Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you replace the plastics on the Adventure Sports bike, with the Base Model plastics?
I really, really don't like the look of the Adventure Sports trim, but I do like the list of upgrades. Hoping to get the Matte Black package instead. Is this possible?

·
Registered
376 Posts
For start, if at all possible, you shall need to change also the tank....overall you are looking at a VERY expensive modification.

The 2018 standard AS has the same electronics as the ATAS. Why don't you choose that in the first place?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For start, if at all possible, you shall need to change also the tank....overall you are looking at a VERY expensive modification.

The 2018 standard AS has the same electronics as the ATAS. Why don't you choose that in the first place?
The upgraded tank, footpegs, increased travel and larger windscreen are what stands out to me. I would end up adding those to a base-model anyways. Assuming you can get the upgraded tank. If it's a hassle to replace, might as well just get a rotopax. I think you answered my question though, just wondering how tough it would be to replace the plastics. Souds like a pain.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The upgraded tank, footpegs, increased travel and larger windscreen are what stands out to me. I would end up adding those to a base-model anyways. Assuming you can get the upgraded tank. If it's a hassle to replace, might as well just get a rotopax. I think you answered my question though, just wondering how tough it would be to replace the plastics. Souds like a pain.

Maybe I misuderstood as well; when you refer to "trim" you mean the shape or the color scheme? Because since you do appreciate the tank, it must be the color that you dislike, since the rest of the fairings shape is actually dictated by the tank.

If this is the case, then it will cost you much much less to paint the bike, and actually it is your only alternative since the standard AT fairings, definitely do not match the ATAS tank. You must consider the frame color, which is white, and narrows your paintjob choices.

If my initial understanding was correct and you dislike the bulkiness (this is what made me bike this bike, btw), then you may consider buying the standard AT and any scheme you like and upgrade the suspension with Hyperpro springs. I think they offer them in various lenghts, including a combo that makes the bike taller by 20mm or so. The windscreen on the other hand, is compatible with both models anyway and there are aftermarket offers as well for bigger screens (I have replaced mine with the Puig Touring one).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you replace the plastics on the Adventure Sports bike, with the Base Model plastics?
I really, really don't like the look of the Adventure Sports trim, but I do like the list of upgrades. Hoping to get the Matte Black package instead. Is this possible?
Sorry, but I'm lost. How could you not like the colour scheme? She is gorgeous. She'll grab your attention and only in the best possible way. You can't help but turn-around every time as you walk away and take one last look, soak it in and admire. Matt Black plastics? What a waste. If you want dull, go buy a BMW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just getting all the parts spraypainted will be a LOT cheaper for sure.
You can make your own striping or get a costom stickerset in any color you want from guys like decalmoto.
For $100 US I bought a set of decals for the black color scheme...my bike is silver but after a bit of paint...........

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry, but I'm lost. How could you not like the colour scheme? She is gorgeous. She'll grab your attention and only in the best possible way. You can't help but turn-around every time as you walk away and take one last look, soak it in and admire. Matt Black plastics? What a waste. If you want dull, go buy a BMW.
I think the way this works is you paint your bike the way you like and others do what they like. Sorta a freedom kinda thing :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can understand @Bender.
I test rode the AT AS and the AT standard and my preference was the AS without DST. But I could not stand riding a bike that looked like it was decorated for a circus act.

When the shop offered me a deal on a black 2017 standart AT I jumped at it.
It was a huge price differential to the AT AS.

I modified the bike up myself and kept it black. The most expensive mod was the original heated grips. Love them but they cost me over USD300.-

Even ripped off the AT vinyl stickers decals and am considering covering the Honda decal on the tank and covering the exhaust heat shield in black vinyl.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HWZWMvJvDy1jzAPa8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts