Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run a Mitas E07 150/70-R18 rear for the last 12,000km, but it was getting down to the legal minimum tread so I removed the wheel, threw it into the boot (some call it a trunk) of the car and took it down to the bike shop to have it removed and a new Mitas E07+ installed. The E07+ is similar but has quite noticeable differences. When riding I very much notice how much less 'square' the profile is, this makes it feel much better cornering on the sealed roads. I'm unsure of how good the life span of this tyre will be compared to the older version, but already I'm preferring the feel of the tyre on the road. I've taken some corners at speed and it feels really good. We have corners with an advisory speed which I'm able to take at nearly double that speed without it being scary.

I'm still using a TKC-80 on the front because after 12,000km it still looks like it will be fine for a few more thousand kms.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Nice! I'm curious to see how the E07+ compares for longevity. I've read reports that it is not as long lasting, so I'd like to see how far it goes for you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love the E07+ rear. To date my favorite rear tire on my AT and I plan on getting another. I rolled 10k miles (16,093km) on my rear E07+. Front tire wise I never tried it since I've been turned off on chevron style fronts as I feel they just don't do well in sand and loose gravel. I prefer as more knobby style on the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s what I have on mine, only had the bike a few weeks. This Tire feels good to me on the rear on paved roads, which is important because I have come from sport bikes. The limited time I’ve spent off road with it has been good so far but still have to give it a good test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a pair of twins both with Mitas 07+ on the back and TKC80 front. We toured at high speed heavily laden around the South Island of NZ for 5500 km. In NZ the South Island roads are known to use local rock aggregate for chip seal that is far tougher than that found up in the North Island so running through a set of new tires in this type of tour is common. My mate uses the rear brake more and tended to leave his foot on the brake so much so that I had to replace the rear disc at 22k as it was out of range about 20k early. On the bike he rode the rear E07+ is toast at about 8000 km (750 km gravel) but the front TKC80 is minimally worn. On the bike I rode the rear tire at 7000 km is about 75% worn out but I could get another maybe 2000 km out of it in the North Island. My front TKC80 is looking quite worn I think because compared to my mate I use my front brake more and weigh 30 Kg more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did over 5,000km on my SI trip too, that's what took most of my E07, finished it off on an East cape trip (visited the East Cape Lighthouse, on to Gisborne and back home. The SI trip included Bike Week at Bannockburn, Vincent County Rally at Alexandra & Burt Munro Rally at Invercargill, along with some touring about (Catlins, etc).

I'm currently running 36 PSI rear and 32 PSI front with a TPMS to let me know when to top up a couple of PSI (I want to be careful because I'm not running tubes).

·
Registered
118 Posts
For my experiece, Plus is not so durable than older version. I had Michelin Anakee Wild in front and Mitas 07+ Dakar in rear on my last trip. 10000km with loaded bike and approx stock pressures all the time (front 29, rear 36 PSI), 50/50 Finnish, Swedish and Icelandic gravel and paved roads (and some Danish and Faroe Islandic paved roads also...). Both tyres worked well, but after somewhat 6000-7000km tyres started to keep howling noise when cornering on tarmac. Not sure was it Wild or 07+.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am wondering if anybody has changed rear inner tube on a rear Mitas E07 or E07+ on the side of the road, and I am asking about the plain non-Dakar version. I mention this as a friend of mine put the E07+ non-Dakar on a KTM 1190 and mentioned that the side walls were so still so stiff that he could safely use off road 0.9 bar / 13 psi without problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For my experiece, Plus is not so durable than older version. I had Michelin Anakee Wild in front and Mitas 07+ Dakar in rear on my last trip. 10000km with loaded bike and approx stock pressures all the time (front 29, rear 36 PSI), 50/50 Finnish, Swedish and Icelandic gravel and paved roads (and some Danish and Faroe Islandic paved roads also...). Both tyres worked well, but after somewhat 6000-7000km tyres started to keep howling noise when cornering on tarmac. Not sure was it Wild or 07+.
For what it's worth it the ride you mentioned sounds absolutely amazing. Glad to hear the Mitas performed well. I love the E07 rear and as I mentioned before I plan to get another. I've matched it with a Mitas E-09 Dakar on the front which I really liked and would easily get another one too, but currently I'm rocking a GT-723 which I'm also very pleased with as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a similar combo to what I'm thinking of running. How did the E07+ Dakar stick on the road? Also, How did it stick in the cold and wet? (actually, how did it perform in general?) My understanding is the standard E07+ is softer than the DAKAR (Correct?) I know the Annakee is pretty good everywhere.

