Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I ride a 2017 Africa twin and need to replace my tyres.

Im looking for a 70 % split road to off road riding terrain

any help would be much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Love my 50/50 Dunlop Missions. But I’m sure the mileage will be a bet less, then what you are looking for.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm quite happy with my motoz tractionator gps. Im on my 2nd set and will probably put a 3rd on. Its a do it all tire for me. Im a 50/50 rider, but I think they lend themselves 70/30 both ways....especially with the reversible rear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put a couple of Michelin Anakee Adventures on mine. Really pleased with them. Got them from the visor shop in NI. Good Lads 👍

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
I'm quite happy with my motoz tractionator gps. Im on my 2nd set and will probably put a 3rd on. Its a do it all tire for me. Im a 50/50 rider, but I think they lend themselves 70/30 both ways....especially with the reversible rear.
Tractionator GPS and Dunlop Trailmax Mission are both really nice tires on these bikes. Good longevity as well as good street manners for a 50/50 tire.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
What tyres to fit is an interesting question. As a life long Michelin fan on cars and trucks, I was amazed to see just how thin the casing was in the tread centre and the absence of any steel on some of their tyres, unlike the Bridgestone tyres. Our club held a tyre workshop that showed cross sections of dozens of casings, this was a real eye opener to me. I would say that puncture resistance performance is important. The only tyre I know anything about is the OE on this bike. Motorcycle tyre choices are definitely one man's meat and another man's poison. I might stick with Bridgestone, despite some saying they are made of wood, what I do know is, I'm staying with T/T tyres and not fitting tubes into T/L casings.

There must be some good tyre industry motorcycle performance data and statistics somewhere, as yet, it has eluded me. Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can only speak to what I purchased, which is the Mitas e07s (e07+ on the rear). These tires are pretty uncompromising for most dirt and off-road riding, and after they break in they feel fantastic on the street. I'd say it takes somewhere between 200-400 miles to to really get them broken in at first, though, so know that going in. Before they break in they make the bike feel a bit sluggish in handling, but I assure that does go away.

What you end up with after break-in is a tire that feels about 90% as smooth on the street as the stock tires felt, which means they generally feel great. They only thing I had to get used to was feeling them "walk" a little bit if doing a very hard U-turn - like when the bike is leaned very deeply. This is due to the cleat-like tread on the outside. It doesn't really amount to less traction or maneuverability, it just feels different than a smooth sidewall and you have to get used to it.

On the dirt, these tires sing! They grab traction over **** near anything and those same cleats on the sidewall help you climb out of ruts without any hesitation. I've run them over dirt, gravelly dirt, deep gravel, mud of varying depths and sand and I'm constantly floored by how they just seem to dig in and take hold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced my stock tires with Continental "ContiTrailAttack2" and have been happy with their performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs about 5,000 miles ago, and they're reaching the end of their life. They are rated 70/30, which is just about the type of riding I do. They have been excellent on the dirt & gravel roads I ride, and have excellent manners on rode. Overall, I've been very happy with them--just wish they would have lasted longer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anyone running Heidenau K60 Scout? I have a local friend who runs them on his BMW 1200GS, and 4 assorted KTMs. I really like the look of the rear tire design with a continuous tread down the middle. (sorry about misspelling on the picture).

·
Registered
92 Posts
That’s probably what I’ll get, IF I ever do. Ryan on F9 discusses that unbroken, or only slightly broke tread design on one of his tire videos. .

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
Anyone running Heidenau K60 Scout? I have a local friend who runs them on his BMW 1200GS, and 4 assorted KTMs. I really like the look of the rear tire design with a continuous tread down the middle. (sorry about misspelling on the picture). View attachment 56708
They wear well as far as mileage goes. Hard rubber compound. As a result, they don't do particularly well in the wet and can lead to some "adventurous" moments. I also found they have a stiff sidewall and a tendency to turn in slowly. It is not my favorite tire, but a lot of folks do love them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They wear well as far as mileage goes. Hard rubber compound. As a result, they don't do particularly well in the wet and can lead to some "adventurous" moments. I also found they have a stiff sidewall and a tendency to turn in slowly. It is not my favorite tire, but a lot of folks do love them.

What’s your current favorite?

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
What’s your current favorite?
I am really liking the Dunlop Trailmax Mission I currently have mounted. They are a 50/50 that handle like an 80/20. Quiet, bite into the corners, rounded profile that turns in easy. Handle well in the rain.

Another fave is the Motoz Tractionator GPS. They have a deep tread and will be a high mileage tire. They also handle well on the street. I was impressed with how well they handled about a 30 yard section of iced over road a couple years ago.

Also I like the Anakee Wild, though that one handles more like a 50/50. The tread is more aggressive and noisy, but a great tire.

Mitas E07 is another fave, though the profile is a bit more square than the Mission and I don't think it handles as well on the road.

But tires are like screen and seats. Everyone has their favorites and you can nitpick all of them :)

Don't get me wrong. The Heidenau K6O is a very good tire in many ways, I just don't particularly care for it. But that's just 1 opinion :)

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
If you like the center strip design, the Tractionator GPS does a take on that.

Dunlop did more of an offset with varying shapes on theirs.

Mitas E-07 more of an aggressive chevron.

Anakee Wild a more traditional knobby.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts