Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I purchased a used set of SM-Pro (Rugged Roads) rims for the AT. I wanted to replace the studs and bolts on the rear drive hub fo my installation. I had an incident today where one stud backed out and seriously scored by swingarm. I can't believe it backed out, yet you can see loctite (blue) on the threads. I looked through the shop manual and can't seem to find torque values for those rear studs. I've tried contacting RR and SM Pro.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,976 Posts
Studs are 90102-MAS-000 12x25 the only reference I’ve seen is the spec for a same size bolt in the shop manual, they sell the studs but torque values seem to be a state secret.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I agree. Can't find those specs anywhere. Long side of studs into hub so sprocket sits on unthreaded shoulder. Nuts are 100nm but I cannot find stud specs anywhere. E-mailed RR and SM-Pro, who make the hubs. :unsure:

·
Registered
154 Posts
If a torque value for a specific nut/bolt is not given in the shop manual then it should be tightened to the torque specified in the standard torque values table, usually located in the first chapter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the reply. I don't think 54nm is enough for such an important part of the drivetrain. The damage was caused by one that had broke free. The nuts are 100nm. :unsure:

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you torque a nut onto a stud, does it not stress the stud as if it was a bolt, to the same value? What's the issue? Just Loctite it again and make sure to torque the nut properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts