Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my AT last January. I have done 3600 miles on it so far. Yesterday while I went riding to Sudbury in Sussex, the rear brake suddenly would not apply. This was after having rode around 175 miles during the day. Thankfully I was at a parking lot so it did not cause an issue. After that, I thought it might have been my mistake and continued riding back onto M25. But 20 minutes later, a passing car warned me to pull over and indicated at my wheel. I pulled over to the side immediately and I was shocked to find the rear disk glowing red hot. I switched off the bike and called AA to rescue me and tow back home. I wanted to check if there have been any known recall issues for AT rear brake caliper failures. This was pretty serious and could have turned ugly if the passing car had not warned me.

Please let me know what I should do next? I would like a thorough check of the bike and get the brakes and disc replaced. Is any of this covered under Warranty?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I picked up my AT last January. I have done 3600 miles on it so far. Yesterday while I went riding to Sudbury in Sussex, the rear brake suddenly would not apply. This was after having rode around 175 miles during the day. Thankfully I was at a parking lot so it did not cause an issue. After that, I thought it might have been my mistake and continued riding back onto M25. But 20 minutes later, a passing car warned me to pull over and indicated at my wheel. I pulled over to the side immediately and I was shocked to find the rear disk glowing red hot. I switched off the bike and called AA to rescue me and tow back home. I wanted to check if there have been any known recall issues for AT rear brake caliper failures. This was pretty serious and could have turned ugly if the passing car had not warned me.

Please let me know what I should do next? I would like a thorough check of the bike and get the brakes and disc replaced. Is any of this covered under Warranty?
This would be the first time I have heard of this, sounds like there is an issue there with brakes jammed off then jammed on. It needs to get fixed, depending on what they find, that will decide if its warranty or not. We are talking a rear brake deal here so I would think they would start at the rear caliper and replace whats necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you ever maintained your brakes since picking it up?? Calipers do seize and pads do stick to brake disks under certain conditions.I presume you do not use the bike that often? Best of luck in sorting this out but better have it examined by a certified mechanic, preferably a Honda one if the bike is still under warranty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts