Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
Willy runs the Shinko 804/805 combo. He's really pleased with their performance off-road here in the Florida sand though he did get stuck once by getting too slow in some deep, dry sand but that was him, not the tires. He had to dismount and push/walk her out to the side to get going again.

View attachment 55187

Cheers.
Willy - nice combination of colours.

It looks like your AT is ready for battle.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Willy - nice combination of colours.

It looks like your AT is ready for battle.
Thanks DT. The red bling was the previous owner's contribution and I try to keep it going within reason. I have no idea what he spent on everything but it's all top drawer stuff, much of it from the EU. I suspect it's nearly $2.5k back-of-the-envelope. I do get a lot of compliments on the bike.

She just needs some Denalis up front. I've noticed it is very easy to outrun her headlights at night without trying too hard. With those and maybe a rear spring upgrade I'll be off to CA and then AK. Such is the plan.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Evening all, i see a few list the Continents TA2 as having a road bias. Has anyone tried anything else designed for tarmac as I’m doing lots of road miles this year?
Thanks Barry

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our motorcycle club held recent tyre workshop covering all matters tyres. As a life long fan of Michelin (mainly on cars and trucks) I was shocked to see how the the tyre thickness and presence of steel varied at the centre of tread section. Some Michelin's were wafer thin compared to say Bridgestone. If these were on a tubeless application, the casing thickness for fitting a plug was very thin indeed. Seeing tyre casings sectioned is a real eye opener. How all this plays out in the real world is of course another matter. God knows what tyres I replace the OEM with, puncture resistance rating will be high on my list of considerations. I don't have anything against Bridgestone as a brand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve currently got E09 rear + Scorpion Rally front, which has been great and longevity good for an off-road oriented combo. I’m thinking of E07+ plus TKC80 next. Fronts usually last longer, will the TKC80 front last as long as the E07+ rear?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I’ve currently got E09 rear + Scorpion Rally front, which has been great and longevity good for an off-road oriented combo. I’m thinking of E07+ plus TKC80 next. Fronts usually last longer, will the TKC80 front last as long as the E07+ rear?
Definitely! The TKC-80 front will outlast the E07+ rear by quite a bit. I like the TKC-80 front for grip and braking ability in the gravel while at the same time it seems to handle hard cornering on the tarmac very well - all while lasting a long time. I'm on my 2nd Mitas rear and 2nd TKC-80 front, I need a new rear but the front still has plenty left.

What I have gotten:
E07 rear: ~10,000 km
E07+ rear: ~9,000 km (I think I prefer the profile of the E07+ even if it doesn't last quite as long at the E07 did)
TKC-80 Front: ~12,000 km

Actually ,I replaced the front at around that distance due to an upcoming 5,000km trip, but I could have gotten at least another 1,000 km or more. Maybe it is more like 13,000 + km

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any opinion on the TKC70 Rocks on the rear? I find the factory tires on my 2018 ATAS are not very confidence inspiring on hard packed dirt at all. Looking for something with good road manners that will do decent on hard packed dirt and maybe loose gravel roads. I dont venture much more off road on this bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looking for something with good road manners that will do decent on hard packed dirt and maybe loose gravel roads. I dont venture much more off road on this bike.
I'm needing a new rear. I currently have a Mitas E07+ and I'm thinking that I'll probably just replace it with another one because it works great on the road and it works well on gravel and hard packed dirt and will handle softer stuff OK. It would probably suffer on slippery mud, but most tyres do. I have managed around 9,000 on my current E07+ and over half that was with the bike fully loaded up (I don't pack light for long trips).

Loaded bike:

I'm not opposed to trying something different, but the Mitas has performed well while also lasting well. I don't want to pay more for a TKC-80 rear that won't last half as long. I don't want a 90/10 tyre that is great on the road but a real nightmare on gravel and dirt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i haven't read through this entire thread to see whats what, but i am super impressed with the Shinko's. Cheap as hell, great grip on the road and holy cow what a difference off road. Very confidence inspiring. I suspect they will not be excellent in thick mud given the parallel tread blocks, but otherwise.....very happy.

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
i haven't read through this entire thread to see whats what, but i am super impressed with the Shinko's. Cheap as ****, great grip on the road and holy cow what a difference off road. Very confidence inspiring. I suspect they will not be excellent in thick mud given the parallel tread blocks, but otherwise.....very happy.
Which Shinko are you using? 804/805 I am guessing from the comments about the tread pattern. Mud performance isn't a strength. They clear mud well, but lack the lateral grip that an offset pattern can provide.

But an all around good performer at a great price.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently installed a pair of Dunlop Mission Trailmax on my 2017 ATA. So far I've ran them on Tarmac (Wet and Dry), Gravel and Packed Dirt. So far really good to be honest. On dry tarmac it sticks as good as any tire I've ever used (I also dont ride like a bat out of hell, but the tires stick). On wet tarmac, again, they held well while on twisties. On loose gravel and packed dirt, they were awesome. I have not done any mud, sand or rock yet, but that is coming. The compound seems pretty hard but so far so good.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i haven't read through this entire thread to see whats what, but i am super impressed with the Shinko's. Cheap as ****, great grip on the road and holy cow what a difference off road. Very confidence inspiring. I suspect they will not be excellent in thick mud given the parallel tread blocks, but otherwise.....very happy.
Hola Buick,

Having run these tires around FL across asphalt, mud and sand for over 4,000 miles I will say they do just fine in muddy conditions. Are they better than some of the other off-road-heavy ADV tires? I'll post when I know after my next set which won't be the Shinkos. Why you might ask?

Well, when the tire was new, the big blocks on the tire were rounded like this:

Early on, they didn't make much noise--no singing on the asphalt as it were. But today the central blocks are beginning to flatten out especially on the rear. The blocks are now slapping down on the pavement with enough acoustic energy to be noticed--kind of like slapping a lot of tiny sandals onto the pavement as you roll along at speed. The result is road noise that is now noticeable around 45 mph and up. I still have plenty of meat on these tires and I suspect the noise will only grow until I shed these. The noise isn't objectionable - yet. But it's definitely there and it wasn't before.

IMG_6129.JPG

Bottom line, they do great in sand & mud but there is a slight cost at speed on pavement as they wear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the Motoz Tractionator Adventure tires installed back in early June. Off road performance is more important to me than anything else. They are true performers in dirt, hard & loose packed gravel roads, rocks and shale. I'm super happy with them so far. No mud to speak of yet. Someone said earlier here that there was no road noise...I think they're pretty rude on the pavement, especially if I haven't aired them back up for the highway. They definitely howl at highway speeds even with proper inflation. But I don't care. They perform well enough on the road for me but I don't push them really hard. They stick in places I would expect the weight of the bike to make them slip...so I like...I like a lot.

Edit: I have put them through some pretty ugly stuff and they are holding up well. No serious cuts or abrasions in the tread blocks, the sides are pristine...those big knobs definitely do their job. Tough tires. Will buy again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My experience with the Shinko Big block 804/805 was on a DL1000 Vstrom, but is similar to Wee Willy’s report. The front worked great in all conditions and lasted quite well. The rear big blocks became giant paddles as the rear got worn. I pulled the rear off before they were 1/2 worn out and replaced it with a TKC80 which gave considerably better hook up in the dirt, but also cost as much as the entire set of Shinkos.

I converted my AT to tubeless and mounted a set of Shinko 705’s on it, but that doesn’t really give me the off pavement grip I want for Vermont dirt roads. Have a set of Kenda Big Blocks waiting to be installed. Anyone have any experience with them on their AT? My only experience with them was on an Aprilia Pegaso 650 thumper where they worked great but didn’t last very well.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts