Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
159 Posts
Sorry for the lateness in replies.
Thanks everyone for their recommendations!
I checked a few of those, I like the Mitas, but they don't have the size for the AT, well not legally for the German roads anyways...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,
I've just returned from Wales doing a 2 day off road course on the AT, all 16 of the brand new AT's had Karoo 3's fitted.The terrain we rode on was very very muddy and well rutted and steep in some places the tyres seemed to handle just about anything you threw at them and they felt good on the road too.....I'm fairly new too off roading but it's pretty amazing what a 1000cc adventure bike can do with the right tyres and some good tuition......
Big thanks to the guys at the Honda Adventure Centre in Wales

·
Registered
54 Posts
Karoo 3 are brilliant all-round tires. Had them on my Terra as well as the 1150GS. One front lasts 2 rears, or thereabouts.

Heidenau K60 are reasonably good for 3ooo k's and then horrible for as long as you can bear them!! The rear tyre particularly, square off and while there will be plenty of thread remaining, you spend every ride just wishing that the damned things were finished so that you could get your beloved bike back!

·
Super Moderator
159 Posts
Karoo 3 are brilliant all-round tires. Had them on my Terra as well as the 1150GS. One front lasts 2 rears, or thereabouts.

Heidenau K60 are reasonably good for 3ooo k's and then horrible for as long as you can bear them!! The rear tyre particularly, square off and while there will be plenty of thread remaining, you spend every ride just wishing that the damned things were finished so that you could get your beloved bike back!
Thx for the feed back.
How many km did you get out of the Karoo 3s rear?
I don't plan to go off road every time I'm out. But it's good to know I have tyres that are capable and ready to go. The OEM just doesn't cut it on wet roads or anything beyond gravel I feel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How many km did you get out of the Karoo 3s rear?
About 4-5.000 k's on the GS before they were toast (had 2 sets) and have run the Terra for about 5.000 k's now, and reckon it'll do another 2 or 3 k's before it's had it time. Just traded in the Terra and picking up the AT in a couple of days. Have bought a Motoz Tractionator Adventure for the rear, but they are sold out on the 21' so will probably just stick with the OEM's while I run the bike in and put the Motoz's on next.

Cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had karoo 3,s on my old gs800 and found them very good, but will try and fit anakee wilds once my oem tyres need changing too see what they are like! But would be happy to go back to the karoos if no good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
And u took your bike to France on a trailer? :surprise:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I read reviews that they are now the longest lasting tyres.
What are they like on road?
Hi, I have read that too......on the road it felt a little weird to begin with but then you get used to them, they do dip in a little on corners but have good feel, it did rain a little on the way back to the base and they seem capable but I was a bit nervous as it was there bike with only 60 miles on the clock lol.......

After reviews I'm going for them :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I read reviews that they are now the longest lasting tyres.
What are they like on road?
I tried Hidenau K60s on my Super Tenere. The wet grip was really bad — way worse than the AT's stock tires which are pretty poor in the wet — and they squared off after 6,000 km. They also would set off the TC lamp when I accelerated hard, meaning the dry grip wasn't that good either. I recommend you give them a miss.

I'm trying Shinko 804/805s next.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Michelin Belgium replied my mail and told me the Anakee Wild tires won't be available until Summer 2017 for the AT.

21 - 40 of 150 Posts