Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I blew the 7.A ILLUM STOP fuse whilst in motion and the DCT defaulted to neutral. I took the problem wiring out of circuit replaced the fuse and all came back on except now I have the engine management warning light on. The bike seemed to be running a bit lumpy wonder if the DCT was thrown out by the stop I have tried to start the DCT reset process but thEML stays on and so I cannot get the process started any tips or does the EML require a trip to the dealers ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, Removing and replacing all the fuses but no joy. The bike starts and runs and everything appears to work but its a bit lumpy and the DCT does not feel right. Looks like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought outside the box and decided to call Honda Assistance. The guy arrived in less than10 minutes !!! However unfortunately the AA do not have the connector or software for the Honda diagnostic plug. He changed the fuse back to 7.5A and gave me a couple of spares. Whilst he was there we ran the bike up from cold for 15 minutes without touching the throttle but still no joy. I will have to get it along to the dealers to clear the fault light. Just wish I had an OBD reader and software as I am sure it will just be a simple reset. Of course if Honda or most other manufacturers fitted a horn that was more than a mouse squeak I would not have this problem. Whilst I know fitting any non oem accessories is at my risk I am meticulously careful about what I do and test everything with a meter as I go. I will pop out for a ride in a bit to see if the 15 minute warm up has reset the DCT/sensors. Apparently the bike is safe to ride with the EML on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, Removing and replacing all the fuses but no joy. The bike starts and runs and everything appears to work but its a bit lumpy and the DCT does not feel right. Looks like a trip to the dealer.
Maybe try a longer battery disconnect like 30 mins. I do know that sometimes check engine lights will remain on until the actual fault code has been cleared. So, even if you have fixed the fault it might need a ECM tool to clear it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went out for a ride. It was a bit smoother than yesterday and seemed to improve. I stopped after about 40 minutes and switched off. After about 10 minutes I started up and the EML light is out. Had a nice ride home. The DCT seems fine and I am loath to risk running the DCT reset procedure as one **** up a week is enough and if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took the problem wiring out of circuit

@pjm: I've changed that fuse twice now. Could you expand on the statement you made and, if you know, what the ILLUMI STOP fuse protects?

Also, if anyone else is having this issue, any additional info would be nice. What I've learned so far is that the error codes (on my first blown fuse) report several things withe the [DCT] transmission but nothing "at fault". The dealer reset it in the shop the first time and told me the engine warning light should go off after a couple of power cycles (mine went way after 3 or 4 stops on the second blown fuse).

Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had connected LED lights to my top box. The connector I had used had shorted and blew the fuse. I disconnected the circuit to the lights and that solved the problem. I later used a different type of connector and have had no problems since. I am guessing you have something going to earth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Still not sure what is happening. No accessories yet and, on both occasions, the fuse blew on paved roads cruising steadily at 75 mph (not that it automatically excludes some exposed wire/connection grounding). Motorcycle wire looms are absurdly tightly wound up. I'm concerned that will be a pain in the butt to find or I'm going to have to live with the impending doom of fire from using a 10A fuse (which did not blow after many a mile).

I'm glad yours was easily identifiable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts