Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Before jumping into details, the context is that I bought this bike in the UK before shipping it out to Uganda where I work. It's a 2018 ATAS with 12,000KM on the clock, purchased from new. Before anyone says so, I'd dearly love to take it back the dealer but there isn't one present in Uganda and the nearest one that sells this bike is South Africa or to put another way, 2 weeks ride away!

If anyone has experienced this before or has any ideas on where to start looking, I'd be incredibly grateful! Thanks in advance.

Details:

Currently the bike will not accelerate past 6,200 RPM at times. Over the past two days this has got worse and now it struggles to accelerate past 4,200 rpm or sometimes I even lose the throttle entirely and the bike stalls at speed. Restarting the bike gets me on my way but the problem will persist normally. At first I struggled to understand why at times it would do this and at other times it would not. However, since it’s gotten worse I’ve identified that when I hit a speed bump or some form of bump in the road, it will trigger this issue. Clearly it started being a small problem and not every bump created the problem, but now it seems to happen most of the time and is typically limiting the bike to 4,200 rpm (or stalling) compared to originally being a 6,200 RPM limit occasionally.

Related or perhaps unrelated, the fuel light started flashing for no reason and no range showing (plenty of fuel in the tank). My mechanic said he (in his words) “found water in air map sensor, mass Air Flow Sensor, connectors (plug) and also in fuel Gauge cable Socket (male and female connectors)". Upon sorting that, I’m now left with the fuel light comes on solid and shows less than 30km range (again despite a full tank). This happens randomly and will typically only stay on for a short time and then go away. I can live with it, so long as it isn’t impacting the rev limit issue.

I have given the dealer a shout back in the UK (Lings in Suffolk who have been great so far) and they said they would start with the fuel pump. Could be some damage or water ingress causing the fuel pump not to be pumping the fuel through correctly and causing the fuel sender to give out false readings.

Other searches on forums suggested the throttle position sensor or a dodgy connection somewhere related to the fuel tank.

Any ideas would be welcome. The mechanic I have out here is great and use to dealing with modern bikes but I'd love to point him in the right direction first.

Cheers all

Chris

PS - this isn't traction control related nor ride settings related. I normally ride with the TC on 1 and have played plenty with the setting but with no impact at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like you're looking at the right stuff, one other thing to consider is an issue that a couple of us had with out ATAS' over the summer. I experienced something similar to what you are talking about, where if I gave the bike a decent amount of throttle, it wouldn't accelerate past a certain RPM. Give it a little less throttle and it would manage to continue accelerating. No traction control light or slippery surface, but it would create a similar sensation. For me it only happened on days where it was close to or over 100F/37C.

A couple other people have had similar experiences and posted on it over on ADV, I know of at least two who pulled their tanks apart and found debris clogging the fuel filter/pump. One was having major issues on a trip with a lot of rocky terrain, and eventually couldn't get the bike up the hill they were trying to ride up, so that sounds pretty similar to your experience. Don't quote me, but I think one was white paint overspray inside the tank, and the other was the rustproof lining of the tank itself. If I'm remembering correctly, there may have been someone else who had an issue with water in the system as well, so since your mechanic found water in other parts of the system, that may be your culprit.

Hope you manage to get it sorted, very cool that you're using the bike in such a remote area!

·
Registered
8 Posts
crjbaggy, I’m one of the riders Motorwerx speaks of. While riding the WABDR I experienced the same throttle issues your experiencing. Mine was found to be the rustproof lining clogging the fuel filter. We had been riding in 100+ degree weather prior to the issue beginning. I never had issues with my fuel light during this time or anytime since. Dealer cleaned my filter and all has been right in the world since.

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Motorwerx and Stumpy. Not sure it's its related but it is dry season here and temps here are 30-35C+ so not all that different a scenario. Fuel filter / pump is now firmly on the list to be checked next week. I will let you know how I get on and thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had similar issues with a faulty wiring harness and failure of the regulator/rectifier on another bike. I had to ride (before it stopped completely) with the throttle wide open. The failure of the r/r caused the battery to overcharge and fail, wiring to melt, all the dash lights to flash and act strangely, and ultimately the bike would not start or run. Not sure if there is an electrical expert there but you could check the voltage at the battery, r/r and do a quick check of the wires from the r/r back to the battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well yesterday we discovered what was causing this and very glad to say the bike is back to it's incredible self once more, much to my relief. It turned out to be a very dirty fuel filter. We cleaned this up and gave the tank a clean out too. What the root cause of this remains unclear. I've been filing up with fuel only from Shell garages but that still doesn't guarantee contaminants from filling up (it's not uncommon out here), but could be related to tank debris as others have reports from the manufacturing process or the rust proofing.

I'm going to eventually replace the fuel filter assembly completely and also go ahead a fit a tank filter bag too which should prevent the problem in the long term. This one looks promising. I would urge others who are suffering from a lumpy acceleration or worse still, problems like I eventually had to get their fuel filters check out and replaced. It's made a massive difference.

Some before and after photos here too:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my ATAS DCT, high ambient temperature, half tank, some bumpy highway. And on highway speeds at 5,000+ revs the engine suddenly stalls, until the revs reached 4,300-4,500, again with full throttle it stalls, if I reduced the throttle, the max rev was 4,500, if change gear to 5th, only up to 4,500, then on 6th half throttle at 4,500.
I found out that cutting the power with the red on/off button and connecting it again, the motorcycle re-gain all it´s power, then for some time it is ok and it would do it again.
Today my ATAS DCT is in the HONDA agency being checked, I will let them know about the gas filter, but it seems to me like an electrical or govern engine thing.
Ill let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Curious, are you guys with the clogged fuel filter issue using fuel with ethanol? I am used to seeing "congealed" ethanol as white crusties. Perhaps a high alcohol content fuel is eating away at the fuel tank lining?

E0 for me all the way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts