Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve been riding a Honda CTX 700, which I bought new in 2015 when I got my license. Always loved the Africa Twin, but always considered it just too tall. However, I was recently convinced to take a DCT Africa Twin for a spin as a potential solution for my troublesome hands and had a blast with it. I’ve been using this forum for information on the bike and various mods for the last week or so. In general, if anyone has time to provide some input on the following questions, it would be much appreciated.

- I’m looking at a 2016 model with approx.. 30,000 kms (18,460 miles). Has anyone encountered any major mechanical or technology issues after 30,000 kms? I’ve put 57,000 kms on my CTX and with regular maintenance, it has been bullet-proof mechanically. I’m hoping for the same from the AT, but don’t have experience with any potential failings of the DCT.

- I would want to lower the bike so I could comfortably flat-foot it. The dealer informs me that the stiletto seat option will bring it down approx. 38 mm (1.5”), and another 38-50 mm with lowering links. I’m aware of the various lowering link kits, but am interested to know how much have people lowered the bike with lowering kits without impacting handling? Has anyone lowered it as much as 50mm without handling issues? (I am a road-tripper and don’t ride 2-up, as a rule).

- I read in some posts that there can be issues with paint quality and rust on the 2016 model. This bike I’m looking at has no evidence of that. Having said that, are there prevention options for that?

- Any other insights or experiences (good or bad), would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Alyson

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome, Alyson.

As you may have read, and tested yourself, AT is a great piece of a bike.
DCT has a pretty long history in Honda and, from a mechanical point of view, I would consider it pretty reliable. Just make sure it receives the correct maintenance (eg. filter/oil).
I can't be of any help regarding lowering kit (I'm 182!).
About paint and rust, most of the cases affect the Adventure Sports model which, for sure, has some more quality issues comparing to the standard. The latter, on the first iteration (2016-2017), had rust problems on the spokes (not inox!). Also the other 2016 problem I recall is the starter button which was sensitive to water: Honda dealers replaced a lot of them (in warranty when present).
Also there has been a security recall on the central stand for all standard model, regardless of the year.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
Hi and welcome
I agree with Deltabi, basically, the newer the model, the less chances of old model issues. Honda’s been pretty good about addressing any shortcomings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recall some of the earlier bikes suffering switchgear issues like sticking or non functioning starter switches or mode/gear change switches here in the UK, I suspect most were fixed in warranty though I did see someone recently posting on a AT FB page regarding there out of warranty bike having starter switch issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I pulled the trigger on the bike last week and am awaiting delivery Nov 24th when the shop has completed some negotiated mods. It's a significant change of bike style, but I'm really looking forward to getting it out and putting it through some paces. Will have to do something about panniers, but have a few months before I really need to, so have some time to decide what will work best. Appreciate all the available information on the forum from those who have gone before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts