Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think this could be interesting:
As a handicap rider, I am not able to shift gears with my left foot and have much dificulty using the rear brake with my right foot, so the AT with DCT was the perfect option for me. Besides, I changed the rear brake from the foot to the handlebar just like an scooter and everything worked great. Now I can ride with confidence and go places never thought possible due to my limited movement legs but now my life has changed. The AT is a great machine!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dude! amazing! where can i find info on this mod?

exactly what i need.

cheers!
They did everything for me at the Honda dealership where I bought the bike.
They used a clutch and hidraulic pump from a Honda CB 900 and were very creative to place everithing to look as it was original parts.
I believe any Honda dealership can do the job.
It works great, I even tested a hard braking and the ABS worked just fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think you'll miss having the parking brake?
The people who did the work for me at the Honda dealership relocated the parking brake to the right side of the bike and fixed it to the Givi crash bars so it is very handy for me to use it with my right hand after I park.
They even put a new wire harness to conect the parking brake in its new location in a way that the parking brake light in the dashboard works perfectly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i did a similar thing to my dirt bike, adapter a second clutch leaver with remote reservoir tucked in underneath.
i had a hydraulic hose place make me up an adapter banjo that allows for both use of the foot brake and the hand leaver simultaneously and or separately ..

ill hunt for some pics and post them if i find them...

happy riding

·
Registered
225 Posts
Man, I think this would be nice to have when doing off-road. There are many times when going down a steep, rough patch you need to stand and it’s difficult to use the rear brake. Having the ability to use it with your hand would allow you to keep control with your feet solid on the pegs.

Thanks for sharing! Safe riding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Man, I think this would be nice to have when doing off-road. There are many times when going down a steep, rough patch you need to stand and it’s difficult to use the rear brake. Having the ability to use it with your hand would allow you to keep control with your feet solid on the pegs.

This is why Honda should have a rear brake on the bars option for the DCT and its not as if they have to do much more in terms of engineering having got most of the basic parts in production for the DCT Scoot they make (Integra?)

·
Registered
46 Posts

check out https://www.clake.com.au/prices/clake-dual-control-kit/

will work for both the manual and dct .. they are an awesome bit of kit ... thats where i got my idea from for the dirt bike.. i will be investing in one of these along with there hyd clutch conversion kit to my at once ive done the crash bars ect ..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have put 2,000 kilometers in my 2019 AT DCT using the rear brake relocated to the handlebar. All I can say is that it has been owesome!!!!
No worries, no hazzles, nothing to do with my feet but put them down to hold the bike when standing. The most relaxing rides!!! I can almost double the riding time on board without getting tired.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, 4,000 kilometers and counting and the rear brake relocation working great.
Now I am going to work on relocating the footpegs somewhere farther front and lower
I will keep you post and make some pictures.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how much did you pay the dealership?

i'm still figuring out how to do mine.

i like this guys idea:

https://youtu.be/HkJoLOooq00

cheers!
They charged me $400.00 US dollars for parts and labor.
There are a couple of important facts within the desition of doing this job at the dealer:
1.- By doing this at the dealer, you keep your warranty.
2.- They left all the original rear brake hidraulic system in its place so, when I sell the bike in the future, it is going to be very easy to go back and leave everything original.
Also, considering the labor required and the parts added, I feel it was a fair price.
The relocation of the park brake handle on the crash bar to the right hand side, feels very handy to use. I have used it hundreds of times now with no problem at all

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, for the DCT in particular that looks like a nice idea. You'd have to relocate the parking brake to somewhere that would not get knocked in an off though.
After doing some thinking, I decided to fix the park brake handle to my GIVI crash bar on the right hand side. I found a place that I consider is handy, is out of the way and protects the handle when droping the bike.
Here are a couple of pictures of the location of the handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Besides this modification of the rear brake, I just added some extra foot pegs to my AT DCT.
I placed them in a lower and forward position si I can stretch my legs during long highway rides. They do not get in the way, and make all the difference in the world as far as resting is concerned and extended my continuos riding time without having to stop.
Also, as I changed the rear brake pedal to the left side of the handlebar just as in an scooter, I was able to retire the rear brake pedal and get a lot of clearence for my right foot.
Below are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts