Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All;
Just cannot figure out why everyone is so eager to spend their hard-earned money on all of these expensive hard cases. For less than $100 (Canadian), I have a soft tail bag, and two soft panniers, these hold most everything that I choose to carry,
I like the hard cases for many reasons, but mostly because security is better, and I detach them and use them around my campsites (table and a chair :p). I even prefer them over softbags when things get wet and muddy. Nothing wrong with softbags, and they definitely have their use.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
New GIVI Soft Bags - GRT709

For those that already have GIVI racks these look interesting.

Very similar mounting system to the Mosko Moto Backcountry panniers. Looks like it will mount with other brands, too.

Really clever features and GIVI makes quality products. Not sure how heavy-duty these are (compared with Kriega, Mosko, and others) but it's certainly another option for panniers.

No pricing but they show a spring 2018 release date.

https://www.givi.it/soft-bags/Saddle-Bags/GRT709 UNIFIT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi PathRider,, I would prefer to buy the genuine Honda panniers for my africa twin but cant bear to pay the $1200 my local Honda dealer wants for them. Can you send me the website in Germany where you bought yours? The Honda panniers may not be the strongest, as opinions say , but for my riding they will suit fine , thanks. Martin

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Honda cases are silly expensive for lightweight plastic boxes. I rarely use my side cases, and one static drop wrote the right one off. The top box has hardly been off in two years and works well but does feel flimsy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find the metal Givi top box is OK for trips to Europe although it does bounce a lot on unpaved roads so I limit the contents to the computer, tool roll and a few bits I need easy access to. The clothing goes in a Kriega US 30 strapped to the pillion seat. I am to old and damaged to camp and find the Kriega easily holds enough for a week and you can always wash stuff in hotels, in the shower works for me as most of my stuff is quick drying. It is possible to stuff enough for 2 weeks in there with a bit of effort. Best thing is at the destination if I am staying a few days then the top box comes off and the tools can just go in a US 10 strapped to the back for daily fun on the unpaved roads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone fitted any Givi Trekker luggage racks to the 2018 AT or Sport with the new passenger peg bolt locations. They are different than the 2016-17 although none of the vendors I've seen differentiate 2016-18?

·
Registered
35 Posts
a quick note on 'plastic panniers': I used to have a set on my KTM 640 adventure and one day as am boarding a ferry one bag just falls off! Apparently the plastic locking mount had broken and looked like a clod of mud had hit the bag earlier. **** lucky i didn't loose it along the route as i was riding alone and may have never known the thing dropped off.
So now I use soft luggage (Nelson Rigg) on SW Motech racks on my KTM and Touratech's on the Husky Strada. And for my AT, I have SW-MOTECH racks on order.

What I need is info on top racks

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've just come ba ck from a 10 day 2500 mile trip to Spain using the 3 Honda boxes. They worked perfectly, didn't leak but one thing I'd not recommend are the 2 pannier bags that Honda sell. They are pretty useless. The top box bag is fine and will fit in the larger side case so I'd recommend 2 top box bags and perhaps using the smaller side case for shoes/odds and sods etc. I paid 'only' £500 for the 3 Honda plastic boxes and they are OK for the money. Not top quality but do what they should do. IMO

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Just returned from a 5,500 kilometre trip of BC and Alaska with the Lone Rider Motobags. I'm really impressed. Plenty of places to lash things to the outside of the bags using the molle system. Waterproof inner bags worked perfectly in rain, muck and dust. They are collapsible when not in use. They also have a built-in steel bracket and locking system for securing your belongings and gear. The build quality is excellent and the customer service that I've received has been top-rate. I used the 45 litre (left) / 38 litre (right) combination, which allows for bringing a significant amount of gear especially for this trip where I needed my camping supplies.

Full disclosure - I was able to get these bags as a tester and provide feedback with the option to keep them at 50% off retail price. After using them, I'll certainly be keeping them.

Attachments

261 - 270 of 270 Posts