Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Review: 2nd ride on AT

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  davidji 
#1 ·
Took the bike to work today for the first time and I'm starting to get used to the bike's weight. I also noticed the RPM is too low on this bike. Wished Honda raised the RPM higher because the redline approaches too fast in gears 1st-4th. That or I seriously need to slow down. I can't help myself but twist the **** out of the throttle. The bike is so much fun!

I'm also starting to notice little things about the bike that Honda could have definitely improved on.

Cons:
  • The backlight on the gauge cluster needs to be brighter
  • Windscreen design could be better but you guys already knew this
  • The suspension is soft
  • Wished Honda added those little side extenders on the kickstand to help swing the kickstand up/down for us short peeps
  • Rear brake lever sucks! Stopped at an uphill I have to make a real effort on pressing down on the rear brake
  • My stock exhaust backfires from time to time (will place an order for aftermarket exhaust this weekend & power commander)
  • Front brakes aren't all that great (will have to upgrade brake lines, pad, and MC)
  • Again, front tires wobbles on highway @ 75-95mph (starting to think it's not the tires but the front in general--it's too light)
  • My rear end says the seat sucks (will see if I can replace foam with gel insert)
  • Throttle has too much slack (will adjust this weekend)

Pros:

• The bike looks so awesome!
  • The bike is so much fun to ride!
  • The bike is deceivingly fast!
  • The bike attracts all eyes on the road!
  • The bike feels small even for someone as short as me!
  • The bike is perfect for me!

See less See more
#4 ·
I know we are all different and have different requirements...

The "wobbles" - Did you set your preload? I've heard alot of people getting the wobbles (starting with rider only) as they didn't set the preload. Too light a front-end will do this. I agree the suspension is too soft IF you are over 185 lbs with full gear. Loaded with a pillion you definitely aren't going to have enough preload leading to a light front-end and wobbles.

For me, this is the first ADV bike where the windscreen is just fine and doesn't need to be replaced. I get very little buffeting and get the right amount of cooling but also the right amount of wind protection.

If you ride off-road, I think you'll find the rear-brake to be near perfect. In the dirt its much easier to "modulate" and not accidentally lock up. But when you need to lock it up you can, but you know it. On-road I do agree that it doesn't feel "powerful" enough. But since I ride 50/50, I'd rather have the rear brake work the way it does on the dirt over the road...

#6 ·
No, I did not set the preload. Good to know. Thank you!

The backfire like "popping" is a result of the 270 degree crank, which gives the bike both V-twin like power delivery, and a great sound....actually means your motor is running correctly...
Really? On sportbikes it's means your bike is running like crap (not properly tuned). Yes, I understand the AT it's not a sportbike. :grin2: Thank you for letting me know tho. Still plan on upgrading exhaust. Wait for pics soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.