Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2019 CRF1000
260 Posts
Dom there are 3 variants,
Ive a got a 19 standard and love it.
I have a 19 std as well, and love it as well. I used to say “I’ll keep it until I’m no longer able to pick it up”, but that time arrived, and I’m not yet ready to let it go. For now, thinking of just avoiding the sketchiest parts, when I’m alone. Also. I’m working out a lot, and hoping for a miracle.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

· Registered
516 Posts
I have a 19 std as well, and love it as well. I used to say “I’ll keep it until I’m no longer able to pick it up”, but that time arrived, and I’m not yet ready to let it go. For now, thinking of just avoiding the sketchiest parts, when I’m alone. Also. I’m working out a lot, and hoping for a miracle.
Go hard on the work outs mate! And nice pic.
One minor thing I have noticed. The heat shield on the muffler is a different shape!
DT's bike is the same as yours. My build date is Nov 2018. Probably to do with regulations or something, no biggie!
(painted mine)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle brake
(y)

· Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 77200
I just bought a 2016 dct with 26000km and fresh service done for 13500 Aud. I took it for a 300km ride on asphalt and I love the dct. Makes it so relaxed to ride. Really happy with the buy.
Though the seat could be more comfortable.
I had the same complaint with my stock seat, and recently bought a Touratech comfort seat in low Position which also helped me with my shorter inseam/ stand over height. Now i can comfortably touch the ground with both sets of toes and the seat is way more comfy on rides longer than an hour.

· Registered
147 Posts
The reason I purchased a '21 was because it had undergone a redesign in '20 that improved the onroad handling and safety. Given that, honestly, I would put more road miles and hours on it that off-road and that I would appreciate the benefits of improved suspension and traction contronl and a bigger engine, without extra weight, convinced me that spending more money was worth it, for enjoyment, comfort and safety reasons, on the current design generation.

Regarding reliability of the '20 to '23 design generation compared to the previous model years, I would expect that the electronic features (like the separate TFT display, mainly) would make the bike more susceptible to failure and down-the-road unexpected costs. I've already read about some rider's problems with the TFT, so I think it would be prudent to purchase an extended warranty, which normally does not save you money in the long run and is not normally a good deal for the consumer. At least with a Honda.

But in this case, with the added electronic complexities like the TFF and, potentially, for owners of electronically adjustable suspension on the AS versions, you might save money, depending on the terms of such a warranty extension. For approximately $19 a month, I can have peace of mind for the next 6 years. The thing about bikes is when new technology comes out, there is usually a shakedown period where mistakes are made and defects experienced, but eventually remedied. For Honda, those defects are less frequent, but are remedied faster than their European competition, like KTM and BMW.

But, obviously, even Honda makes blunders. Fork coatings, fuel tanks (coatings again, I believe on the AS models), spoke corrosion are areas of problems on some models from the '16 onward. Speaking to the issue of reliability, I would look at it as a tradeoff between overall reliability (which I expect has gotten better, not worse) and design benefits, that have come as the AT has continued to develop. If you don't need to push the bike as hard on or off the road, I would consider an '18 or '19 model. If you want the latest features (like cruise control- HOORAY!!!- improved heated grips and improved suspension) and/or want to push the limits of speed and performance, then I would opt for a '20 onward. A '21 would be more reliable and '22 even more so. And even better with the '23. By '24 we'll have a major redesign and the potential for new design/manufacturing defects.

That's my 10 cents. Love to hear how others see it. We have some great owner resources here on this forum.

· Registered
2019 CRF1000
260 Posts
Things you are likely to have to find a remedy for:

1. Wind buffeting - most people have made adjustments for this, I won’t go in to those right now.
2. Some sort of throttle lock, pre ride-by-wire AT’s don’t have cruise control.
3. Suspension is under sprung for most people
4. Depending on your use, the handguards are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
5. Try and get one with a Aux socket fitted in the dash, very useful for charging phones etc.
What I did…

1. Wind buffeting - most people have made adjustments for this, I won’t go in to those right now.
- taller windscreen, use low seat position (this option works well for me at 5’10/12”
2. Some sort of throttle lock, pre ride-by-wire AT’s don’t have cruise control.
- KAOKO is a great throttle “stabilizer”, and is cheap.
3. Suspension is under sprung for most people
- almost 3 yrs, still using stock factory settings my weight has dropped in that time from 185# to 154#.
4. Depending on your use, the handguards are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
- LOL, so true, a joke. 1st things I did to my 2019 was Barkbusters and Outback Motortek Low crash bars
5. Try and get one with a Aux socket fitted in the dash, very useful for charging phones etc.
- I had the Dealer install one along with customary service to the bike before it left the shop with 1 mile on the counter.
[/QUOTE]

· Registered
2019 CRF1000
260 Posts
Go hard on the work outs mate! And nice pic.
One minor thing I have noticed. The heat shield on the muffler is a different shape!
DT's bike is the same as yours. My build date is Nov 2018. Probably to do with regulations or something, no biggie!
(painted mine)
View attachment 77175 (y)
I dropped my bike over the onto the trailer rail, loading it up on the day I bought it, denting the chrome cover. I’ve always wanted to have the dent knocked out and getting it powder coated the color of the gray on the engine.

· Registered
90 Posts
The issues with older models are not deal-breakers, and can be factored into the purchase price.

The issues with newer models (ie: TFT screens) are not widespread enough to lose sleep over.

I would give my brain a rest on this one, and roll the dice based on my heart and/or wallet.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts