Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess nobody in the Northern Hemisphere will be remotely interested in this post ATM but I wanted to share my experience of an item that has been a bloody godsend in our current heatwave.

I'll be leaving for work shortly and travelling mid afternoon with a forecast top of 45C today, it is already past 40 degrees and not even midday yet!

To cope with the heat (I refuse to ride in a singlet and shorts as many Aussies do), I recently bought an 'Arctic Heat' ice vest. They are pretty much as described, a zip fronted vest worn like a waistcoat with pouches full of water absorbent crystals that once activated and frozen are designed to keep the torso cool.

They vest is fairly bulky but my Rallye Pro suit is a loose fit with the Gortex lining removed so no problems getting the jacket on over the ice vest. They are claimed to work for 2-3 hours but in reality I find mine is good for around 1 hour, bearing in mind they are designed for sportsmen and not for travelling at speed with a lot of airflow - my jacket vents are all fully open.

And as an added bonus, they can also apparently be heated in a microwave for cold weather use. I have yet to try this so can't comment on how well they would work as a heated vest.

I have no connection or affiliation with the company that make these vests, I just wanted to share my experiences.

As a slight aside, I also wear a silk balaclava under my helmet which I soak in cold water before putting on. The evaporative cooling effect lasts for about 30 to 40 minutes, temperature dependent, and keeps my noggin cool!

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's cold as **** out in Texas right now, but I will definitely be looking at something like that for Summer. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Macna brand has a vest you put in the jacket and which fills with water, this thing makes water evaporate and keeps you 10-15°C cooler at least. They also have an heating insert
for the same jackets, which you charge and keeps you warm it's a great brand, I'm not buying anything else since I discovered it !

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looks like I'm not the only maniac that rides out in the heat then. Yep, I have one of those arctic jackets. I also wear a light grey Fly full mesh jacket over the top (funny that we live in one of the hottest continents in the world but I had to get it from Revzilla in the States). On top goes a white Airoh TTR-S open helmet (off-road only) for massive ventilation. It is a bit of a compromise I guess, but at least i have full protection on the foot/leg/knee areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Macna brand has a vest you put in the jacket and which fills with water, this thing makes water evaporate and keeps you 10-15°C cooler at least. They also have an heating insert
for the same jackets, which you charge and keeps you warm it's a great brand, I'm not buying anything else since I discovered it !

Which one did you buy? The EVO, the WET or the DRY?

Thank's!

·
Registered
34 Posts
One thing that seems counter intuitive but could probably help make the cooling effect of the vest last longer is closing the vents on the front of your jacket to limit your wind exposure at temps above about 32-35C (90-95F). Above that "wind chill" actually heats up the body instead of cooling it. Did some research into it over the summer when I felt like my mesh jacket wasn't helping keep me cool when temps hit 37C/100F.

Article that does a good job explaining it.
https://www.fix.com/blog/motorcycle-riding-in-hot-weather/

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is greatly appreciated sir I will have to look into buying one of these before we start seeing 45+up here in the states.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing that seems counter intuitive but could probably help make the cooling effect of the vest last longer is closing the vents on the front of your jacket to limit your wind exposure at temps above about 32-35C (90-95F). Above that "wind chill" actually heats up the body instead of cooling it. Did some research into it over the summer when I felt like my mesh jacket wasn't helping keep me cool when temps hit 37C/100F.

Article that does a good job explaining it.
https://www.fix.com/blog/motorcycle-riding-in-hot-weather/
The thought had crossed my mind and I tend to agree that closing the vents and insulating the cooling effect from the outside heat would be more beneficial. If my journey were longer than say 1 hour I would do that but psychologically its nice to feel some air flow, even though at times it can feel like riding through a blast furnace. Yesterday we maxxed out at 46.2C, hotter still in some parts of the city and my ride home at midnight it was above 34 still. Fortunately a freezer at work allowed me to re freeze the vest before I left for home.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess nobody in the Northern Hemisphere will be remotely interested in this post ATM but I wanted to share my experience of an item that has been a bloody godsend in our current heatwave.

I'll be leaving for work shortly and travelling mid afternoon with a forecast top of 45C today, it is already past 40 degrees and not even midday yet!
We have heat in the northern hemisphere too. Hottest temp I've observed on a road trip was 46.5C. It was afternoon though, not morning. I was wearing an evaporative cooling vest. Not sure how long the vest was lasting until dry, maybe 40min? Not longer than that.

I was also wearing BMW gear. Rallye 2 Pro pants with a Rev-It Sand jacket. Pretty good combination for the heat.

Fortunately where I am, temperatures that high aren't common, and my cooling vest doesn't get that much use.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I rode a 2015 Road Glide Special through Death Valley on June 27 2016 and the Temp reached 128 Fahrenheit, which is 53.3 Celsius. And it super sucked balls. I had to drown all my clothes in water and I drank a bit more than a gallon of water without pissing, cause it prolly evaporated through the sweat.

Loved it tho.

I wouldn't put my beloved ATAS through it, but then again, I prolly would, cause it's an amazing bike.

And, I would use the recommended cooling gear that you guys say.

Ride safe errybody!

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Evaporative vests are literally a lifesaver in those types of heat. I use one for really hot summer days (anything over 30 celcius). It keeps your core temperature down and prevents heat stroke. Stops along the way to dunk the vest into water keep you cool all day. They are a great addition to summer riding gear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Evaporative vests are literally a lifesaver in those types of heat. I use one for really hot summer days (anything over 30 celcius). It keeps your core temperature down and prevents heat stroke. Stops along the way to dunk the vest into water keep you cool all day. They are a great addition to summer riding gear.

I could do with one of them

·
Registered
33 Posts
Revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-cooling-vests
I found them to be great and the QED was when I dropped my bike when I decided on a really hot day I would be fine without one and had a moment of inattention - last day of a 16 day tour, end of 300 km ride, spent an extra hour caught in slow-moving city traffic, arrived home in a rush to get jobs done and didn't realise I hadn't put the side-stand down and couldn't hold the bike up so it crashed into wifey's car just as she walked out to greet her returning hero husband - but being a good sort she helped me lift it up!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats the down side of evaporative vests (along with needing lots of air flow) and why I decided on one that would work regardless of the RH.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I rode in melbourne on friday 25/01/2018 i left home at 10 am it was 42c .. by 1230 pm it was 45c with a hot dry northerly.

i also refuse to not wear a jacket .. i find that the only way to stay cool is to drink lots of water and sweat in the jacket and allow the air and sweat to cool me down .. ( i emptied my 2.5 ltr hydration pack twice in 3 hours on Friday.) The bodies natural cooling system works really well when the water intake is high. Although ... it does have the down side of you will stink ...

My biggest problem is that i got sun burnt thru my jeans on my knees ... to the point that it blistered ... i ended up doing the last 100 or so kms standing up so that my knees didn't take the brunt of the heat .

has any one got a remedy / trick for saving the knees on the really hot days?????

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure what sort of pants you wear but the knee armour in my suit protects my knees pretty well although I understand where you are coming from. I can feel the sun burning the tops of my legs on days such as we have experienced recently.

It may seem counterintuitive but I wear silk leggings and top under my suit. I read an article a while back about a racing team out in Spain wearing the same gear under their leathers when the track side temperatures were in the 40's. The company I bought mine from are in the UK but I guess it can be found online.

They certainly make getting into and out of both my Rallye Pro suit and my leathers easy when the body gets sweaty and sticky.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts