probably be transmitted to the rear fender... let's hope its elasticity can absorb the transferred energy.
Definitely you got a good point there. On the other hand, on the GIVI system, this stress will be transferred to the subframe. I guess it is less damage a broken fender than a bend subframe.

I hope no-one will ever have to find out, though..... :smile2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Definitely you got a good point there. On the other hand, on the GIVI system, this stress will be transferred to the subframe. I guess it is less damage a broken fender than a bend subframe.

I hope no-one will ever have to find out, though..... :smile2:
Surely the subframe is able to cope with much higher stress than a plastic fender. Anyway, I too hope no one will ever discover it. :smile2:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Although pricey, it is my understanding that the Touratech racks do not require modification on a 2018. Link attached. I am looking at these racks for the same reason.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Pannier-Rack-Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L
Confirmed. I added the Touratech racks to both mine and my wife's bike. I have had those on a Tiger Explorer, KTM 1190 and now the AT. Other than having to buy different racks for each bike, the panniers have held up extremely well and have never required any drilling or modifications.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should order Mosko Moto Panniers They fit those racks Awesome product and soft luggage has benefits

Birdman

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think there is an advantage on the SW Motech system that - to my knowledge - no other system offers (forgive me if wrong). Motech provides adaptors for most of the popular hard cases in the market.

I have the kit for GIVI panniers, and if I will even need or choose to switch to Motech or Shad I will need just to change the kit at a cost of some 25-30 Euros.

And of course, the system is removable within seconds via half turn bolts, which is not the case for the Hepco, I believe. For me this was also a factor since I own the OEM panniers as well and I wanted to keep them and use them for solo trips.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2019 standard AT, and bought an SW-Motech Pro side carrier. Ordered from Fortnine, on the site it said 100% compatible with the 2019. The left side was installed easily, the right side holes wouldnt align properly and the rack would have touched the exhaust. So Fortnine contacted SW-Motech they affirmed it was compatible, so Fortnine sent me another right side to check thinking it might just be a production issue, well...same thing, doesn't fit. Also read of someone else on Facebook that returned his rack.

I ended up agreeing to a partial refund (100$) and will have my friend cut, bend, and reweld to get a proper fit then I'll either repaint or have it powercoated. Not the easy bolt on system I was expecting. So depending on the model you have, I would not recommend SW-Motech. It seems the exhaust has changed in 2018+ and based on how badly the holes aligned, chances are Honda also did some small tweaks around the mudguard and or the passenger pegs.

I also bought some crash bars on my RnineT from SW-Motech, one of the bars broke at a weld, without it ever being used. They send me another crashbar free, but still wasn't too reassured how it would hold up in a fall....if I could do it again, I would try another brand.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This sounds appealing but just wondering is there something in place to prevent theft since its so easy to remove the whole side rack?

Not that I know of. It takes literally 10 seconds to remove both sides. You could replace the spring loaded screws with a torx bolt. Still not fully theft proof, but at least it would take more than a quarter to remove it. Also if someone wants to steal something, they'll do it even if rack is welded to the frame and you have hard cases, they'll just bust the lock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts