Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes. With a tube inside of course.

Looking at the Mitas E-09 Dakar 80/20 tires online now & wondering if these can go onto my stock AT tube type rims?
Thanks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
No problem. I used a variant of that tire the E12 and it was excellent. Superb offroad and really surprisingly good on the road. No issues at all and I used the 140 80/18 size of the tire.

Thank you Sir!

Reactions: MPNM

·
Registered
29 Posts
No problem. I used a variant of that tire the E12 and it was excellent. Superb offroad and really surprisingly good on the road. No issues at all and I used the 140 80/18 size of the tire.
Good to know, & that information is most helpful. I was wondering what other sizes would fit so it is much appreciated.
I gotta get knobby tires or a way more aggressive pattern on there soon for the desert riding I do here in Northern NM.
Loving this motorcycle more and more everyday.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello folks,

what tires do you use on your bike? Mine was equipped with Continental TKC80's (twinduro's). I found them too knobby for hard road use, so I changed them after 300 km for TKC70's. Which are called "twinduro" too. However their name, today I did some 10 km off-road and, they are far too slippery. Is there something like the best of both worlds?

Regards
Bart
I agree Bart. I did few kms today in not too bad mud on very short section of a dirt road and the tyers became very slippery indeed. Disappointingly the profile of the tyre didn’t clean quick enough on the dry sections so the grip was getting worse and worse. Pity I expected more as I am not a hardcore off road guy I thought I need no knobby stuff.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree Bart. I did few kms today in not too bad mud on very short section of a dirt road and the tyers became very slippery indeed. Disappointingly the profile of the tyre didn’t clean quick enough on the dry sections so the grip was getting worse and worse. Pity I expected more as I am not a hardcore off road guy I thought I need no knobby stuff.
Try the Metzeler Karoo 3, it's a true 50/50. Very impressive off road unless in extreme conditions and very good at speed in twisty roads in the dry. Didn't feel any wobble or bumpiness or noise. Can't comment on wet roads but from the reviews you need to just adapt to the road conditions which is normal with any tire and more so with a tire that'll perform so well offroad. The Honda Adventure Centre here in the UK uses them and I thought they were great.

From that experience and great reviews, I'm soon getting the Karoo Streets, which are lightly more street orientated but still a good 70/30 tire.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yikes - I took my ATAS offroad for the first time and it was scary as heck. I went on some rocky, rutted jeep trails which I expected to be difficult with the stock Dunlops - but even the smooth dual track was squirrely. I had a 1990 Super T that was actually dirt worthy, followed by a Tiger and then a Vstrom which weren't. I thought the AT would be more like the Super T than the Vstrom. I'm hoping that it's mostly the tires (yeah, yeah, I'm sure some of it is the years).

Cornering 70%
Wet traction 10%
dual track 10%
gravel 8%
rocky rutted trails 2%

I'd like to occasionally be able to do the rocky rutted trails, but without giving up the rest. The centerline on the K60 make it slide on wet roads. I don't have many places I two wheel with soft mud or even just actual dirt. I liked Shinko 705's on my CRF250L - but I want something with more cornering (the stock Dunlops corner nicely). The Pirelli MT90AT's seem like they'll work the best for me. Anyone else think the stock Dunlops are terrible in the dirt - or is it just me?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try the Metzeler Karoo 3, it's a true 50/50. Very impressive off road unless in extreme conditions and very good at speed in twisty roads in the dry. Didn't feel any wobble or bumpiness or noise. Can't comment on wet roads but from the reviews you need to just adapt to the road conditions which is normal with any tire and more so with a tire that'll perform so well offroad. The Honda Adventure Centre here in the UK uses them and I thought they were great.

From that experience and great reviews, I'm soon getting the Karoo Streets, which are lightly more street orientated but still a good 70/30 tire.
Thanks for the idea i will consider it definetly. Has anyone tried Avon trail rider? A friend of mine is very pleased having it on his Tenere. I also saw the trekk rider thst looks similar but apparently it”s a 50-50 tyre.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have done adventure riding over 200,000+ miles across 40 countries now..in that time I have tried a whole array of tires.

last ride 22,000 miles over 11 countries to Africa including entire length of the Western Sahara Desert down as far as gambia and South Senegal and back.. 60% of which was savage off road.

On this ride used 5 different kinds of tires..

Worst tire I ever used: Metzeler KAROO 3 '.. had them put on in Dakar and destroyed them in just 5 days. Utter overrated garbage.

Best tire ever used hands down: Mitas e07+ Dakar 50/50 tire. Absolutely phenomenal tire both on and off road dry or wet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am torn on a new set of tires on the AT. I liked the OEM dunlops for my daily commute (104 miles 85 mph a day). I have a set of Shinko 804/805's on for the fall dirt season and I am kind of bothered with all the lateral slide they have in the dirt. Is there a set of AT tires that resist lateral slide well? Mileage isn't a huge deal I spoon on my own tires.
If you like the Shinko 805's except for the side slide from the rear in mud - then you should like the TKC80's. They are a very similar tire, except the blocks in the rear have more separation - which cuts down on side slip. They don't wear quite as well as the Shinko's, and don't work as well in deep sand, and they cost more. But they also don't have the loose spot when leaning over on pavement. The 805's channels between the blocks on the edges line up - giving you a point at a moderate lean angle where they get squishy and loose. You can get used to it - but it's more of an issue the heavier you bike is - especially with a passenger. I liked them on my CRF250L, and I have a set ready to go on my XR650L - but I won't put them on my AT. I bought a CRF250L in 2013 because I wanted something I could use to chase my daughter on her bike - and I swore I would never own another carbureted bike or a KTM. It was a great bike - but very limited in power. I was going to upgrade to a CRF450L as a companion to my ATAS - but after I helped a couple of friends calm down the twitchy throttle on theirs I realized the torque and flywheel inertia (luggability?) of the old school 650's was something I liked more than the 450's light weight. I miss the FI, water cooling, fuel gauge, clock and so much more. The XR650L is a dinosaur - but I'm a better rider on the dinosaur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To Follow up:

I swapped for a pair of Shinko 804/805 in Mississippi and then a new set again in Utah.

They are fantastic tyres through all terrain and the last set lasted from Utah off road to Oregon then on the road from there to Victoria then ALL THE WAY TO THE EAST COAST!

I was dubious that they would last and kept stopping at every large town to see if a new one was available then I would look at the rear and chance it until the next town.
I'm running the same tires and like them a lot. The price is great. Had to get use to the front felt like the tire pressure was low. Have 4000kms on them . Mostly paved and poorly paved country roads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tires

Hello folks,

what tires do you use on your bike? Mine was equipped with Continental TKC80's (twinduro's). I found them too knobby for hard road use, so I changed them after 300 km for TKC70's. Which are called "twinduro" too. However their name, today I did some 10 km off-road and, they are far too slippery. Is there something like the best of both worlds?

Regards
Bart
Hi, I just put the Motoz Tractionator GPS on my AT and am very happy. They have good grip on the pavement and on gravel roads and dirt. Reviews say that they last a long time as well. I put them on myself and it was a chore!

·
Banned
35 Posts
Comparisons including the Motoz Tractionator GPS.
Burned through the stockers then put Mitas(front wore all freaky/cup a thon! With that much load you need a good stiff carcus😁@? Last year ran Shinko 804/805 combo over 5000m. Best yet,great all around tires. Currently have Kenda big blocs mounted. Pretty agressive tires,though i feel the front does not have the build/tread pattern to handle said load. Stiff carcus!😜

·
Registered
315 Posts
Willy runs the Shinko 804/805 combo. He's really pleased with their performance off-road here in the Florida sand though he did get stuck once by getting too slow in some deep, dry sand but that was on him, not the tires. He had to dismount and push/walk her out to the side to get going again.

IMG_6070.JPG

Here's a great video for looking through 50/50 and 80/20 products.

Cheers.

Reactions: TwinWrangler

·
Banned
35 Posts
Willy runs the Shinko 804/805 combo. He's really pleased with their performance off-road here in the Florida sand though he did get stuck once by getting too slow in some deep, dry sand but that was him, not the tires. He had to dismount and push/walk her out to the side to get going again.

View attachment 55187

Here's a great video for looking through 50/50 and 80/20 products.

Cheers.
O

141 - 160 of 176 Posts