Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm having an issue with my 2016 AT since last night. I cannot make the engine rev more than 4000 RPM, if I do so, it seems to me like the rev limiter kicks in... It happened when I was riding on the highway at 115KM/h and I had to accelerate quickly to move from 2 cars and when I twisted the gas throttle the bike didn't accelerate and I felt the engine was cutting in and out...
I then decided to exit the highway and take a back road and do some tests. I changed the setting of the torque control and no matter how it is set and regardless which gear is engaged it happens as soon as the engine hits 4000rpm...

My bike is at 8200KM and all maintenance have been done thoroughly and the bike has never been abused or beaten and I have no sign of an issue on the display. No error code or any warning light is ON.

Does any of you have experienced that kind of issue? I know some bikes like my previous BMW F700gs has an electronic setting to reduce the power of the engine when a maintenance was past over due but I don't think the AT has this kind of feature.

I'm writing it just in case it's a know issue otherwise I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the dealer and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No... and as long as the bike is running bellow 4000 rpm it just runs fine, I'll may reset the ECU and see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody,

I'm having an issue with my 2016 AT since last night. I cannot make the engine rev more than 4000 RPM, if I do so, it seems to me like the rev limiter kicks in... It happened when I was riding on the highway at 115KM/h and I had to accelerate quickly to move from 2 cars and when I twisted the gas throttle the bike didn't accelerate and I felt the engine was cutting in and out...
I then decided to exit the highway and take a back road and do some tests. I changed the setting of the torque control and no matter how it is set and regardless which gear is engaged it happens as soon as the engine hits 4000rpm...

My bike is at 8200KM and all maintenance have been done thoroughly and the bike has never been abused or beaten and I have no sign of an issue on the display. No error code or any warning light is ON.

Does any of you have experienced that kind of issue? I know some bikes like my previous BMW F700gs has an electronic setting to reduce the power of the engine when a maintenance was past over due but I don't think the AT has this kind of feature.

I'm writing it just in case it's a know issue otherwise I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the dealer and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.
Hello!

I have the same issue with my Africa Twin CRF 1000D AT. I cannot make the engine rev more than 4000 RPM.

Did you solved the problem? And if so, how did you solve it?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
Having same problem on 2018 ATAS. Stuck in CO and have no idea how to fix. Going to be a torturous slow ride back to Texas.
Where in Colorado are you? If you are anywhere near Gunnison, stop into the Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders rally at the KOA. It won't get you home any faster, but they would probably feed you.

I had a similar issue with a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC. They had to reflash the ECU if I recall.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cool that it was fixed under warranty. If others experience something like this, the times I've had this happen (on a monster 1100 and scrambler 1200 XE) it was related to a sensor. (traction control sensor in one case, gear position sensor in the other). First thing to try is to completely disable the traction control. In many cases it will allow you to ride safely until you get it to the dealer to have it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts