Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Cuchulainn, for knocking the reply info out of the park once again! I enjoy your passion for the forum. I used to have that in the Bose L1 forums in the 2000s. I know how much work goes into a really good post like that.

Sorry to hear that the Heidenau is a "hard" tire, not good in rain. I like riding in the rain.

I watched a Youtube video review on the KTM 390, and noticed Heidenau was the stock tire.

I like what you say about the Motoz Tractionator GPS, high mileage means a lot to me. Bikes go thru tires SO fast! My stock Bridgestones, at just over 2 months of riding, look to be worn down about 30%. If I need new tires next summer, I'll be sure and refer back here.

·
Administrator
1,916 Posts
I appreciate the comments, hopefully the info is somewhat helpful :)

I like riding in the rain as well, particularly in the summer. In Colorado we don't get a whole lot of it, so riding in the rain wearing mesh is my preference in summer. Wearing mesh you dry fast and it's a nice cool down in the meantime.

Are you certain about the Heidenau K60 being the OEM tire on the KTM 390? At least in the US, it is the TKC-70, which is also a very nice 70/30 tire.

Both the Dunlop Missions and the Motoz Tractionator GPS should provide around 7-8,000 miles. They don't wear like iron like the Heidenau do, but they do handle wet weather riding well.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,916 Posts
Wondering what air pressures to use with the Trailmax Missions?
Same as OEM?
For more technical off-road most of the tire reviewers have preferred between 30-32psi. Dialing in around there is a good start.

On-road, forest service, maintained dirt they do well right at the OEM recommended pressures.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

I ride a 2017 Africa twin and need to replace my tyres.

Im looking for a 70 % split road to off road riding terrain

any help would be much appreciated
Look at the Shinko 705s . I got 20 k out of a rear tyre which is astonishingly. I don't ride hard thru the gears but I do go around corners and they hang on well .

·
Registered
168 Posts
IMG_0573 (002).GIF
Right now I have a AX41 on the rear and a Shinko 804 on the front, Going to the Trail Max Mission next week and just ordered a set of these for the Georgia winter clay:

·
Registered
78 Posts
So I finally installed the Dunlop Trailmax Mission on my ATAS I've had since last year. After a puncture, performed a tubeless conversion and mounted the Trailmax Mission. Just did about 150 miles on pavement and really like them so far! No pics on the bike yet...
2015 Honda ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires 1.jpg

2015 Honda ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires 2.jpg

2015 Honda ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires 4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,589 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can only speak to what I purchased, which is the Mitas e07s (e07+ on the rear)...Before they break in they make the bike feel a bit sluggish in handling, but I assure that does go away...after break-in is a tire that feels about 90%...which means they generally feel great. They only thing I had to get used to was feeling them "walk" a little bit if doing a very hard U-turn due to the cleat-like tread on the outside. On the dirt, these tires sing! They grab traction over **** near anything and those same cleats on the sidewall help you climb out of ruts without any hesitation. I've run them over dirt, gravelly dirt, deep gravel, mud of varying depths and sand and I'm constantly floored by how they just seem to dig in and take hold.
Very descriptive explanation of how these tires "feel", thanks very much!.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts