Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That real cable controlled throttle could be the last line of defense in the big reverse EMP that may or may not occur.

There are already stories of DCT models trying to kill their owners with unintended acceleration. That throttle cable is our last mechanical connection left. When its gone so are some of the last roots to rider control.

Then I read the 16 and 17' models are ride by wire. Controlled by a throttle cable to a fuel throttle position sensor that controls the EFI. What the ****... If this is true? Its been stolen behind our backs lol

I know there's so much stuff that can ground bikes now. This newest isn't going to add but a fraction to the electronics big picture. I just hope I'm not already going 80mph when the big R-EMP hits.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Real cable controlled throttle? Don't the cables just run to a throttle position sensor? I'm pretty sure the only 'real cable throttles' are on carburettor engines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anything with any solid state electronics would be bricked with an EMP. My 82 Yamaha, with points and carbs may even not start without some serious tinkering to bypass the bricked electronics.

Still ROFLMAO!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This came about when I was telling a friend about new features in the '18 models. Mentioning the ride by wire, he said it was just a electronic failure point. I countered with the fact I ride a DCT and its already got 1000 electronic failure points.

Chiefkocak, in my theory of a reverse EMP. When it happens everything electronic will instantly switch to a full throttle/wide open mode till it self destructs, or crashes... That would be worse than a regular EMP in a lot of situations.

Shadowjack, I know your right, but I have read somewhere in some AT forums that our pre'18 bikes are fully ride by wire even with a throttle cable. Also I took a look at the factory manual PDF and did find a pic of the cable activated butterflies that control the air flow. WHEW, maybe we Pre '18 model owners do still stand a chance.

So all you new AT buyers are you ready to give up that last bit of true mechanical control?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This came about when I was telling a friend about new features in the '18 models. Mentioning the ride by wire, he said it was just a electronic failure point. I countered with the fact I ride a DCT and its already got 1000 electronic failure points.

Chiefkocak, in my theory of a reverse EMP. When it happens everything electronic will instantly switch to a full throttle/wide open mode till it self destructs, or crashes... That would be worse than a regular EMP in a lot of situations.

Shadowjack, I know your right, but I have read somewhere in some AT forums that our pre'18 bikes are fully ride by wire even with a throttle cable. Also I took a look at the factory manual PDF and did find a pic of the cable activated butterflies that control the air flow. WHEW, maybe we Pre '18 model owners do still stand a chance.

So all you new AT buyers are you ready to give up that last bit of true mechanical control?
Not sure why you would think fried electronics would cause a full throttle situation?? The first thing to happen would be overloads and fried fuses. Dead electronics, dead bikes, planes falling from the sky, dead cars and lots of dead people.

But still ROFLMAO that this is being discussed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Unless there's a stepper motor on the throttle shaft that actually moves the blades instead of being done by a cable, it's not RBW.

EMP isn't something I worry about, but if the ECU takes a burst, I doubt the fuel regulation and spark generation circuitry would survive. Either a no-start or roll to a stop. But if you're riding when it happened, whether the bike runs or not is going to be low priority...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts