Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

do you think reverse (external) can be useful on the AT? I mean some kind of the small electrical motor with gearbox connected to chain (2 positions - 1 on chain, 2 off chain) what can help you to move the motorbike if you park wrongly down the hill, or helping in any other kind of needs...

·
Registered
170 Posts
A few years ago a friend of mine went through this with his motorcycle. He lost his right leg to bone cancer and never got rid of his Vstrom motorcycle. I helped him rig both brakes to work from the handlebars - but after dropping his bike because he had gotten into places he couldn't get out of - he wanted a reverse gear. Your best option is going to be an electric motor made for a sidecar rig. They bolt on underneath and you swing it into place against the rear wheel (no chains or belts). I don't remember which one he went with - they looked like these. You'll lose the option of a centerstand and some ground clearance.

https://www.haulnride.com/sidecar-reverse-gear-modification-examples

On two wheels I'm gracefull - but I have a hard time walking. I probably won't ever do a reverse gear - I prefer to just plow on through it. Maybe that's why my riding buddies tell everyone "Never follow Robert". :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts