Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
I know and realize that, there's many SINGLE riders on here. You folks maybe don't feel you need to answer or contribute, unless you feel the need. Now, as for riders that take the CEO along with them, do you have full face, 3/4 or 1/2 helmets(I'd bet no one who pilots an AT rides with a 1/2 helmet), and, if so, do you have a communications system for chatting with the passenger? I'm used to Honda Gold wings for the last 35 years and, they have built in comm systems with a cord to each helmet. When riding, and we've got some sort of entertainment on, we both hear the music.

But, when one speaks, the music is automatically cut out so the two can communicate. Then, when done talking, the music resumes after a second or two of non-comm. But, being that the AT is not as advanced and or maybe I should say, not as gadget equipped as a Wing, I'm presupposing that there is/are systems that you can get that allow for comm systems between rider and passenger, WITHOUT any cables!

I've read the terms Cardo and Sena on here, more than a few times. But, I know NOTHING about any of this stuff. I'm also on the hunt for a dedicated GPS too. But, some of those are waaaaaaaaaay out of my price range. I don't think I'd mind paying a bit for something as long as it works. But, in reading reviews for even some top rated GPS units, like the Garmin 595, there's people having issues with them too.

So, to have good comm, maybe be able to hear GPS direction turn-by-turn instructions, maybe listen to music (although not that important on an AT as it was with a Wing) what's all you folks using. Now, remember, I'm non-savvy to most of the lingo pertaining to much of this so, If something is suggested, please explain like you're talking to a 10 year old so I can understand. I'd appreciate any and all help here.
Scott

Reactions: ViperTech18

·
Super Moderator
6,344 Posts
Cardo Freedom 2+.
Full and 3/4 helmets.
Samsung Galaxy S10 for GPS and voice guidance over Cardo.

I didn't want another overpriced GPS basement brick to manage when my S10 phone can do all I need, and more. One less thing to account for. As for the Cardo, no wires. I am done being tethered to my ride, and that goes for heated riding gloves too. This all works for me.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I have had both Cardo and Sena units and they each have their pros and cons. My wife and I are currently using the Packtalk Bold units. Overall we have been happy with them. But I have a hard time understanding her at speed, she gets broken up and somewhat garbled. This is an issue we never had with the Sena. We are in the process of trying to troubleshoot that now and hopefully we can get it figured out.

Sena was always clear at any speeds, but they aren't water proof. We have had issues with our older SMH-10 and newer 20S Evo units with water egress. When water got in they would die until they dried out. To Sena's credit, they do seem to dry out well. We still have all the units and I have only had to replace batteries. But that drying out period was sometimes a day or two before they would work again. But this issue only happened in really heavy rains and was infrequent. They also lacked the mesh capabilities of the BackTalk units.

Overall I would give them both 8/10.

For GPS I use a Garmin 595. I have had it for I dunno.. 4 years now? I have had zero issues with it.

My wife uses an older Zumo 350. She has had that since 2012. That also works flawlessly to this day. My 350 did as well until she fried it testing out her wiring job on her new bike. She couldn't find hers so used mine and well... ಠ,_」ಠ

If either were to die, I would replace them with a Zumo 396 or Zumo XT. We use BaseCamp a lot for trip planning / touring and have grown very accustomed to the Zumo.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using the Cardo PackTalk Bold and it works great, it's easy to pair with my wife's. Its been bashed about and got wet many times and still works fine. The App for Android is good and they're making regular firmware updates as well.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've had both the Sena 20S and the Packtalk Slim. They're really good. I think the Packtalk is better with the JBL headphones - louder, easier to hear, better sound - especially for music.
Both work really well with passenger to passenger communication and with external devices like your phone or GPS.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Gang,
I surely want to thank all who've responded here with your experience and knowledge on this subject. There are some that rely on simplicity like DoubleThumper who uses his phone. Well, on one hand, I like that idea and you can buy a dedicated phone to use for the sole purpose of GPS duty on the bike. But, does anyone who uses a phone for their GPS have any complaints about the phone screen being too dim in day light hours? On the other hand, there are dedicated GPS units that boast bright daylight screen reading as some of their features. I had zero problems reading my factory installed GPS unit on my last bike, an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. That screen was easily readable in daylight hours. And, it auto-converted to night time screen for ease on the eyes.

We just purchased two brand new HJC 3/4 helmets from J & M Audio in Tucson AZ about 6 months ago and had them outfit them with speakers and adapter cords for linking to our Goldwing. But, the Wing is gone now. So, I talked with Pete at J & M about our situation being that the Wing is gone and, we now need rider-to-passenger comm and possible blue-tooth to maybe a GPS and or some sort of music device. He said to ship the helmets back to them and they would retro-fit a unit on each helmet that, would allow for me to hear my phone's music, and she would be able to listen to HER phones music independent of mine. But, if either one of us wanted to talk to the other, either one could simply reach up and touch a button on the blue tooth device and that would cancle BOTH music's and intercom would now be in effect.

When done talking, push that button again and, both musics resume. Is that the way that many of your devices work, if and when you have passengers?
Scott

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I am not sure which system he was talking about installing. But with both the Cardo and the Sena units my wife and I have used, reaching up and pushing a button is not required. If one of us speaks, it cuts the music until the conversation has stopped. Or optionally you can just have it lower the volume of the music to a set amount (say 30%) until the conversation stopped. No need to reach up and push anything. Now, we ride our separate bikes rather than her being a passenger on mine, but that doesn't matter.

There is also the ability to share the same music if you want to rather than listen to independent ones. But we usually listen to our own.

It will similarly break into the music when the GPS announces a turn approaching, etc.

As for the phone. I have no problem seeing my phone screen even in the brightest of conditions. My issue with the phones is mostly that the GPS apps are sub-par. They have too many deal-breakers as far as features go. Some don't allow for uploading custom routes. Some do allow it but will do a complete re-route if you deviate. Some don't allow you to plan routes on the phone. Some don't allow for the download of offline maps. Most aren't motorcycle specific and lack things such as Curvy Road option for planning/routing, etc.

This is a long watch, but if you are interested but this guy tested about 20 of them and put together a review. He truly lives up to his "Two Wheel Obsession" moniker.

While the review is a bit dated (2017) and some of these apps have been updated since then (some also folded), he found many of the same issues I did with them. I keep trying the "latest and greatest" of them. But I have yet to find one that would make me consider giving up my Zumo.

But if you just need an app to get you from point A to B, there is absolutely no reason to spend the additional money on a Garmin. There are many phones that are bright enough and IP67 or IP68 water-resistant. They should mostly with a few exceptions (looking at you iPhone X ) hold up to being used even in rain :)

·
Super Moderator
6,344 Posts
I use a Galaxy S10 that stands up to the elements and the RAM X-Grip to dampen the vibration. Keep in mind some phone cameras are sensitive to constant road vibration and may eventually fail from fatigue. On Android there are indeed some interesting motorcycle guidance apps. For me, I mostly just use Google Maps for daily purpose.

(+1) on the Cardo for similar reasons as Cuch outlines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
@DoubleThumper are you satisfied with the Cardo 2 Plus? I'm interested in the Duo pack. But don't really know if the more expensive options like Packtalk Bold, is a better option.

1) Is it true that (Cardo 2 Plus) if you're sharing music (for example Spotify) with your pillion and want to speak to her, you need to push a button?

2) Does the music volume automatically decrease for you to speak?
After the end of conversation, does the music automatically goes to the previous level?

3) As I'm aware the Cardo 2 Plus doesn't connect to other bike riders, correct?

3) The Cardo Talkpalk Bold costs twice (or more) than the Cardo 2 Plus. Do you think is it worth it?

I trying to figure out to myself f I can justify the cost. But I tend to think that if you're speeding money just spend once with something good, instead of buying cheap and regret and then spend more...

Like @FIRE UP don't know what to choose.

My use will be mostly to speak with my wife /pillion and share music from Spotify.
Other riders that ride with me at the weekends, have mostly Bluetooth intercoms. Cheap Chinese stuff, Interphone and only one of them have an old Cardo.

All opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
676 Posts
@DoubleThumper are you satisfied with the Cardo 2 Plus? I'm interested in the Duo pack. But don't really know if the more expensive options like Packtalk Bold, is a better option.

1) Is it true that (Cardo 2 Plus) if you're sharing music (for example Spotify) with your pillion and want to speak to her, you need to push a button?

After the end of conversation, does the music automatically goes to the previous level?

3) The Cardo Talkpalk Bold costs twice (or more) than the Cardo 2 Plus. Do you think is it worth it?

I trying to figure out to myself f I can justify the cost. But I tend to think that if you're speeding money just spend once with something good, instead of buying cheap and regret and then spend more...

My use will be mostly to speak with my wife /pillion and share music from Spotify.
Other riders that ride with me at the weekends, have mostly Bluetooth intercoms. Cheap Chinese stuff, Interphone and only one of them have an old Cardo.

I've been riding with my wife now for 7 years. We both agree that comms are not needed and have never missed them. Especially when traveling long distance, its great to be able to enjoy the ride on your own, then reconvene at stops and the end of tne day to talk about what we saw. Keeps the opportunity to argue low, makes sure there is plenty to talk about around the campfire and allows the ride to take precedence over small talk or discussing what to have for dinner.

My vote is no comms.

·
Registered
71 Posts
@InedibleRider appreciate your opinion. Sometimes you have to shout to be listened when riding. Not that practical. Wind noise doesn't help.
But I'm sure it already happened to you when riding, hey darling look at that beautiful bird, car, or whatsoever. .. Whaaaat? I didn't heard you...
And you, forget it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
@InedibleRider appreciate your opinion. Sometimes you have to shout to be listened when riding. Not that practical. Wind noise doesn't help.
But I'm sure it already happened to you when riding, hey darling look at that beautiful bird, car, or whatsoever. .. Whaaaat? I didn't heard you...
And you, forget it.
We tap and point. If we can't get our point across like that or remember to mention it later, it wasn't that important.

·
Super Moderator
6,344 Posts

My motive for the Cardo 2 Plus was to get basic (emergency) mobile call support, navigation directions, and then music. Secondary was inter-rider communication. In addition, I wanted long run time, decent and reliable connection, be waterproof, and have good sound quality, especially in regards to two-way navigation and remote calls.

1) Unknown. I don't stream from a service. I prefer having my favourites local on my device. In addition, my pillion does not care to talk while riding; the reasons similar as another Forum member had recently posted in this thread. For both of us, music is secondary while riding. It really is about the riding experience as it does not come along the same way again. Sometimes if I am droning alone on the freeway, I will listen to my local music or the news (rarely streamed, but I use the built-in FM radio).

2) I think so. When there is an operating system event, the foreground fades out and then back in. It is slow, but it works.

3) Don't know, haven't tried yet. There is a good chance it would, but I would guess not 100% of the time. You can say this about the competition too.

4) For me? No. Your mileage may vary.

One more tidbit:

The default speakers are "okay". If you want better, consider maybe the optional JBL speakers. I find if you want even better: Plug in your favourite wired earphones into the Cardo module. The sound quality is excellent. Beware: Your sound "isolating" earbuds need to be small enough to slide in and out of your helmet. As a bonus: With the sound "isolating" earbuds, you won't need noise earplugs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lots here. First off, the most recent versions of the Gold Wing do NOT have cables for headsets but require a BlueTooth connection. My point being, you could talk to your GoldWing buddies about what they are currently using. I've had a couple of Wings and used the wired comm for talking to my "Co-Rider" but I also had a CB so I could talk to other Wingers. My Wings (latest was 2001) didn't have GPS systems from the factory (thank goodness, my view is they are pretty brain dead) but I did add Garmin GPS units and appropriate wiring. I could run voice from the GPS, music from the Wing, Intercomm with Co-Rider and CB and it all worked great.

I'm now looking at at an ATAS but I don't plan to run with a passenger very often. I do want a separate GPS, it works regardless of Cell coverage which is an issue when I'm off road where I live - no service (yes, some apps work offline if you remember to download maps in advance but then may cost more). Having had Garmin GPS units in the past I'm pretty happy with what I have and will likely go with a Zumo XT (unless there is something newer next year - it'd be nice if it supported the Garmin GPS sensors).

My current plan is to get either a Cardo Bold (likely) or maybe a Sena 10S (for the camera but I'm concerned about the lack of waterproofness). Then, I'll link the ATAS to the Cardo (assuming I go with that). I'll link my iphone to the ATAS as well and it'll be stored in a tank bag (likely) and plugged into power on the bike. In addition, I'll have my Zumo XT plugged in (I'll install power pickup for it) and I'll link that to the Cardo as well (BT). That'll still let me connect to a group a riders through mesh technology and connect to a passenger.

Oh, and when the passenger speaks, it'll override whatever else is on the sound system and I "think" the GPS will speak over everything else.

But, of course, all this does need proving in.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well,
Not needing or wanting Com when riding two-up is definitely a matter of opinion. The CEO and I have been riding now for 38 years and, in all that time, we've had good comm systems. The Goldwings we had (5 of them to be specific) had corded intercom (between helmet and bike, not rider to rider) and, it has been a great augmentation to our riding for all that time. If you don't feel you want or need them between you and yours, well, simple, don't buy them. But, our J & M blue tooth units work outstanding. And, coupled with my Garmin Zumo XT, that even makes it better.
We'd thought about the newest Cardo units out that, just like Goldwing Comms have been doing for decades, blank out the music thats playing and, all you to talk to your passenger, simply starting to talk. Then, after a given amount of time, the music resumes to the previously set level. But, at the time I was looking, there were a few negative reviews on that new system. So, we opted for the J&M.
Scott

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gang,
I know and realize that, there's many SINGLE riders on here. You folks maybe don't feel you need to answer or contribute, unless you feel the need. Now, as for riders that take the CEO along with them, do you have full face, 3/4 or 1/2 helmets(I'd bet no one who pilots an AT rides with a 1/2 helmet), and, if so, do you have a communications system for chatting with the passenger? I'm used to Honda Gold wings for the last 35 years and, they have built in comm systems with a cord to each helmet. When riding, and we've got some sort of entertainment on, we both hear the music.

But, when one speaks, the music is automatically cut out so the two can communicate. Then, when done talking, the music resumes after a second or two of non-comm. But, being that the AT is not as advanced and or maybe I should say, not as gadget equipped as a Wing, I'm presupposing that there is/are systems that you can get that allow for comm systems between rider and passenger, WITHOUT any cables!

I've read the terms Cardo and Sena on here, more than a few times. But, I know NOTHING about any of this stuff. I'm also on the hunt for a dedicated GPS too. But, some of those are waaaaaaaaaay out of my price range. I don't think I'd mind paying a bit for something as long as it works. But, in reading reviews for even some top rated GPS units, like the Garmin 595, there's people having issues with them too.

So, to have good comm, maybe be able to hear GPS direction turn-by-turn instructions, maybe listen to music (although not that important on an AT as it was with a Wing) what's all you folks using. Now, remember, I'm non-savvy to most of the lingo pertaining to much of this so, If something is suggested, please explain like you're talking to a 10 year old so I can understand. I'd appreciate any and all help here.
Scott
I objected to paying six hundred dollars plus for a motorcycle specific GPS. For me, it wasn't worth it to have the twisty roads/curvy roads function. Excepting due south, 10 to 15 minutes in any direction gets me to decent motorcycle roads. Due south is Lake Ontario and the ATAS doesn't swim. I picked up a 4.3" Garmin Nuvi 3750 automotive GPS. It has lifetime maps, will display altitude if wanted and will get me pretty much anywhere I want to go if there is a road to it. Off road is not a high priority for me. It shows turn by turn and has voice which is pretty much standard. The Givi GPS bag shown below comes with a handlebar mount. The mount will not fit the larger diameter bar of the ATAS but fastens quite nicely to the mirror stalk. I used the left mirror. From there I used a dual plug USB port adaptor plugged into the 12V power point with a charging USB cable between the GPS and power point. The Givi holder is available in different sizes to accommodate whatever size GPS you may select. It is also available to accommodate different size cell phones if you want to go that route. It is padded, water resistant and comes with a waterproof cover for those times you might be in heavy rain. The Nuvi isn't top of the line but it is not a rock bottom basic GPS unit either. I don't want to be connected to a com unit or my phone when riding. I can check the phone when and where I stop if I remember to do so. The 3750 has been discontinued but Garmin probably has something similar in the product line now. I like the lifetime maps feature. We had a onboard Navigation system built into the car but when it came to updates, it was something like $170 for a new SD card with maps on it. Similar case with other makes of cars as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I prefer the silence of the helmet with ear plugs.
My girl friend prefers a Dogtra Collar on me.

One vibration means go faster, two means slow down.
Shock is reserved for "knock it off!"
GPS means I can't sneak off for a beer at the neighbors.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
200 Posts
I've been using the UClear products for many years with great success. They do a lot of military coms. systems and have really good noise canceling capabilities. Not as well known as the Sena and some others but nicely made and very compact. Great speakers as well.

See link: UClear Digital Helmet Audio Systems for Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, etc
Interesting... I would love toy know more about yours, what model and how they work with other riders, have you used the "universal pairing" etc.

I have been a Sena user for quite a while now and lets just say the wife and i are less than happy with ours. We had SMH10 units for a while, then we upgraded to 20s units and now we have the SRL units in our Shoei Neotech II helmets and i have a 10c EVO on my Arai XD4. Our biggest issues with these units are compatibility with other Sena devices. For example if we try to connect my 10c EVO to her SRL they both work terrible. We cannot use features like music/intercom overlay or have our GPS's connected and have them work properly. We get garbled and interrupted comms. Its super frustrating that different units in the Sena range wont work together.

Its to the point where i have been thinking about Cardo packtalks but these Uclear units seem to check off all the boxes as well. I would love to know more about them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts