Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to installing my Touratech Bridged (one-piece) 20mm handlebar risers for the AT or ATAS.

The install was easy and straightforward. Before beginning, I marked the handlebar position on the upper clamps to handlebar with a fine-tip marker, so I would have a good starting position after the install.

Both top clamps are removed, and the riser slips in under the handle bar and sits in the grooves atop the bottom clamps.

The rugged aluminum riser appears well manufactured and fits nice and snug and flush into the bottom clamps while the handlebar itself fits perfectly flush into the groove on the top of the riser.

No cables had to be relocated. The riser slipped in and all the cables still have plenty of clearance and slack with the handlebars turned full in either direction.

4 – M8x50 longer screws are included with the kit. (Same hex socket size as OEMs).

After initial install, the bars seemed a bit too far forward when they were in the same position relative to the upper clamp (my marked beginning position). So, I tilted them toward me about 4mm (at that mark). Here I found them a bit too far back. (It’s amazing how little you have to tilt them, front to back, to get a significant change at the grip location—and you get a good visual indication of just how far they moved by checking your mirrors)! So, I moved them to about 2mm toward me from original position (at the clamps), and this feels about right--although I may go back to the starting position once I get used to them a bit. That may be where they work best for me.

Unfortunately, I was unable to install my Hepco & Becker handguards at the same time. The H&B handguards come with the same length screws as the riser, M8x50s. I’ll need screws that are 20mm longer: M8x70s. (I’ve already ordered). And I checked with Mathias, at Hepco & Becker (btw—always quick to respond to any questions on any of their products) that this should work.

The install finishes well with the OEM plastic caps snapping back into place.

I like the look of it. Touratech makes some nice stuff. And they tout this one-piece riser as adding strength to the handlebars, by “[bracing] the handlebar clamps to reduce the twist and flex of the bar mounts.” The fit and finish are first-rate. I even like the little Touratech emblem.

The jury is out on comfort. I’ve only gone about 30 road miles on them so far. But I do find it is a bit easier to control the bike while going very slow or doing slow, handlebar turns. And it’s much more comfortable now while standing—that’s a big difference.

I’ll have to ride more before any real conclusions. I can’t say I was uncomfortable before installing the risers, but I can say that my forearms now line up better, about parallel to the ground and 90 deg. to my upper body (my arms used to be angled down some), and my wrist position is lower and at a more relaxed angle, better.

I'm nearly 6’3’’ tall and I ride with the seat in the high position; it seems like a no-brainer to me that I’d have to move the bars up to accommodate. And to do that without tilting the bars away from me requires a riser. I like to sit comfortably upright while highway riding for the most part. Prior to installing the risers, I’ve found the ATAS to be extremely comfortable on the highway. No back pain; or wrist, shoulder or arm pains. But I haven’t taken any long trips yet, hẹll, nothing longer than 1 hr., one way yet, since buying my ATAS!

I think where these risers will shine will be on long highway trips and on off-road handling.

But so far, so good. I’ll keep you posted after putting some miles on.

Thanks for reading.

Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was going to buy the same, but went with SW Motech risers instead as they are taller @ 28/30 (can’t remember which). The TT one is much neater and I like the way that it is one piece. But again, I wanted the extra height which is nearer the ATAS handlebar location. Having them set higher has been a real plus, especially standing up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Having them set higher has been a real plus, especially standing up.
Yes... and I'm looking forward to setting the bars back to their original alignment prior to the riser install and doing some more test riding. I fear what I felt, that made me tilt them back toward me, wasn't so much that the bars were too far forward but it just felt *different.* But by slipping the bars back toward me some, I'm defeating the purpose of the risers a bit. (Not to mention, changing the geometry of the levers, etc.).

But it's RAINING. Dang it. And it's cold. I'll do one or the other, but not both. (I know... I know...)

As soon as it clears up I will be setting the bar angle, distally, to where it was originally, so the only difference will be height, with no proximal tilt, that effectively lowers the grips as well. I was too fast tilting the bars toward me--had only ridden the bike up the street and back and was put off by the different *feel.* And I have a feeling it's very much that different feel I'm actually looking for. We'll see...

(Adding a few pics from front).

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have the Touratech bridged riser on my bike and it does help, particularly when standing. At 6'1" it makes the bars the perfect height for standing up while riding and allowing a bit of bend in my elbows. It's hard to tell but it also seems to sturdy or tighten up the front end a bit, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good info, I am just getting miles on my ATAS, but at 6'5, I would like more room standing. So no issues with cables for the tourateck? Anyone know if I can go higher without affecting the cables? The seem snug already. Was also hoping for lower pegs if anyone has a lead, only found Knight designs, send an email abou tthe fit for the ATAS, but no response, also do not like the "no off-road" warning.

·
Registered
113 Posts
TT or general risers?

Hi gents. I am a new Africa Twin owner and also to adventure riding after an hiatus from off road for 30 yrs. I am interested in the reasons why people need handlebar risers in general for both the sitting (road) and standing (trail) positions.

Again. I haven't ridden an off road capable bike in thirty years or please don't scorn me for asking this question..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
979 Posts
No issues with cables with the Touratech riser. There's not a lot of cable to spare.

Good info, I am just getting miles on my ATAS, but at 6'5, I would like more room standing. So no issues with cables for the tourateck? Anyone know if I can go higher without affecting the cables? The seem snug already. Was also hoping for lower pegs if anyone has a lead, only found Knight designs, send an email abou tthe fit for the ATAS, but no response, also do not like the "no off-road" warning.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you're tall it just helps lift the bars to a position where they are more comfortable when standing.
If you were riding it offroad all the time I think it would be useful as you'd be less bent over the front of the bike.
There's all kinds of debate whether they are useful or necessary on this forum and others. I thought I'd give them a try and it makes the bars a bit higher and more comfortable for touring and a perfect reach for me at 6'1" when standing.
It's worth a try to see if it improves the ergonomics of riding your bikes.

TT or general risers?

Hi gents. I am a new Africa Twin owner and also to adventure riding after an hiatus from off road for 30 yrs. I am interested in the reasons why people need handlebar risers in general for both the sitting (road) and standing (trail) positions.

Again. I haven't ridden an off road capable bike in thirty years or please don't scorn me for asking this question..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So no issues with cables for the tourateck? Anyone know if I can go higher without affecting the cables? The seem snug already.

They did seem snug to me too, prior to install. In fact, I put off the install thinking I might have to relocate them. But no, the 20mm riser slips in, no problem. And there is a bit of room to spare. (I even slipped that large rubber wire-wrap grommet off that big wire harness near the tree, just in case, but was able to slip it right back into place after the install). I'd estimate you could probably get another 10mm rise, easy, without having to relocate the cables. The tension on the cables doesn't seem to have changed much either.

As for why we install risers... for me, the idea was to get the bars higher so my arms and wrists lined up more naturally and comfortably, being 6'3''. I imagine this bike, like most, is designed for the averaged height rider, so it just makes sense.

However, I can't say I was uncomfortable before installing the risers. But I haven't done a lot of long range riding yet. Time will tell if the risers help--my arms and wrists seem to line up better, anyway. At this point, the biggest impact is in the standing position, a very noticeable, more comfortable, difference. And it seems more comfortable in slow circles, where I'm turning the wheel/ bars.

Good luck, man.

·
Registered
797 Posts
For me, I found the ATAS I rode with it’s higher than the standards risers were much more comfortable, sitting down and standing up. The reason I went with the SW-Motech risers rather than the TT affair was that the SW-M’s are 30mm compared to the 20mm TT’s. I would have preferred the TT one as I think it’s a better designed piece.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, I found the ATAS I rode with it’s higher than the standards risers were much more comfortable, sitting down and standing up. The reason I went with the SW-Motech risers rather than the TT affair was that the SW-M’s are 30mm compared to the 20mm TT’s. I would have preferred the TT one as I think it’s a better designed piece.
Davy, do you have the standard, or the ATAS? i am guessing any of the taller Rox risers would be out of the question for the ATAS and the cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gary, thank you for the post. I have also purchased the touratech 1 piece bar riser and the H&B handguards. As you found, the H&B supplied screws/bolts are then not long enough. You mentioned you order 70mm long bolts. May I ask where you ordered them from and what SKU or part number so I may do the same. I very much appreciate your assistance.
Ron

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Ron, in my Google search for "M8x70 countersunk screws" I found various sources at marine shops (mostly in the UK and NZ) and at AliExpress--at least sources that showed a picture of exactly what I was looking for, anyway.

Then I happened upon two eBay sellers (easier purchase), one out of China and the other out of Hong Kong both selling marine quality screws. My only issue was that I could only find this size screw with a 5mm driver head--no matter where I looked.

But the price was right, $4.18 shipped. And the seller had about 1/4 million nearly all-positive reviews.

Turns out the 5mm head allows for 24 ft/lbs torque, no problem, without any apparent stress to the screw/ screw head. The screws are marine quality stainless and pretty strong. With the 5mm head, they probably couldn't take a whole lot more torque, but they are working fine for this purpose.

I replied to your private message with the Ebay seller's info.

It took about 2 weeks for the screws to arrive, but for $4.18, all in, it was worth it.

Good luck, man. Gary

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a picture of them installed:

The heads are standard sized. It's just the driver socket that's pretty small (esp. considering the 50mm long screws that came with the Hepco & Becker kit have like 8 or 10 mm - huge - socket heads).

But they easily snugged up good and tight to 24 ft/lbs, no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I fitted Rox Barback risers to my 17 AT. They are 1 1/2 inch up and 1 inch back. At 5 ft 10 they are just a little too high for me but due to a number of back injuries and surgery I find the stock position painful after about 3 hours as I need a more upright position. These work pretty good for an 8 hour ride but take some getting used to as I have to raise my arms and shoulders a bit and make sure I don't slump on the bike (forcing me to sit more upright helps a lot with the back issues). Have been thinking of trying the touratech riser to see if I can get a little less strain on the shoulders and to avoid having to straighten the bars each day.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Guys, I had been installing raisers in all my Varaderos. Be aware of the clutch line even if it seems to be enough lentgh to compensate the extra height. In my last varadero, despite the fact that there was no noticable effect in operation, the angle of the line was slightly changed and eventually after some 2-3K kms it failed at the point where the cable enters the clutch lever adjuster. I had two failed cables until I changed the rooting of the line....

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all...I think these bridged Touratech risers may fit my 2019 CB500X on which the standard clamps accept tapered bars and use 8mm bolts. So I can check fitment I wonder if an Africa Twin owner might be kind enough to give me some measurements. Overall length of each bar clamp, overall width from outside of one bar clamp to outside of the other and hole centre distances in both directions as fitted.

I'd ask Touratech Australia but they are having a few issues around current bushfire situation in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts