Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
" ... Here is your bike back Mr. Fishersmith and with replacement rims. Please avoid doing it again."

" ... oh, and don't get the bike wet. A lot of British clients have issues with rust. Just avoid water and you'll be just fine."

·
Registered
113 Posts
this is a very serious development on the 1100 at and one that Honda needs to deal with immediately before someone is killed. Between faulty rims and fuel starvation and the possibility of the bike stalling when on the motorway and also the cracks in the welding. I think i have bought a lump of scrap.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
this is a very serious development on the 1100 at and one that Honda needs to deal with immediately before someone is killed. Between faulty rims and fuel starvation and the possibility of the bike stalling when on the motorway and also the cracks in the welding. I think i have bought a lump of scrap.
Don't look at the frame welds too closely. Minimize the risk of an aneurysm. o_O

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
349 Posts
If you drill the holes in the rim the easy way all straight radial and bend the spokes where the pass trough, the spokes nuts can become loose in the long run
I had to glue all the spoke nuts with locktite on my 1kw (1000w) electric trike to hinder the spokes to get loose because the holes in the rim were drilled the easy Chinese way “straight radial”.to the center off the wheel
An 2020 AT Adventure Sport 1100 has over 75kw and much much more braking force.
Spoked wheels are wery strong, i think that is why they are used on ADV bikes generally but to compromise production like on the ATAS 2020 are not good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good day . I have recently purchased the 1100 adventure and am only sitting at just under 2000km at the moment . I have done a gravel road riding but these are just straight forward gravel roads that are regularly used by motor vehicles so nothing serious . I noticed that my rims are bulging with tiny hairline cracks forming on the side of the rim where the spoke enters . It has also happened to a friend of mine at just over 1000km and they where replaced by Honda and we were told that it also happened to another customer no long before he took his in . Has anyone else had this issue ? There is no damage from impact anywhere on the rim or Tyre . View attachment 62376 View attachment 62377 View attachment 62378
I have also got this problem, just been to the dealer and they agree that it is a warren tee claim. I have about 4500 km on the clock and have done most of that on ground roads.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
4500 kms is not a lot of distance. Hopefully Honda gives you a newer design that won't fail again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have also got this problem, just been to the dealer and they agree that it is a warren tee claim. I have about 4500 km on the clock and have done most of that on ground roads.
Honda replaced mine without any issues . Just finished a trip from Bela Bela to Ellisras all off-road . Just had a look at my new rims and one of the spokes has pushed out again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Scary @Fishersmith. Will need to check mine when I get back from Ghana this weekend. I Bought my 2020 ATAS manual 3 months ago from Honda in Menlyn. Also got just under 1000km on her and she needs to go in for first service. Hopefully its an isolated failure. Please keep us updated on what your dealer has to say.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had this happen to my first set of wheels, but it was a result of a ham fisted mechanic who doesn't know how to mount a tire. Dealer replaced at his cost and haven't had any recurrence since with another 20,000km on and off road. Hoping it remains an isolated problem.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Dang, this is not good! My sixteen year old Honda S2000 has been dead reliable and of great quality. I am so disapointed with issues cropping up with these bikes. I have yet to get my '19 ATAS in for the tank recall fiasco... Disappointed :-/

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
Dang, this is not good! My sixteen year old Honda S2000 has been dead reliable and of great quality. I am so disapointed with issues cropping up with these bikes. I have yet to get my '19 ATAS in for the tank recall fiasco... Disappointed :-/
Sometimes I think some "tech" is subliminally designed to make the western world toil away time.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If anyone wants a perfectly good pair of gold TUBED wheels while they are waiting for Honda to sort this issue, I have a pair off a 2018/19 standard bike. I think they fit the latest models, but if that's not true please shout up as if no-one on here wants them I may advertise them on ebay. They are currently fitted with Pirelli scorpion trails. The front has plenty of life but the back is down to 1.5mm in the centre. Both inner tubes have bike-seal puncture sealant. The bearings have just been checked at a Honda dealer service, and there's an immaculate looking rear sprocket plus nuts, and cush rubbers.
If anyone is interested, I don't want much for these, because I got brand new replacements from a member who had put Italian tubeless on his bike from new. I only swapped because the member was local to me, but I should say there is some black star corrosion on the rear wheel under the brake disk - it looks to the naked eye like small oil or tar particles but it was annoying me (I will post pictures when I have cleaned them up) ..... I can arrange delivery but if anyone is in north east england collection would be better.
Mike

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
349 Posts
Hej
If anyone wants a perfectly good pair of gold TUBED wheels while they are waiting for Honda to sort this issue, I have a pair off a 2018/19 standard bike. I think they fit the latest models, but if that's not true please shout up as if no-one on here wants them I may advertise them on ebay. They are currently fitted with Pirelli scorpion trails. The front has plenty of life but the back is down to 1.5mm in the centre. Both inner tubes have bike-seal puncture sealant. The bearings have just been checked at a Honda dealer service, and there's an immaculate looking rear sprocket plus nuts, and cush rubbers.
If anyone is interested, I don't want much for these, because I got brand new replacements from a member who had put Italian tubeless on his bike from new. I only swapped because the member was local to me, but I should say there is some black star corrosion on the rear wheel under the brake disk - it looks to the naked eye like small oil or tar particles but it was annoying me (I will post pictures when I have cleaned them up) ..... I can arrange delivery but if anyone is in north east england collection would be better.
Mike
Do you have any pictures and price ❓

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I will take some pics over the weekend after I’ve cleaned them up. But aren’t you in Sweden Svendus? I intend riding round to see my pal in Goteborg as soon as we are allowed but I don’t think I can carry a spare set of wheels 😄

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to put my 2021 ATAS through the paces to root out any potential issues with the wheels (and anything else) while I'm within the 1 year warranty. Hopefully these are isolated incidents.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts