Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly new to the forum so bare with me if this question has been posted before , I used the search facility but it didn't come up with anything.

Has anybody had or read about problems with the paint finish on the rear grab rail /rack in a grey finish on the CRF1000L?

Many thanks
Brock

·
Registered
71 Posts
My riding buddy has a red/blk AT with a silver rack. He put a Giant Loop bag (looks like a horse shoe) on the bike and it rubbed the finish off on the edges in a day's ride.

The rack on my siver AT is black. I don't think there is a finish to rub off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies , I've got red/black AT with silver paint, the paint rubbed off in the first 400 mile ride using "rokstraps" after 3 days of ownership from new , complained to dealership but Honda are saying not a warranty issue ....WFT

Anybody had similar issues and did Honda resolve under warranty ?

paint shouldn't just rub off that easy or am I being unfair ?

cheers
Brock

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for replies , I've got red/black AT with silver paint, the paint rubbed off in the first 400 mile ride using "rokstraps" after 3 days of ownership from new , complained to dealership but Honda are saying not a warranty issue ....WFT

Anybody had similar issues and did Honda resolve under warranty ?

paint shouldn't just rub off that easy or am I being unfair ?

cheers
Brock
Mine has scratched in a few places quite easily with black primer showing underneath. My impression is that the paint does come off very easily.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ditto to the above....not too upset, but would like to touch up. Mine was caused by cover blowing/chaffing in the wind. Any paint codes? Not too pushed. Bike is designed for knocks!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I carry a soft bag on trips and the rack finish is worn down to black plastic wherever there is a rub point. Along with the brush scratches on the fairing, cases and side panels, my Queen has aquired a nice dirt bike patina. Now I do not worry about crashing through the bush.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My Rally Red has the silver rack and my RokStraps have also rubbed away the silver finish. I guess at some point if it really bothered me I could get some acrylic paint and touch it up. Regular wear and tear, although the rack probably could have been made out of something other than the composite material for durability.

·
Registered
979 Posts
No, I don't think so. It's some mix of plastic, resins and fibre.
I think aluminum would have been a sturdier choice but I'm guessing Honda chose a lighter and cheaper material for the grab rails.

It's composite? I thought it was cast aluminum! Sheesh, I'm getting blind in my old age.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I carry a soft bag on trips and the rack finish is worn down to black plastic wherever there is a rub point.
Same exactly with mine, in a trip to Asia last summer. I have since put some transparent film protector around them but the damage was done. I was thinking of re-painting the rack but in order to remove it one needs to remove the rear side covers and this seems to be an involved job, I even asked about it in another post:
http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/193-appearance-body/8890-fairing-removal-3.html#post244410

It should not be too difficult/expensive to re-paint the rack and I hope to manage to remove and do it soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same problem here. Just after the use of rockstraps. Dealer told me no warrenty here in the NL too...

So I've been looking for the colorcode.. but can't find it. When the weather gets a bit better, I will drop by a local paint shop. They prob have a colorgun and can make something out of it. But I don't feel like removing the whole fairing....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ditto to the above....not too upset, but would like to touch up. Mine was caused by cover blowing/chaffing in the wind. Any paint codes? Not too pushed. Bike is designed for knocks!!
In Australia there is a touch up pen I found off the shelf at Super Cheap Auto which is an almost perfect match. (I never notice where it has been used on my AT.) Made by HOLTS - colour Tungsten Pearl Metallic phone 1800021106. If you give them a call I'm sure they could arrange posting it. I bought mine around 2 years ago when I first got my Africa. Phoning from overseas you will probably need a +61 in front of that number.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In Australia there is a touch up pen I found off the shelf at Super Cheap Auto which is an almost perfect match. (I never notice where it has been used on my AT.) Made by HOLTS - colour Tungsten Pearl Metallic phone 1800021106. If you give them a call I'm sure they could arrange posting it. I bought mine around 2 years ago when I first got my Africa. Phoning from overseas you will probably need a +61 in front of that number.
Thanks for that bud...will check it out!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts