Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to remove the fairings respectively the front tank cover?

I followed the tutorial for the heated grips installation from Honda Powerparts. I'm basically stuck at step 6 because the front tank cover is connected to the fairing as you can see in the picture. However, I could not find a straight-forward way how to separate them. Can you just slightly bend the fairing away front the bike, do you have to push/lift/press somewhere so that the fairing and the front cover disengage...? Any tips/links are appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I just removed that bit on my CRF1000 and once I got all the retainers out it came off OK. I notice on that diagram they are showing only two bolts and yet there are 4 bolts holding it down from the top and 4 plastic poppers holding it in place from the inside vertical bit. IIRC once all the bolts and poppers were out, I had to ease the part away from the fairing with a screwdriver, but it didn't take much force
Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes I've found it easier to unscrew the tank cover but leave it in place then disengage the fairing panel from it by bending it upwards.(1100L)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Would love to see someone post up photos of the new fairings removed. Seen some ATAS
I need to see some standard models and how the pieces fit.
Yes, I've already looked at part fiche and the 2020 service manual, but a couple of photos would be nice...
Anyone?

Reactions: crfan1

·
Registered
360 Posts
If its your first time removing fairing panels you will be afraid that you are going to break tabs, and rightly so.
Thats because once you have fasteners removed the panel will offer no clues on how it comes off.
The front side panels are each retained with 14 tabs and 4 rubber pegs/grommets.
The panel needs a sustantial pull to relese the grommets / pegs starting at the rear, working forwards, ending at the headlight.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If its your first time removing fairing panels you will be afraid that you are going to break tabs, and rightly so.
Thats because once you have fasteners removed the panel will offer no clues on how it comes off.
The front side panels are each retained with 14 tabs and 4 rubber pegs/grommets.
The panel needs a sustantial pull to relese the grommets / pegs starting at the rear, working forwards, ending at the headlight.
I should say the above is for a 2018 ATAS

·
Registered
508 Posts
They changed most of that which we are familiar with.
I am trying to see if I can fit 2020 plastic of the standard AT to an older body.
Emperor's new clothes, so to speak :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
A lot of design changes to the plastic bits for MY2020. See below to get a clue from someone who has none :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts