Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tires

Hello folks,

what tires do you use on your bike? Mine was equipped with Continental TKC80's (twinduro's). I found them too knobby for hard road use, so I changed them after 300 km for TKC70's. Which are called "twinduro" too. However their name, today I did some 10 km off-road and, they are far too slippery. Is there something like the best of both worlds?

Regards
Bart

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Bart

I'm waiting for the new Michelin Anakee Wild (which is also quite offroad situated but should be better on road and have longer road life than the TKC80).

I will install Mitas E-07. They aren't avaible for tube tires but I will fit tubeless on my tube wheels. Should work. I always ran Mitas E-07 on my previous R1200GS. They are good and road but also quite good offroad. As long as it doesn't get to muddy. They are quite cheap to!

Arne

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey Bart

I'm waiting for the new Michelin Anakee Wild (which is also quite offroad situated but should be better on road and have longer road life than the TKC80).

I will install Mitas E-07. They aren't avaible for tube tires but I will fit tubeless on my tube wheels. Should work. I always ran Mitas E-07 on my previous R1200GS. They are good and road but also quite good offroad. As long as it doesn't get to muddy. They are quite cheap to!

Arne
Cheap is always good :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'v got this reply from Michelin UK about Anakee Wild:

Thanks for your interest in the new Anakee Wild tyres.

The good news is that we are planning to make the rear 18" size you need for the new CRF, however it is not going to be available until the summer of next year, as things stand.

Sorry it's not better news,
So ride slowly and preserve your tyres until then

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've read some forums and can't really decide what are the best tires for my use.
I know everyone has their own opinion on tires, but as an adventure rider newbie, I will basically rely in opinions of others before I test it out. I plan to take the AT as my first light off road ride lessons, and slowly learn how to do it properly.

Before my current AT purchase, I have only ridden on road tires. Riding mostly B roads up and down mountains on naked bikes like Sr500, Street Triple and Triumph Bonneviles etc.

What is the best option for mostly road use, but with ability to take it light off road, woods, gravel, etc?

I read Contiential TKC 70 seems to be pretty good? And Michelin Anakee Wild (which are not released yet for the AT).
Is there really a Do It All tire?

The OEM tires doesn't really promote confidence, since I had a near off already on light mud. They're ok on the road, bit tricky in even wet paved road.

Any opinion would be helpful.
Thanks
Rich.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply.
I'll need to see if the loca laws allows me to put two different makes of tires on one bike. Being in Germany means there a a few limits...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, the Contiential TKC 70 gets very mixed user feedback reviews on revezilla.com the rear is highly praised but many said the front was wobbly and weave inducing from speeds as low as 75kph. It's a shame as initially they looked like a very good match for my riding needs.

My requirements are similar I have a 600km trip to get to the mountain roads which I really enjoy but often I can encounter light mud as you put it (wet compacted dirt) on several sections, I would like to get through these muddy sections at a reasonable speed and still have confidence of good grip in the twisties and 160kph cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah I read similar reviews on forums but seems a lot of them are for the big GS.

I read a long forum discussion with the TKC 70 on the Tiger forum, it seems to be handling well. I'm still checking all reviews and forums about them before jumping onboard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have read some really favourable reviews (from people I trust) about the Motoz Tractionator Adventure tyres. They are temporarily sold out in Australia, but should be a very good all-round tire for the AT! I beleive it's going to be a while yet before we see the Anakee Wild in 21/18 sizes, but that (being a radial knobby!!) should be a great choice as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
@Washryc I've been doing some more searching and Shinko 705 looks well respected (doesn't hurt that it's cheap and looks good either).

Couple of questions if anyone's up for it.
What's wrong with the OEM Dunlops I don't know the model name and the Trailmax 91 has a different tread patten?

Why do these tires come in radial and ply, I thought ply tires died out with my old Ford Anglia why would you use one over the other?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've always had a fondness for the Continental TKC80 and fitted them on previous Africa Twins, the 800GSA which I traded, and my current CRF1000.

Worth considering is your riding style and the average conditions you might be riding in.

I personally do very little off road, but on the occasions I do, have much better confidence in the TKC's. Here in the UK we get more than our fair share of rain, but the TKC's cope very well with not only wet, but greasy roads too. I'm sure they're not as good as a road biased tyre, but I am used to them.

You need also to bear in mind that the rear TKC has a speed limit of 99mph, just in case you enjoy the autobahn. The front has a speed restriction too, but I can't remember what it is.

The trade offs with the TKC are life (you'll be lucky to get 5-6000 miles on road use) and a lack of grip when panic braking (it happened to me once, and the stains in my pants were shocking!!!)

Bob :laugh:

·
Registered
288 Posts
ive ridden the lot and raced the lot on big trail bikes up to 1150cc. Mitas are king. Use any and all and you will love them. Just pick how aggressive you want and stick em on. Superb.
Thanks for this, Ive never heard of these as Im new to Adventure bikes and these look a great price and you don't seem hesitant on recommendations either :)

1 - 20 of 185 Posts