Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 DCT and have noticed that the rhs of the bike vibrates more than the left when riding at say 60mph. I first noticed that the image in the right mirror was more blurry than the left and then noticed that my right foot was more buzzed than my left.
Is this a common issue or something that I should be worried about for possibly leading to an engine issue?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
"Buzzing" is a common complaint on almost all street bikes and common sources I have read was the way the bike was tuned (or re-tuned), and the exhaust system.

So far I have not noticed the same on a 2019 model, but will pay attention going forward.

Given the exhaust pipes wraps under the right foot and out the back, check all mount points of the exhaust system? Rubber mount points should attach/hang gently and not be so torqued up that the exhaust metal reverberates against the bike frame.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Buzzing" is a common complaint on almost all street bikes and common sources I have read was the way the bike was tuned (or re-tuned), and the exhaust system.

So far I have not noticed the same on a 2019 model, but will pay attention going forward.

Given the exhaust pipes wraps under the right foot and out the back, check all mount points of the exhaust system? Rubber mount points should attach/hang gently and not be so torqued up that the exhaust metal reverberates against the bike frame.
Cheers will check that

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you have engine protection bars? I put lower engine bars on my 16 DCT and the vibration was awful, took them off and sold them.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
FYI: I have AltRider brand lower engine guard. They are pretty heavy duty (1.25" diameter stainless steel pipe). Haven't noticed any side-effects - yet.

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts
Do you have engine protection bars? I put lower engine bars on my 16 DCT and the vibration was awful, took them off and sold them.
I have the Outback Motorteck on mine. I can't say I have ever noticed any right side vibration, or any unusual vibration to be honest. But it could be I am just not sensitive to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Sonic. Yes I have outback motorteck what make were yours?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Outback Motorteck on mine. I can't say I have ever noticed any right side vibration, or any unusual vibration to be honest. But it could be I am just not sensitive to it.
Does the right mirror image look as clear as the left side mirror when riding at say 50mph?

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts
Does the right mirror image look as clear as the left side mirror when riding at say 50mph?

It does. Though I changed the mirror out for the Double Take Mirrors. But they look fine as well. No issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts
Cheers I have the doubletakes also. I will investigate the suggestions so far.

Do you have a DCT or a manual? If a manual have you tried to pull in the clutch while it is most noticible to see if it only does it under load?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a DCT or a manual? If a manual have you tried to pull in the clutch while it is most noticible to see if it only does it under load?

No it's a DCT so can't do that!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a 2016 DCT and have noticed that the rhs of the bike vibrates more than the left when riding at say 60mph. I first noticed that the image in the right mirror was more blurry than the left and then noticed that my right foot was more buzzed than my left.
Is this a common issue or something that I should be worried about for possibly leading to an engine issue?

One mirror and footpeg buzzier than the other and you immediately think your engine is failing?
Put some IMS Supersport pegs for XR650 on the bike and some Double Take mirrors and just ride. Worry about proper tyres for Alaska.

Sometimes my left hand goes numb, sometimes my right. Honda poor heated grips and Reinold’s syndrome suck. My feet get cold when I wear Sidi boots, warm with Alpinstar.

Vibration is subjective. Augmented or mediated with accessories. Some reports of Barkbusters, bashplates, knobby front tyres or crashbars making things worse or better.
Very rarely is anything Honda catastrophic. Annoying yes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
One mirror and footpeg buzzier than the other and you immediately think your engine is failing?
I never assumed the engine was failing I merely asked if it was an indication of something else.

Put some IMS Supersport pegs for XR650 on the bike and some Double Take mirrors and just ride. Worry about proper tyres for Alaska.

Sometimes my left hand goes numb, sometimes my right. Honda poor heated grips and Reinold’s syndrome suck. My feet get cold when I wear Sidi boots, warm with Alpinstar.

Vibration is subjective. Augmented or mediated with accessories. Some reports of Barkbusters, bashplates, knobby front tyres or crashbars making things worse or better.
Very rarely is anything Honda catastrophic. Annoying yes.
Cheers. I was merely wondering if this was something other riders had noticed or a 'feature of the AT'.

However. The image in the right mirror not being as clear as the left is not subjective. You can see the difference in clarity.

U

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does it vibrate while sitting still? Wheel bearing? Brake caliper? Rear wheel not lined up right? Chain to tight. Something while moving!?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wouldn't say vibration on one side is normal and you should try and find the cause. I'd suggest giving the bike a good going over to check that all the nuts and bolts are properly torqued. Also, has the bike always been like this or just start after you made changes to the bike?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I replaced the stock mirrors with DoubleTake Adventure. Used a 3” arm Instead of the 6” with the base extension both sides.
Barkbusters with Storm guards. Left the weight in the bars.
What you have mounted to bars or if you use risers will impact mirror vibration.
I Don’t notice any difference in mirror vibration But can’t say I’ve seriously looked for it or compared left/right through the revs.
I’ve also got SWMotech crash bars, Denali lights and SWM bash plate, Camel ADV screen brace with Garmin Montana. Wind deflector on stock screen.
None of the mods have increased vibration in bars, mirrors or feet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts