Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use Ride On tire sealant? I used to use it in a V Strom I had with tubeless tires and I really liked it. I can't really explain how it works but it balances your tires as well as sealing most punctures you might have. Of course, it won't seal a hole from a railroad spike but nails, screws, etc it works a charm. And it balances your tires so they run smoother and you don't get that cupping of the outside edges on the front.

I asked the question because I've never used it in a tube type tire. Their material says that it works in tube tires but not as well as in tubeless because the object that penetrates the tire might damage the tube but, of course, it still balances the same.

On my V Strom the ride was noticeably smoother. I never had a puncture in the life of three sets of tires. I'm going to get some and install it. It's worth it for the balancing and the puncture protection is just an added plus.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have not used it but hear nothing but good things about it from the guys I ride with that do. I just ordered it to add to the tires I plan on putting on the AT. I like it over the beads in that it will help seal punctures.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Punctures are generally caused by nail, pinched tube or valve stem torn loose. Tire sealant is useless for all of these and just makes a big mess. With a tubed tire, you need to just plan on stopping to fix the puncture.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing that is good about using sealant in tube-type tires is that you don't have to buy more every time you buy new tires since it's inside the tube.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Punctures are generally caused by nail, pinched tube or valve stem torn loose. Tire sealant is useless for all of these and just makes a big mess. With a tubed tire, you need to just plan on stopping to fix the puncture.
I disagree. If you have a pinched tube you'll know it as soon as you air up the tire and you can fix it then. A valve stem torn loose would have to be caused by very low pressure caused by a puncture. Most of the punctures I've had in 60 years of riding were caused by running over small nails, screws, and other sharp objects which the sealer would fix as long as they were in the tread and not the side of the tire and you probably wouldn't even know about until you inspected the tires. Also, the sealant is inside the tube so how is that messy? :smile2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I disagree. If you have a pinched tube you'll know it as soon as you air up the tire and you can fix it then. A valve stem torn loose would have to be caused by very low pressure caused by a puncture. Most of the punctures I've had in 60 years of riding were caused by running over small nails, screws, and other sharp objects which the sealer would fix as long as they were in the tread and not the side of the tire and you probably wouldn't even know about until you inspected the tires. Also, the sealant is inside the tube so how is that messy? :smile2:[/QUO
I was trying to point out that the vast majority of tube ruptures spew tire sealant into the tire. I have worked in motorcycle shop for decades and have found that only smooth nails that do not tear the tube will hold air with sealant. The other pain is trying to apply a patch to a tube with sealant oozing out the hole. As you might have guessed, I hate tire sealant.:wink2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
One other point- When I talk about pinched tubes, I am referring to pinching it on the trail. When dirt riding, it is normal practice to run reduced tire pressure and tube pinches are much more common than nail punctures.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Take a look at the link i pointed above, they talk of a BMW making 20'000 miles in pakistanese tracks without any issues, having many punctures and reading the whole mail really seams pretty serious !

And there is an impressive user made video on a motorcycle tire, seams darn effective to me !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other point- When I talk about pinched tubes, I am referring to pinching it on the trail. When dirt riding, it is normal practice to run reduced tire pressure and tube pinches are much more common than nail punctures.
Yes FP I'm sure you're right in a dirt riding situation but that's not how I ride. The only dirt I and my friends do are dirt roads up in the mountains and no one drops the air pressure. We're a bunch of old guys who's objective is to get to the next tienda without falling down and drink a beer, not see how fast we can get there. And, in Mexico, if you have a flat you don't fix it. You wait for the next pickup truck to come by, load you and the bike up, and ride to the next village where the vulconadero fixes it for you for $3.:grin2: , , , and you drink a beer while you wait for him to finish.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes FP I'm sure you're right in a dirt riding situation but that's not how I ride. The only dirt I and my friends do are dirt roads up in the mountains and no one drops the air pressure. We're a bunch of old guys who's objective is to get to the next tienda without falling down and drink a beer, not see how fast we can get there. And, in Mexico, if you have a flat you don't fix it. You wait for the next pickup truck to come by, load you and the bike up, and ride to the next village where the vulconadero fixes it for you for $3.:grin2: , , , and you drink a beer while you wait for him to finish.
The Africa Twin has spoked wheels with tubed tires (hard to add bead locks to a tubeless wheel) because it is a dirt bike that is good on the road. If i want to ride all paved or graded dirt roads, I will take my Honda ST1300. I carry a tire plug kit and some co2 bottles. Much easier flat fix and a better ride for that purpose.
I am an old enduro/desert racer that still loves dirt riding. I bought an AT for real adventure rides that include long road trips that get me to great dirt riding. I lower my tire pressure when I hit the dirt and fix my own flats because I hardly ever find any Mexicans with pickup trucks where I go.:laugh:.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ride On per their own ad states that Ride On great in tubeless tires, but not as good in tube type tires.

85% to 95% of the time Ride On works on tubeless tires. However, tube tires reduced to 55% to 65% as it is impossible for a tire sealant to seal a tear.

For tube tires believe it or not Slime Tubeless Tire sealant does a better job.

So, Tubless tire use Ride On and for Tube tire use Slime Tubless Tire sealant.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts