Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AT on hold until Tuesday and before I make the switch from my BMW F800gs I was wondering if any of you who now wish they had not bought and AF and why.

There are some things I like better on my BMW but the AF seems more nimble and easier to ride slow and I do some dirt.

The biggest thing that scares me a tad is the buffeting I get on the highway and I had to deal with that on a V-Strom and it was terrible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an F650GS twin and drive now a manual AT since last july. I sold the bmw because of the poor braking, short suspensions, too tough and narrow saddle, outrageous service costs. The first two issues should not affect the F800GS. The AT has better braking, saddle is larger yet not better. The BMW was much for changing oil, battery, air filter. On teh BMW I had a Wunderlich vario-touring screen which was perfect and way better than the Honda high sceeen, which is too far, too tall and deforming the sight close to the edges. The AT gearbox is - if possible - even less precise than the BMW, and way inferior to the V-Strom as well as to many other Hondas I had in the past. The AT has more grunt at low revs, but IMHO it feels heavier than the BM.
I think eventually is a very emotional decision and there are no clear elements to say one better than teh other. Ah yes: the best for me is still the old Transalp!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an F650GS twin and drive now a manual AT since last july. I sold the bmw because of the poor braking, short suspensions, too tough and narrow saddle, outrageous service costs. The first two issues should not affect the F800GS. The AT has better braking, saddle is larger yet not better. The BMW was much for changing oil, battery, air filter. On teh BMW I had a Wunderlich vario-touring screen which was perfect and way better than the Honda high sceeen, which is too far, too tall and deforming the sight close to the edges. The AT gearbox is - if possible - even less precise than the BMW, and way inferior to the V-Strom as well as to many other Hondas I had in the past. The AT has more grunt at low revs, but IMHO it feels heavier than the BM.
I think eventually is a very emotional decision and there are no clear elements to say one better than teh other. Ah yes: the best for me is still the old Transalp!
Interesting. Thank you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is always difficult to compare two bikes that have a significant power difference. I currently own both bikes, the F800 GS that I commute on daily and the Africa Twin which I use for pleasure.
First of all you can eliminate your main concern by purchasing a screen adjuster from Batzen screen adjuster and GPS mount. Search the forum for feedback. A brilliant piece of kit and excellent value, no buffeting issues for me.

Riding the GS is like wearing a pair of old slippers, very comfortable and I find handling very good (considering a 21 inch front wheel). I have toured around the country on it and my only criticism is the lack of power at higher speeds. Hence the Africa Twin. In terms of power the AT is in a different class and much more fun to ride in that respect.
Would I prefer my Africa Twin on the daily commute to work, negotiating and filtering through the London traffic? In short, no! For pleasure riding you will not regret the Africa Twin. Yes it is nimble and has good slow control when not surrounded by slow moving or stationary vehicles… If that makes sense.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is always difficult to compare two bikes that have a significant power difference. I currently own both bikes, the F800 GS that I commute on daily and the Africa Twin which I use for pleasure.
First of all you can eliminate your main concern by purchasing a screen adjuster from Batzen screen adjuster and GPS mount. Search the forum for feedback. A brilliant piece of kit and excellent value, no buffeting issues for me.

Riding the GS is like wearing a pair of old slippers, very comfortable and I find handling very good (considering a 21 inch front wheel). I have toured around the country on it and my only criticism is the lack of power at higher speeds. Hence the Africa Twin. In terms of power the AT is in a different class and much more fun to ride in that respect.
Would I prefer my Africa Twin on the daily commute to work, negotiating and filtering through the London traffic? In short, no! For pleasure riding you will not regret the Africa Twin. Yes it is nimble and has good slow control when not surrounded by slow moving or stationary vehicles… If that makes sense.
Thank you. Interesting insight. I found the AT to be only slightly more powerful and the specs back that up 85hp for the 800 and 96hp for the AT. Nothing that I could really notice around town. Neither is fast compared to say a KTM or Ducati Enduro both of which run like scalded cats. Is your 800 a lower HP for license tiers?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not trying to be rude or make shity claims, but such topics asking for the bike's flaws on it's very own forum...
I bet most people are like me extremely pleased with it, so maybe try a more neutral forum i'd say :wink2:.

The only flaws to me are, having to buy the central stand and 12V adapter and maybe sport/rain modes would
have been nice, though not especially needed and that's still few things compared to BMW options.

By the way, the buffeting unless you are extremely tall, comes from the air passing under the fairing, going up
the handlebars, most people don't realise that, only putting the GPS on the bars, removes it !

3 years ago i tried a 800 GS and while I admit the electronic suspension are amazing, at making long rides
more pleasing, honestly i've never understood those BMW, I absolutely hate the front suspensions that gives
no feedback. The price in Switzerland is crazy and honestly both my Yamaha/Kawa/Honda mechanics, tell
me that they only service BMW of friends, because they can have pretty crazy failures... as they say, sure
the BMW warranty is covering, but they don't see such failure rates on Japanese bikes and the guy is 60 !

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you. Interesting insight. I found the AT to be only slightly more powerful and the specs back that up 85hp for the 800 and 96hp for the AT. Nothing that I could really notice around town. Neither is fast compared to say a KTM or Ducati Enduro both of which run like scalded cats. Is your 800 a lower HP for license tiers?
You're welcome. No, not the low powered version... Specifications are only a small part and I suspect you will notice a significant difference when accelerating on clear winding B roads throughout rev range. Much more than 9 hp may imply. (AT is 93.9 HP)

A lightweight cast camshaft—using the same materials as that on the CBR1000RR—operates the valve train, and twin spark plugs fire the fuel/air mixture in each combustion chamber.

Strong and linear power and torque deliver instant response anywhere in the rev-range—accompanied by a satisfying, characterful deep growl as rpm rises. A 270° phased crankshaft gives the power delivery a distinct character as well, delivering excellent feel for rear-wheel traction. Biaxial primary balance shafts cancel vibration.

Not trying to be rude or make shity claims, but the Batzen screen adjuster
removed any buffering on the Schubert E3 peak... Found it was required as my GPS didn't eliminate it, maybe I was unlucky:smile2:

I have previously owned motorcycles which include the Hayabusa, R1 and the bike I traded in for the AT was a two-year-old Aprilia Tuono. Although pace is not my main concern, as an advanced rider didn't notice any of the sports bikes trying to pass my AT in the Picos mountains>:) On the GS I would not have kept up with myself on the AT and would not have had power in reserve either.

I certainly have no regrets purchasing my Africa Twin.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Same here, I just left a Yamaha R6 almost still, going uphill a twisty Saturday. Before I had a Yamaha MT-09 and honestly wasn't able to be as fast and corner so easily, it's insane how this bike is so polivalent !

Reactions: Snowbubble

·
Registered
225 Posts
I respect BMW and KTM on their strengths, but to me the AT is just sexy and gives me not just the envy to ride,
but when I'm on the saddle I just don't want to get off ! BMWs and KTMs while great bikes never gave me such
feelings, heck even after 8 years on Yamahas, they didn't either !

It's just fun and works !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're welcome. No, not the low powered version... Specifications are only a small part and I suspect you will notice a significant difference when accelerating on clear winding B roads throughout rev range. Much more than 9 hp may imply. (AT is 93.9 HP)

A lightweight cast camshaft—using the same materials as that on the CBR1000RR—operates the valve train, and twin spark plugs fire the fuel/air mixture in each combustion chamber.

Strong and linear power and torque deliver instant response anywhere in the rev-range—accompanied by a satisfying, characterful deep growl as rpm rises. A 270° phased crankshaft gives the power delivery a distinct character as well, delivering excellent feel for rear-wheel traction. Biaxial primary balance shafts cancel vibration.

Not trying to be rude or make shity claims, but the Batzen screen adjuster
removed any buffering on the Schubert E3 peak... Found it was required as my GPS didn't eliminate it, maybe I was unlucky:smile2:

I have previously owned motorcycles which include the Hayabusa, R1 and the bike I traded in for the AT was a two-year-old Aprilia Tuono. Although pace is not my main concern, as an advanced rider didn't notice any of the sports bikes trying to pass my AT in the Picos mountains>:) On the GS I would not have kept up with myself on the AT and would not have had power in reserve either.

I certainly have no regrets purchasing my Africa Twin.
Thanks again - fully appreciated. Fair enough, I noticed the power down low which was about perfect for getting enough weight off the front for log crossings etc and playing around otherwise :smile2:

I am going to try a short screen first. I really like having the lower screen height and lack of frontal visual mass on the F800gs and I have never been a super fan of looking through screens. The BMW 1200GS tall screen is a the exception as it just works so well. Anyway, I am getting the Touratech short screen and I will also get the little wind blocker to add to the top. Hopefully I will find clean air this way.

I should have the bike by the weekend with all the goodies on order.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not trying to be rude or make shity claims, but such topics asking for the bike's flaws on it's very own forum...
I bet most people are like me extremely pleased with it, so maybe try a more neutral forum i'd say :wink2:.

The only flaws to me are, having to buy the central stand and 12V adapter and maybe sport/rain modes would
have been nice, though not especially needed and that's still few things compared to BMW options.

By the way, the buffeting unless you are extremely tall, comes from the air passing under the fairing, going up
the handlebars, most people don't realise that, only putting the GPS on the bars, removes it !

3 years ago i tried a 800 GS and while I admit the electronic suspension are amazing, at making long rides
more pleasing, honestly i've never understood those BMW, I absolutely hate the front suspensions that gives
no feedback. The price in Switzerland is crazy and honestly both my Yamaha/Kawa/Honda mechanics, tell
me that they only service BMW of friends, because they can have pretty crazy failures... as they say, sure
the BMW warranty is covering, but they don't see such failure rates on Japanese bikes and the guy is 60 !
No I was not trying to be rude and just pop over to the heated grips thread if you want to see actual HONDA HATE >:)

I only asked because I actually have enjoyed my BMW F800GS thoroughly. It is a hard decision for me to make the change and tone honest I have for the most part never really gotten excited over most Japanese offerings.

But times change and I now drive a little Honda car for the first time and I really like and appreciate the features and value. Anyone can change!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've never found buffeting to be an issue, even with the standard screen. The airflow is much 'cleaner' than on the 650 V Strom that my AT replaced. It's a great bike and you'll appreciate the extra torque compared to the F800GS. No regrets!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have 2000 miles on the manual AT I bought last month: I am quite pleased, but nothing is perfect. The MSRP on the bike is great, but in keeping it low, the rider is forced to spend another 2G on (almost necessities) things that come standard on other bikes like crashbars, centerstand, 12v outlet, heated grips, etc. Still a bargain though. Incidentally, I had a problem with severe buffeting, solved by an MRA Vario touring screen. https://www.mrashop.de/com/selectio...ca-twin-variotouringscreen-vt-2016?c=90005945

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have 2000 miles on the manual AT I bought last month: I am quite pleased, but nothing is perfect. The MSRP on the bike is great, but in keeping it low, the rider is forced to spend another 2G on (almost necessities) things that come standard on other bikes like crashbars, centerstand, 12v outlet, heated grips, etc. Still a bargain though. Incidentally, I had a problem with severe buffeting, solved by an MRA Vario touring screen. https://www.mrashop.de/com/selectio...ca-twin-variotouringscreen-vt-2016?c=90005945

But if compared to the options list on BMW GS, all isn't included either !
From what I see no LED lights or LED turn lights, bigger windshields also need to be purchased,
handgards and heating grips are also optional. Most ridiculous to me is the traction control isn't
standard on the bike...

I looked in switzerland a 800 GS to rival my AT costs 13'670CHF and if I'm not mistaken that
still doesn't include the panniers, I paid my AT 14.900CHF with everything the same except
the heating grips, so to me the BMW is great but too expensive for a 800 !

I only added SW motech crash bars, but I don't see protections on the BMW either.

Reactions: cehanska
1 - 17 of 17 Posts