Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Removing Both Wheels and Balancing the AT ???

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bobbyinredwood 
#1 ·
Was wondering how people "secured" their AT when removing both wheels? I'm doing this as the local shop only charges 20 bucks a wheel to mount and balanced tires off the bike. The shop where I bought the bike wants 80 bucks a wheel with the wheels on the bike and like 50 bucks a wheel off the bike.

I've got the centerstand and am using a floor jack with a 2x4 under the skidplate. On the rear, I've got a ladder straddling the bike and a tie-down holding the rear-end up. I have it a bit front-end biased...

I've done this multiple times with my Super Tenere and my XCx for changing both tires at the same time. Just wonder what other people do?

#3 ·
Any suggestions on which one(s)? Some don't look very sturdy or stable like if its picking up the bike by the lower frame rails lifting both wheels off the ground. Seems like it could very easily fall to the side...

#4 ·
Mine is so old I have no idea who made it. There may be some cheap ones out there but most should support the weight of the bike with no problem. It is also recommended that you strap down the bike to the lift to stabilize it. I would check local auto parts stores, or order one from a motorcycle supply store.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tips!

I watched some of those video on how to use those floor jack type units to lift the motorcycles by the frame rails. I was amazed that no one in the videos used any tie-downs/straps. I would think they would be "wobbly" on those things, like they could tip over... I guess not or they wouldn't sell them. I'd like to see someone lift their AT with one with some confidence before I go that route.

Today I picked up a couple things; a #12 pin for my Pitbull Front stand. I already had Pitbull Front stand but the pin that I had on it was for me my Ducati. Then I picked up a Pitbull Rearstand or as some call it a "Paddock stand". I don't fully trust rearstand that don't use spools. I've seen guys working on their bikes and didn't see the bikes moving on the stand. So I still plan to do something similar like the "rafters" as Davy F mentions. I just don't know how strong my "rafters" are so I'm going to still use my heavy duty commercial ladder over the rear of the bike to help balance in on the center stand...

Or like I keep threatening to do, just start taking it to the shop and pay them the little extra while I just sit and enjoy my coffee and read on my Ipad...

BTW, darn Karoo 3 are bigger in circumference than the stock tires. Where on the stock tires I was almost flat-footed, I'm now more on the balls of my feet.. UGH!!!!

#7 ·
Pitbull front stand and the centre stand. You're set. It's solid and you can easily remove both wheels. No need to tie things up.

You could also use a centre stand and a jack under the oil pan (with a chunk of 1/4 or 2x4) or under your bash plate if you have one. I've done that on other bikes.

Reactions: AdvArt
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.