Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts
43 Posts
I am torn on a new set of tires on the AT. I liked the OEM dunlops for my daily commute (104 miles 85 mph a day). I have a set of Shinko 804/805's on for the fall dirt season and I am kind of bothered with all the lateral slide they have in the dirt. Is there a set of AT tires that resist lateral slide well? Mileage isn't a huge deal I spoon on my own tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just put on the Shinko 805/804 tires and really like them, too.
You can only tell they are a knobby at very low speeds otherwise they feel like a regular road tire. Stick well on the highway.
Very impressed with them in gravel they really dig in to loose surfaces.
We'll see about how they wear as I use them. For $200 a set this is a really good set of tires.
Did you order the Shinko's on line? I'm looking for a set... thanks, Oli

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mitas E07 rear and TKC80 front are sitting in the garage waiting to get spooned on for next season so no feedback yet.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Fortnine has the shinko 804/805s.

804 Front | 805 Rear

Just over $200 CDN for a set. I really like them on my bike. 6,000 kilometres and there's at least 50% left.

Did you order the Shinko's on line? I'm looking for a set... thanks, Oli

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mitas E07 rear and TKC80 front are sitting in the garage waiting to get spooned on for next season so no feedback yet.
I've been running a set of E07 on my AT and so far love the back tire but not so fond of the front. I'll be putting a TKC80 on the front and see what I think of that combo next season as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Has anyone got experience with the TKC70s as 80/20 tires? I combine long distance touring with occasional gravel and fire roads. I don't plan to climb mountains any time soon.
The OEM Dunlops are great on the road, very grippy and smooth. They are not terribly good off road on anything more challenging than a gravel road.
At 8500km, the rear is about half worn, the front shows little wear and no cupping.
The reviews on the TKC70 seem favorable, but don't give much longer term data.
I have not tried the TKC70 but I can tell you I think the Pirelli Trail 2 is very good at what you list as your requirements (very good onroad, dual compound, very good on gravel and formed roads, very good on wet and cold roads where I would consider the stock tires very bad)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have not tried the TKC70 but I can tell you I think the Pirelli Trail 2 is very good at what you list as your requirements (very good onroad, dual compound, very good on gravel and formed roads, very good on wet and cold roads where I would consider the stock tires very bad)
Is anyone aware of who has these Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 stocked in OZ, or more specifically South East Queensland? Everytime I've looked online I've had little success. Have seen the new Rally STR but not these specifically. I have read good reviews too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have just completed a 2000km ride on a set of new MotoZ Tractionator GPS tyres. The ride was approx 50/50 paved and gravel roads. I thought that the rear was excellent on all surfaces and hung on well in the dirt when pushed sideways. The front did not give me as much confidence as it tended to want to turn in on the loose stuff. Dropping the front pressure might have helped but on constantly changing surfaces I decided to leave it at around 28 psi. They were a bit noisy on paved roads when tipped off the centre of the the tread. Looks like I will get plenty of miles out of them as they are showing no wear at all. I think that I might be looking for a different front tyre which is a better match to the off road capability of the rear. My OEM Dunlops were a better road tyre but nowhere as capable off road as these.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've been running a set of E07 on my AT and so far love the back tire but not so fond of the front. I'll be putting a TKC80 on the front and see what I think of that combo next season as well.
I've liked the E07 rear on my DR650 so I've just had a nice new E07 150/70/18 put on my rear wheel. I really am not sure what I want on the front, but right now I've just had a new TKC80 put on, I'll see how I like that.

I'd love feedback from anyone using the same combo. Also, anyone got any other suggestions for good gravel tyre for the front to pair with a rear E07?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR yet? They look like a good compromise but so far I have found limited availability in Canada. I saw them on Fortnine for about 400/set. Seems a bit spendy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
MY18 OE Bridgestone A41

Hi,

Any feedback on the MY18 At's fitted wit Bridgestone A41's? Considering these when I ditch the Dunlops!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I've just returned from Wales doing a 2 day off road course on the AT, all 16 of the brand new AT's had Karoo 3's fitted.The terrain we rode on was very very muddy and well rutted and steep in some places the tyres seemed to handle just about anything you threw at them and they felt good on the road too.....I'm fairly new too off roading but it's pretty amazing what a 1000cc adventure bike can do with the right tyres and some good tuition......
Big thanks to the guys at the Honda Adventure Centre in Wales
Did you get to try the Karoo's on wet pavement?...I've had a couple of scary (OS) moments with them on my Husqvarna TR650 strada. Once I was coming on to the road from the shoulder just as rain was falling and had put on my rain gear and the TR650 (no traction control) violently skidded side to side and it was like trying to hand on to a bucking bronco! I've it just slide, (although I have ABS) on slime that had washed over asphalt...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just completed a 4,000 mile trip in Europe taking the bike to just over 8,000 miles on the OEM tyres. Last 2 days in France in massive thunderstorms and torrential rain (had to slow to 30 mph on the motorway as you couldn't see the road). Tyres were fine but just starting to throw the bike off line over the overbanding and white lines. Thinking of Avon Trailrider next as I ride 90 % highway and 10 % gravel, any opinions ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking at the recommendations and many of the better tires are only available tubeless. Is it okay to use these with a tube?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think the E07 and E07+ are available in both sizes - 150 and 140.
The 150 is the stock size for the bike but I've run 140 80/18 just because it has been the only size available - no issues.

Hello, I am going to put a set of Mitas E07 on my bike. What do you think is the best for the rear and why? 150/70 E07+ or 140/80 E07 the old version?

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well last week I went out and purchased some rim protectors, which suck they slipped off and I scratched the heck out of my rim, and an extra pair of tire irons ~12 inches long. Had previously purchased a bead breaker device at a shop in town and a balancing stand from HF that everyone panned because of untrue bars, mine’s straight. I special ordered a 12 Pk of “NoMar” chrome weights for $50 US (which will now not be used). Bought the HF motorcycle lift with 20% off for $75. This is a great lift for the AT. Took the rear wheel off removed the Dunlop that came with it and started to install the new Shinko, factory AT size and radial also with a slightly better speed rating. With some dish soap and window spray I got the first bead over the rim quickly. Put in a new tube, save the old one which is in good shape, and started with the second bead after being sure the tire was in the correct direction and the marker lined up with the valve stem. Got it over the rim 3/4 of the way but not any further. Always installed my own motorcycle tires this was a first. Tore up the bead took both wheels and tires to my dealership and they are there awaiting a second new Shinko 705 (70/30) rear tire and machine assisted installation. I bought the pair front and rear initially both 705’s.

The question persists that if, like what happened to my Pickup also last week, I get a puncture on a desolate off the beaten path “dirty back road” (B52s) while alone, as I usually ride, what am I going to do if I can’t reach AAA, etc.? Kind of dampens my long trip plans a bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking at the Mitas E-09 Dakar 80/20 tires online now & wondering if these can go onto my stock AT tube type rims?
Thanks!

121 - 140 of 176 Posts