CHEERS
CAMPBELL :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I run scorpian rally fronts ...best tyre on the market and ran a eo7+ great combo tho the rear only lasted me about 8,000 klms

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run scorpian rally fronts ...best tyre on the market and ran a eo7+ great combo tho the rear only lasted me about 8,000 klms
8000kms would be sweet. Only used to get 5-6000km out of sportbike tyres, so 8000km is good. The scorpions look great, but I think Annakee Wild might be better off-road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No cant agree on Annakee ....Having had one ..I couldn't wait to get rid of it
Interesting, why didn't you like it? The scorpions have huge blocks, which seem like they'd be good on the road - did you find them good off-road?? What kinds of surface did you ride? A mate had the scorpions on his T7 - he seemed to think they were ok. He's switched to a Karoo 3 on the rear though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting, why didn't you like it? The scorpions have huge blocks, which seem like they'd be good on the road - did you find them good off-road?? What kinds of surface did you ride? A mate had the scorpions on his T7 - he seemed to think they were ok. He's switched to a Karoo 3 on the rear though.
Vague on loose dirt, sand they are horrible and pull left or right in ruts ....The Pirelli Scorpion Rally MST is my go-to tyre on the front I cannot nor have found a better tyre ....I think your friend may have used a different Rally Tyre than I use in The blocks are small and spaced well it is a great tyre for the off rd stuff very solid and gives me great confidence in all-terrain ... It's not a good rd tyre but that is not why I use them ...I choose different rd tyres

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vague on loose dirt, sand they are horrible and pull left or right in ruts ....The Pirelli Scorpion Rally MST is my go-to tyre on the front I cannot nor have found a better tyre ....I think your friend may have used a different Rally Tyre than I use in The blocks are small and spaced well it is a great tyre for the off rd stuff very solid and gives me great confidence in all-terrain ... It's not a good rd tyre but that is not why I use them ...I choose different rd tyres

Oh, yep, he was running the standard Rally STRs that come on the T7 and also the Desert Sled (I think). So yes those would definitely be better on dirt and are slightly MORE knobby than the Annakees. I used my Annakees briefly in soft sand and they seemed to work. In harder packed sand they were amazing. Good on gravel at low pressures... I had them on my DR650 - amazing on road in all conditions and good-ish in sand. What kind of mileage did you get from your scorpion? Can you scrape pegs and get your knee down on road with that front? Might be worth a look if they are good in the dry and the wet and off-road, AND give more than 4000km of good service. Glad you've found something that works for you. Sooooo many choices, riding styles, and opinions - it is very hard to make an informed decision. Ordered my tyres yesterday (Annakee wild front, Mitas E07+ rear). Thanks heaps for your thoughts :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dont buy Knobs to travel hard on rd ......a dr650 is a lot different to an AT so to compare is pointless ...I get a constant 10k from them but are worn at 8k ...A good tyre for rd is a bad tyre for dirt ...and vice versa .....a 50/50 is bad at all of it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont buy Knobs to travel hard on rd ......a dr650 is a lot different to an AT so to compare is pointless ...I get a constant 10k from them but are worn at 8k ...A good tyre for rd is a bad tyre for dirt ...and vice versa .....a 50/50 is bad at all of it
View attachment 64647
Yep, kind of. It is great if you can afford to spend the money to change tyres everytime you want to do a different kind of riding, or have two sets of rims. - However, if you are only doing either dirt or road, I'm not sure why you don't just get two different bikes. Having ridden on full knobs (on road), I'm pretty sure that is NOT what I want - crap handling and grip, matched with 2000km mileage for a rear. Each to their own - sounds like you are pretty convinced for the kind of riding you do, only dirt - so sounds like the Scorpion will be rubbish for my requirements.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use them on tar and i change my own rubber ..but if I plan on a trip and most of my trips are dirt I run the knobs if I'm just riding on the rd for the nxt few months I swap my rubber out ...I look at it this way tyre changing is a thing you have to practice at and I probably change out tyres on my bike 4 times a yr depending whats going on ..it also makes for changes of flats on the side of the rd a breeze because I do it a lot ..I also buy my tyres local at the local mx shop to support him but I still fit them myself and balance

1 - 20 of 23 Posts