Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s a Honda very reliable but this one got a lot of new features. Extended warranty is around $1000 for 4 years. Should I buy it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think only during initial warranty period, picking up new AT on thursday trying to decide if I should go ahead now or wait, I will confirm how long i have to make a decision.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @Dan Reed.

I never buy extended warranty for anything.

However, given the new tech in the 2020 ATAS ES DCT (whew - that is a fully-loaded Africa Twin), and the first model year with many of these features, I would be compelled. I think you have time to commit within the first year of new ownership.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm with 2xThumper...for everything except vehicles. I have saved thousands on repairs to on-board electronics, 4x4 systems & transmissions with extended warranties. That said, aftermarket warranties in my opinion are to be avoided like the plague. Manufacturers like Honda, Ford, Hyundai and others that offer in-house extended warranties are where it's at. At $250/year seems like cheap insurance to me when there are so many non-repairable and electronic items on vehicles now. Most parts aren't repaired anymore, they're diagnosed w/ electronic gizmos and parts are changed out. The old school mechanics of yester-year that were part fabricator and part magician are mostly long gone I think.

I'm only into my first few months with a Honda warranty so I'll keep you posted...hopefully all will go well. I have a 3 year extended plan on my ATAS.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I hadn't bought an extended warranty for anything in my life, tho the AT was the first new "vehicle" I've purchased. I did buy the extended warranty on my bike. Tho it's a '17, I still felt like an early adopter and really wanted some protection. So far, it's been a waste of money, but I've still got years to go so we'll see. Forks have been the only thing I've called about investigating, but it sounded unlikely they'd be covered. Said they would need video of it. Really impractical actually with it being intermittent, a commitment of time, and I wanted them upgraded anyway.

Anyway, if I had a dct '16 or 17, or' 18 and up, I'd get the warranty. '16 or' 17 manual, I'd skip it.

Just my 2 cents. All the bells and whistles on the new bike, I'd feel compelled to get it. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I would get it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I paid considerably less than that for the warranty extension on my 2017 manual clutch. I know with Yamahas the dealers can charge vastly different prices for the Y.E.S. Warranty extension, and you don’t have to buy the extension with the bike or even from the same dealership, which led people to buy It from a certain Alabama dealership that would discount it down to $350 for the added 4 years coverage. I wonder if the Honda situation is similar?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am really on the fence just bought 2017 DCT left over and for 60 months $505.00 if you want with road side assistance it runs 565.00. may be worth it. What do you guys think?

Reactions: dallas

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am really on the fence just bought 2017 DCT left over and for 60 months $505.00 if you want with road side assistance it runs 565.00. may be worth it. What do you guys think?
Even at $565 for 60 mos that’s still less than 10 bucks/mo....if it was me I’d take it and run!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I came kind of close to buying the 60 months for about $500. The roadside assistance piece was actually more tempting than the warranty part.

As mentioned above, if you think you want the extended warranty, shop every dealer in your area, and maybe a few that are not. They make so much on them that they will cut each other's throats to sell one.

Honda has continued to send me offers over the past year...

I ultimately did not do it. I never buy the warrantys. I guess I consider it "self insurance." Some day it may cost me, but it won't break me. In the mean time, I will continue to "invest" the money in farkles!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I came kind of close to buying the 60 months for about $500. The roadside assistance piece was actually more tempting than the warranty part.

As mentioned above, if you think you want the extended warranty, shop every dealer in your area, and maybe a few that are not. They make so much on them that they will cut each other's throats to sell one.

I ultimately did not do it. I never buy the warrantys. I guess I consider it "self insurance." Some day it may cost me, but it won't break me. In the mean time, I will continue to "invest" the money in farkles!
I bought 60 additional months on my 2020 for about $100/year. I never buy them either but like others said there’s a lot of new electronic stuff on this one. The dealer discounted the bike about that much too. Also there’s the crappy gas tank issue on the AS that Honda has not officially addressed yet and I read about that here before I made my purchase.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts

I kinda come from the same school of thought. I also ride with CAA (~AAA) bike coverage.

Since I don't ride a [new] 2020 model, nor an ATAS, I suspect the primary remaining concern is the DCT. That said, if it was an issue, then I would have not invested in Honda's implementation. Honda's DCT implementation was already around 10 years and with an excellent track record. The statistics are very compelling. If it was a wrong decision, then lesson learned. Nevertheless, the expectation is that there will not be anything unexpected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts