Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why are many rear luggage racks so narrow? Do wider ones really look that bad, or is it to encourage lighter loads?
It has been discussed that the AT only holds 10kg/22lbs on this rack. When you add the weight of the mounting plate then a top box, there is very little remaining payload; maybe this is why we don't always find total component weight in the product descriptions? I plan to mostly use a soft bag back there for both weight and drag savings, maybe a hard case for security on city tours, (a different discussion).
Looking for a rack that will support a descent size drybag of clothes/gear perpendicular to the bike so I can keep the weight forward.

Here are some of the widest examples I've found, though product dimensions are also often omitted so I'm using the grab rails to determine width. The widest, (and likely least pretty), rectangle from Hepco Becker states not for top box mounting and also has a limit of 5kg, (too thin perhaps?).

I included the aluminum color Rugged Roads rack here for comparison as it (seems) narrower that the others and more represents the products I see on the market.

I found this thread from a member who made his own very nice solution, though he is a machinist and has access to the right equipment. http://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...-trunk-mount-rear-luggage-rack.html#post91538

For hard cases the rack need be only as wide as the mounting bracket, but for soft bags, isn't wider better, (to a point)? Obviously for one up I can use the pillion, but we're talking two up here.

Note: prices were for shipping to my residence and may differ.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are riding solo, several outfits make racks to replace the pillion: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...QntFQDLFxvDG0eV8di5pWA8r9HyRYTc2SgaAiBP8P8HAQ

Even without a rack, using the pillion for cargo enables the carriage of much more than 22 pounds. I have the stock boxes, but for offroad trips, I use cheap ass Bilt drybags using the pillion AND rack...No hardware necessary, the two sidebags attach to the main bag and do not interfere with the exhaust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Hepco Becker rack and it's very light. I also have the stock panniers. Just did a ride over some pretty rough roads and had no problems with the Honda panniers, I had about 5kgs on the rack. I ended up using zip ties to hold the old soft pannier on the rack after the bungee cords gave up on the rough roads. I'm doing a lap of Australia later in the year and will probably use the pillion seat for camping gear, tent etc. I'm also thinking of fitting some small pouches to the crash bars for spare tubes etc.

Hope the photos help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That Hepco Becker looks like what you are after if you want to go wide.

My set up is a Pro Moto Billet rack with a Pelican 1620 mounted. Weather proof and lockable.

Its perfect for my commuting, and light touring. Also going to use a Nelson Rigg tank bag.

It looks like a decent fit and easy mount.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put a SW-Motech black aluminium rack on mine,with a givi universal plastic top box plate and Kappa 35 litre topbox.Works fine as long as you keep the topbox load weight down to 10lbs or less.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Hepco Becker rack and it's very light.
Thanks for the pics Drew, hope you don't mind my comment, the rack actually looks pretty good in your photo. Looks like you could put a hard luggage adapter plate on it if the end tabs bent down instead of up. Looks like the tabs won't clear the grab rails if you flip upside down.
I still wonder why HB put half the limit on this that Honda advises?

I put a SW-Motech black aluminium rack on mine,with a givi universal plastic top box plate and Kappa 35 litre topbox.Works fine as long as you keep the topbox load weight down to 10lbs or less.
That's just it, 10lbs is almost nothing. How wide is the SW?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's another option.

I produced the first CRF 1000 racks 18 months ago and they are wider than most. They come pre-drilled for Givi Monokey pins and Rotopax fuel bladders (1.75 gallon model pictured). They are flat on top with sides and back folded down for rigidity and strapping provisions. Being flat on top also allows to strap longitudinally a big duffle bag partly on the rear seat when riding solo.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Massive...6/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1153742624718085

Reactions: stephenmarklay

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Nice option Lee, link open my FB app and failed, but it works if you copy/paste into different browser, or just search Massive Ride.
Price listed $150.CAD
I'd still like to know exact dimension, but looks about the same as most at the base and does not taper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice option Lee, link open my FB app and failed, but it works if you copy/paste into different browser, or just search Massive Ride.
Price listed $150.CAD
I'd still like to know exact dimension, but looks about the same as most at the base and does not taper.
The rack is around 16.5. across x 12" and it is flush with the flashers. In fact, you don't want it too wide because it could interfere with the luggage rack, and if you don't have side racks, you don't want the rear rack to hit the ground when the bike falls. The impact on the rear rack could be enough to damage your plastic carrier. Also, most rear racks are indeed barely larger than the carrier on which they rest. Most likely because they are designed to be simple plates to mount a top box on. I personally don't like top boxes as it moves the center of gravity to high. But hey, sometimes when riding two up, there's no choice. ;-)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Lee,

This rack looks to be the right size. I think the other racks may be a bit more form over function as I agree the tapered look is quite pleasing and better matches the bike. However, I'd like the versatility of using soft luggage or adding a top case later. For soft, I would think the added width would work better, (not too wide of course).

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I introduced the CRF rack to French Honda dealers last year, I presented two models. The one pictured above, and that one below where all sides are either folded up or down.

That configuration was tested two years prior on a trip to Tunisia on my 1988 Africa Twin. And it worked nicely.

Then when designing the CRF racks, some local guys asked me to design the rack so that they could attach a duffle bag longitudinally. Hence the front side getting flat. While I was there, I flipped the rear lip down so that people can carry any size of Rotopax, and can bolt any size of top box. ;-)

Reactions: Flyer

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...when designing the CRF racks, some local guys asked me to design the rack so that they could attach a duffle bag longitudinally. Hence the front side getting flat. While I was there, I flipped the rear lip down so that people can carry any size of Rotopax, and can bolt any size of top box. ;-)
Very good design indeed. Nice to see someone who listens to their customers :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have the Alt rider rack, I love it and It is very sturdy. I bought the Givi mount kit for the rack but with my 52 liter trecker top box, I had to shim up the mushroom mounts with two washers each. Alt rider doesn't provide an alternative setup for the 52 liter box so keep that in mind if you choose the combo I have. Evidently the 52 is slightly different than the smaller boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm using the Altrider rear luggage rack and I love it so far. It's got a large surface and is very beefy. Highly recommended.
This is a nice rack, but again seems to favor form over function unless fitting a hard case.
I would like to use the rack to secure something like this as it allows me to maximize the useful load and keep the CG low.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Lee,

What is the weight of your rear rack?

Been trying to find the right rack for me which is a decent size, still rigid, but not super heavy. Tried the BDCW which was nice and stiff, but heavy at 3.5 lbs. Then I got the B&B which is 3.25 lbs. The Altrider one is 3.15 lbs, but the last one I had for my Triumph Tiger 800 had a little flex, this might be better, not sure though. And then there is the Touratech one that is 1 lb, but I'm not sure if I think it'll be strong/rigid enough for how little it weighs.

Very curious to see how yours matches up.

Thanks!

The rack is around 16.5. across x 12" and it is flush with the flashers. In fact, you don't want it too wide because it could interfere with the luggage rack, and if you don't have side racks, you don't want the rear rack to hit the ground when the bike falls. The impact on the rear rack could be enough to damage your plastic carrier. Also, most rear racks are indeed barely larger than the carrier on which they rest. Most likely because they are designed to be simple plates to mount a top box on. I personally don't like top boxes as it moves the center of gravity to high. But hey, sometimes when riding two up, there's no choice. ;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts