Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang,
After a bit of a wait, due to USPS goofing around in their shipping methods, we finally received our new rack and back rest. They are linked below:

The fit and finish is top notch. Not a whole lot involve with attaching the rack to the rear grab bar of the AT/AS but, I've seen way less quality fitment for similar circumstances. This is well done for sure. The rack is approximately 5/16" thick, solid plate aluminum. It's been semi-flat black powder coated. The back rest is also top notch. The sewing and attaching to the backing plate is very well done. The attachment to the rack is spot on with no need for any reaming of any holes etc. IT JUST FITS PERFECTLY!

I took the wife our for a brief ride and she's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY happier with some form of security in that back rest. She's used to our road sofa Goldwing. The company offers two different racks for the AT/AS. A shorter and longer version. I was originally gonna purchase the shorter one 'cause, I thought the longer one would look out of place. But, at the last minute, I changed my mind and, selected the long version. Boy, am I glad I did. I'm not planning on ultra long over night/camping trips like some of you so, I don't need super large luggage carrying capability. Short little runs here and there is all that's planned for that bike.

But, take a look, see if anything interests you. While I could have fabricated up one myself, I just finished doing it for my TW 200. But, for the Twin, I splurged.
Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Backrest looks solid. Don't want to lose your Number One like I almost did with my high school sweetheart.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
330 Posts
Ah, the Farkleing begins!

Looks good, nice quality stuff!

·
Registered
170 Posts
My girlfriend likes to lean back on my top case with pad - but it's like 7 years old and plastic (my ATAS is the third bike I've used it on). I'm nervous that the plastic is going to pop. Can the backrest mount directly to the rack - or do you need to use their plate?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My girlfriend likes to lean back on my top case with pad - but it's like 7 years old and plastic (my ATAS is the third bike I've used it on). I'm nervous that the plastic is going to pop. Can the backrest mount directly to the rack - or do you need to use their plate?
Robert,
To simply answer your question, yes, that's how this particular back rest is SUPPOSED to be mounted, directly to the rack. And, it was, in the beginning when I first put the system together. But, after I decided to add that wazoo Harbor Freight immitation top box, based on the clearance needed for the top to open fully, that would mean there would be a gap between the back rest and the box. That would look odd.

So, I came up with an idea to mount the back rest to HINGES. That allows the back rest to be completely up against back side of the top box but, when the top box needs to open, the back rest hinges forward, cool huh? The hinges are made from a standard residential door hinge. In other words, those are seriously strong hinges. And, not only that, the box itself also supports that back rest. Hope this answers your question.
Scott

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts