Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing with the pre-load on the rear as me and the missus are planning a Scotland trip. I'll have a pillion and plenty of luggage so am going to up the pre-load setting.
However I've found the adjuster really difficult to turn, is it just me or my bike or are they all like this.
Am I missing a trick somewhere - I was wondering whether I should remove the adjuster handle and try a socket or something similar.
Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Davey - Mine gets hard to do when on a side stand and getting up past about 10 to 12 clicks. It is much easier to do when on the center stand. If you don't have a center stand, figure out some other way to take the weight off the rear wheel and see if that makes it easier.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I noticed it was getting harder but didn't go past the 7 clicks which Honda say is the default position. BTW the first two clicks are obviously not engaging anything so have I set it at 5 clicks or is that really 7? I don't get my centre stand until next Thursday then I will start measuring some sag and tweaking things. At the moment it's very nice straight out of the box, but I don't take a pillion Davey.
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses - yep I've got a centre stand and use it when setting the preload. Think I might have a word with my dealer because it's not easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the responses - yep I've got a centre stand and use it when setting the preload. Think I might have a word with my dealer because it's not easy.
Hi, my preloaded adjuster has all but siezed up. The whole shock is being replaced under warranty, along with heated grips and left hand switch gear. The dealer was scepticalabout the preloaded adjuster at first, but I got the mechanic to test my bike and a new one side by side and they immediately agreed it was an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh thanks for that Miken - sounds like you have a good dealer - I hope it is all ok now.
As I say I adjust the suspension from time to time when I take a pillion and luggage so this is important to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been messing with the pre-load on the rear as me and the missus are planning a Scotland trip. I'll have a pillion and plenty of luggage so am going to up the pre-load setting.
However I've found the adjuster really difficult to turn, is it just me or my bike or are they all like this.
Am I missing a trick somewhere - I was wondering whether I should remove the adjuster handle and try a socket or something similar.
Any advice appreciated.
This is my first reply on this blog maybe I'm a year or 10 late I don't know but if you unscrew the plastic cap on your preload adjustment and use an 8 mm socket and a screwdriver handle you can get to it just fine you can get a full hand on it and crank it all the way up and all the way down... When you take the plastic cap off you'll also we have to remove an aluminum hex washer there to get to the steel shaft which has an 8 mm hex

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wind it all the way out first. It should be easy going out . When fully out start going back in. If its stiff to begin with you have a problem. Even when in good condition its stiff at the heavy pre load end
Remember that as you are winding in its getting tighter and your hand is getting weaker, a short break to let hand recover helps. Also put a small dab of white paint on the knob so you know when every turn is done. You should feel a small click every half turn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts