Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one who has had the wheels replaced due to spoke corrosion had any issues ??

my wheels were replaced last October I rode the bike home in the dry and rode it once more in the dry in winter washed it and dried it with my bike drier. its been garaged all winter ,got it out for a ride yesterday and the spokes are as bad as the wheels that have been replaced and I've only ridden it twice ??. Honda told me they were stainless spokes mmmmmm

not happy as my warranty has expired but the wheels are only 5 months old ??

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Has any one who has had the wheels replaced due to spoke corrosion had any issues ??

my wheels were replaced last October I rode the bike home in the dry and rode it once more in the dry in winter washed it and dried it with my bike drier. its been garaged all winter ,got it out for a ride yesterday and the spokes are as bad as the wheels that have been replaced and I've only ridden it twice ??. Honda told me they were stainless spokes mmmmmm

not happy as my warranty has expired but the wheels are only 5 months old ??
The stainless spokes are not out until about now (with the launch of the new 2018 bikes) Any replacements up to now have supposedly had the double plated plain steel spokes. I think that's hogwash. My replacements lasted about two rides before corrosion appeared. Honda rep on the stand said don't get them replaced again until they have gone all stainless. I think you will be able to argue a case even though its outside warranty
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine are being replaced next Friday, i just hope they are stainless. Regarding corrosion while parked up in the garage, mine went the same way. I always keep it clean and make sure its dry before i put it way. I even coated the spokes with ACF50. I think it's due to condensation, if it's going to be parked up for a while it might be worth covering up the wheels in future.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The stainless spokes are not out until about now (with the launch of the new 2018 bikes)
I'm really disappointed in Honda customercare.

They should have by now sent out a notice to extend warranty claims for the wheels. Toyota extended warranty from 7 to 12 yrs for my 2008 Tundra for any rust on frame. Honda should have followed suit.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It’s their choice really. They must weigh up the money they will lose by potential buyers seeing our corroded spokes and being put off against the cost of replacing what are pretty expensive items (they have been supplying complete replacement wheels rather than trying to respoke them). I think their best compromise would be to replace the wheels of anyone who asks with no quibble for 2 years beyond the date that they stopped fitting plain steel ie the earliest bikes would in effect get a 4 year warranty on them
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
My second, double dipped, set (replaced in November on a 2017 bike) started to corrode again within weeks. However, Honda UK are going to replace with stainless spokes when stock has built up. I have heard that replacement outside warranty *may* be offered, so nothing ventured ....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have a part number for the stainless spokes?
I am in Australia and bought my bike second hand, it only has 2000k’son the clock and I have already pointed out the spoke corrosion to my local Honda dealer who did the roadworthy certificate for me.
He said once the warranty for the bike was transferred into my name, we can get the spoke issue fixed.
I just want to make sure I get the stainless ones, not the coated steel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are Not Stainless .

My 3rd set of wheels will be replaced in June 2018 when the stainless wheels are available as I've stated I am prepared to wait.

100% fact as Honda customer relations and my dealer have confirmed this

to be fair to Honda my wheels are out of warranty by then and they are to change them

I'm happy with this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts