Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
how would you rate the overall reliability and quality of the 2016 Africa Twin compared to the 2020 AT?
Is the 2016 more reliable than the new one? I heard the new one gets a lot hotter than the older one? Does that change anything in regards to the reliability?

I'm thinking of buying an AT but I'm unsure if I should buy the new or old model. The money is not so much of an issue, but in general I always think older is more quality (with everything). I'm unsure if the new model is still the same quality and reliability than the 2016 model?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Dom

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,929 Posts
Old ones had problems for some, fork stiction, water pump leaking and corroded spokes are the few that spring to mind.
2020 onwards, a couple of reports of scored bores but very uncommon it seems, TFT problems, I had that on my 2022 where the touch panel stopped working but it was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dom there are 3 variants, 16/17, 18/19, 20 to current. DCT on any model is great, but it is still being refined even on the 21 to 22.
Fork and spoke issues were addressed for the 18/19's. If your a big guy (193) then maybe a 18/19 ATAS. (+ tubeless wheels AS only)
The 20+ 1100's have extra power and the electronics package. The 2020 AS had fuel tank issues which honda issued a recall.
I agree the older is more quality but we are talking (used) motorcycles here so it may not always be the case.
Ive a got a 19 standard and love it. Theres a serious price hike for the 2020+.
Search the threads, theres a ton of info here.
Good luck, you're in the right place.

Edit, On the heat thing, ive heard similar but never read about issues with overheating.

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
So far no problems, including those mentioned, on my 2019 Matt black standard with DCT. At the same time, I do not do off road like some folks do here at the Forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the same reasons as you i opted for a 2017, which i was lucky enough to find a low mileage model way out in the yucca valley here in California. The story from the previous owner was he bought it new in 2019, rode it for less than 1000 miles, had a small whoopsie with his wife on the back on a dirt road and dumped it at low speed. The plastics were perfectly fine except for a small scratch on the fender, and a small crack on the left inner console fairing where the fog light switch goes. I bought it for a steal of a price, he also did the 1000 mile/ 1st year oil change, and the tires were basically new, completely stock and unmolested. I bought it cash, and have since farkled the **** out of it, as well as ride the **** out of it, haha. Now have 4k on the clock and Ive only owned it since last December. I know that isnt a lot of miles too, but i had a pretty serious accident in feb and spent a couple months in the hospital and then in recovery in a wheel chair for a few months. Got back to riding in august and have tried to ride it as much as possible.
Great bike, so far my favorite I’ve owned. I love the simplicity of the switches for ABS and traction control. I dont need to scroll thru menus or wait for the bike to fire up to do anything. I corrected the fork issue by completely replacing it with a ohlins, then did the same for the rear shock and Added a Scott’s dampener to fix the speed wobble i would get on the freeway when going over concrete.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a 17 leftover in 19 for about 11K. Currently have about 19k miles on it and have had zero issue with forks, spokes, or anything else. Also, I dropped mine in river, 75% submerged and hydrolocked the motor. Brought it home, drained everything, replaced air filters and plugs, changed the oil about 5 times and runs like a champ. I'm not sure the newer models with all the electronics would have fared so well.?

·
July 2022 ROTM Winner
663 Posts
I have a 17, spokes have corroded and so has small parts of the frame in the wells (I ride all year round in a wet part of a wet country). I ride it every day and for all sorts of road riding, short / medium / touring distances and it has been fantastic. So good in fact I keep looking at new ones and thinking nah, I’ll keep this for a while.

most recently the rear shock has seized so rather than replace with OEM, which might go again (none servicable) I have upgraded to a Nitron unit.

Things you are likely to have to find a remedy for;

1. Wind buffeting - most people have made adjustments for this, I won’t go in to those right now.
2. Some sort of throttle lock, pre ride-by-wire AT’s don’t have cruise control.
3. Suspension is under sprung for most people
4. Depending on your use, the handguards are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
5. Try and get one with a Aux socket fitted in the dash, very useful for charging phones etc.

Lupo

·
Registered
347 Posts
Follow up on above post:
1. Wind buffeting - most people have made adjustments for this, I won’t go in to those right now. (Not an issue for me)
2. Some sort of throttle lock, pre ride-by-wire AT’s don’t have cruise control. (Agree totally)
3. Suspension is under sprung for most people ( works ok for me but could be improved)
4. Depending on your use, the handguards are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. ( True)
5. Try and get one with a Aux socket fitted in the dash, very useful for charging phones etc. ( Installed my own)

·
Registered
2018 AT Manual Clutch
85 Posts
Had a 2016, destroyed by a deer. Now on a 2018, 15,456 trouble free miles. Mine is standard transmission. dropped the front forks 12 mm, Soopy's lowering link in the back, heavier rear spring. Again, I have experienced zero mechanical or cosmetic defects on either bike. 2018 vs 2016, bigger foot pegs and stronger peg mount on the supposed weak side on the 2016. Enjoy the search.

·
Registered
2023 Africa Twin 1100 manual (on backorder)
147 Posts
Just as a calming sidenote, the electronics on the 1100 are split up in a critical and noncritical set. The display can completely crash and refuse to work without any implications for the bike itself. The same applies for most sensors. You can pull almost all the fuses and the bike will still run.

The only concern is the CDI/EFI and throttle by wire, but EFI is also on the older models.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dom123 and Hood

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi can't see how you could go wrong with a looked after 2016/17....I own a 2016 into my 7yr of ownership now. 35k klms to date. 95% tarmack...use 12mths of year to from work long wk ends away 500klms in a day no probs....weight is an issue when having to man handle gut busting..but not when Yr two up with luggage doing big miles on motorway....only issue to date was starter kill switch....sorted with electric contact cleaner and a spray of silicone lub once a Yr.....also small bit of rust on frame but infairness our winters in ireland are wet plus salt on roads...I always coat bike with corrosion inhibitor after wash....still looks brilliant...best bike I've had to date had a few...power in rt places not mega but enough...will hustle along nicely...the 2016 is more simple than later models to me that is a positive....what would I only change weight ie. reduction....safe travels..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts