Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo everybody,
I replaced the OEM Dunlop rear tyre with a Pirelli MT 90 A/T, said to be 70/30 road/gravel. I should now replace the front tyre and have a doubt: is it better to have something more "knobby" on the front (such as, e.g. a Mitas E 70) or is this less important for a front tyre and privilege rather tarmac adherence, like with a more street-oriented tyre ( e.g, Avon Trail Rider)?
Thanks for your feedback,:wink2:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would simply fit the same tyre in the front, Pirellis MT90 A/T perform extremely well on the tarmac and have acceptable off-road crossing abilities (minus mud and sand).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would simply fit the same tyre in the front, Pirellis MT90 A/T perform extremely well on the tarmac and have acceptable off-road crossing abilities (minus mud and sand).
Thanks Man,
I considered another tyre because the rear MT90 A/T started loosing profile ( flattening) after only 2000 Km of road use...:surprise:and Pirellis are way more expensive as compared to all alternatives (e.g. 30 Euros more than TKC 70):|

·
Registered
111 Posts
I considered another tyre because the rear MT90 A/T started loosing profile ( flattening) after only 2000 Km of road use...:surprise:
This is surprising with such low mileage, my rear started flattening after 6000-7000km and I kept it until it had done 16000km. Make sure you always use the right pressure on tarmac (36psi solo and 41psi with a passenger).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Palomar / All!

Would suggest to go for the same tire type on front AND rear.

If you are looking for a longer lifetime consider the Continental TKC70 (I was running a set on my SD04 for 10.000 kilometers and was absolutely satisfied with (20% off- / 80% on road)).

Cheers, gerhard

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Palomar;

Just to add to the mix... Depending on where I am going to ride I do 'mix and match' tyres. If I expect some trying terrain I would normally go for TKC 80 front and Mitas E07 Rear. If I know for a fact its going to be thick sand or mud for miles and miles I will stick TKC 80's front and rear. I have just changes to the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR for every day use. I have to say, after the past weekend, I think this is going to be my new everyday combination. Very good and tar and more than ok on a gravel road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts