Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order for the RokForm Cell phone case (Samsung S21 Ultra) and the handlebar mount.

Anyone here using this? It seems like a great way to secure my phone so that I can plug it into the Electronics (HUD) Unit and use Android Auto.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey KB...FWIW, I also have a Samsung S21 Ultra and use an Otterbox Symmetry case but have the Hondo Garage phone mount. I've used it off-road and it works great. Held phone in place very tightly with no movement. I can't speak to the iPhone camera issues but I haven't had any problems with my S21 (Reason #721 not to have an iPhone - Just Kidding - flaming not required 😃).

My buddy does have the latest iPhone and won't mount his on the bars for the reason mentioned above. My guess is most all of the latest modern phones with the fancy cameras will be subject to the condition mentioned in Apple's warning. I guess time will tell.

Not sure this answers your question exactly but shows similar experience. Ride safe...

Ron

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
433 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,767 Posts
Recently a Samsung Galaxy S10e mounted via RAM X-Grip (no extra secure straps) for 2000 gusty kms of which 25% in the rain.

Camera and focus still operates silky smooth.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
it is a fact i had to replace the camera on my i phone 8 do to the mount vibration on the top front of the windscreen bar to day it on she center off the handle bar there are les vibration

View attachment 65944

Note: the photo are shot with the phone that is why it is not there
I had to have the camera on my old iPhone X replaced 4 times while using a Quadlock.

After the 4th time they told me to stop mounting it that way.

I am currently using a Samsung. I haven't had that problem with them yet.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
706 Posts
Yup. One of my COBDR riding partners had this problem with his iPhone using an X-mount on his BMW GS. Apparently the problem is permanent as he has not been able to regain function. Sounds to me like the OIS is a neural network whose "learning" gains can't be reset. A rather serious design oversight IMHBIO.

I use a RAM X-mount for my iPhone attached to the Camel windscreen brace on Ol' Red but have not noticed any camera issues. Must be that Öhlins Racing suspension! :)

Reactions: Svendus

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mount and phone case will be here Wednesday. Will mount and take pics and post them up once I get it all attached.

Got in trouble with the wife, she's like that's for two right? AS in for HER bike too! I'm like no. She didn't say much to me the rest of the evening last night.

I only got it because RokForm gave me a 30% discount for one order.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Yup. One of my COBDR riding partners had this problem with his iPhone using an X-mount on his BMW GS. Apparently the problem is permanent as he has not been able to regain function. Sounds to me like the OIS is a neural network whose "learning" gains can't be reset. A rather serious design oversight IMHBIO.

I use a RAM X-mount for my iPhone attached to the Camel windscreen brace on Ol' Red but have not noticed any camera issues. Must be that Öhlins Racing suspension! :)
How long have you had it mounted. They take awhile to break. They seem like they are fine right up to the moment they suddenly aren't.

I believe the issue relates to the magnetic sensors in the closed-loop auto-focus system in the iPhone, because you can sometimes stabilize the lens by placing a magnet near it.

I'd like to think my 4 camera replacements contributed toward Apple's research on this

·
Registered
638 Posts
How long have you had it mounted. They take awhile to break. They seem like they are fine right up to the moment they suddenly aren't.

I believe the issue relates to the magnetic sensors in the closed-loop auto-focus system in the iPhone, because you can sometimes stabilize the lens by placing a magnet near it.

I'd like to think my 4 camera replacements contributed toward Apple's research on this

Apple confirms motorcycle engine vibrations can damage iPhone lens - Canada Moto Guide
Just saw this this morning. What many have discovered about their iPhone is now official. I wonder if the other phone manufacturers will be using it to their advantage.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Apple confirms motorcycle engine vibrations can damage iPhone lens - Canada Moto Guide
Just saw this this morning. What many have discovered about their iPhone is now official. I wonder if the other phone manufacturers will be using it to their advantage.
Agreed. That article you posted links to the Apple Technical document I posted. It seems everyone is confirming what many of us knew for years.

Quadlock knew it as well and released the vibration dampener to help combat it.. What surprises me though is that the Africa Twin is not (yet) included in their list of Honda's "known to cause vibration damage to the optical image stabilization of smartphones when mounted...". Can confirm from repeated testing that the Africa Twin is more than capable of damaging the OIS on the iPhone :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mounted the unit last night. I had to adjust it a bit to get the screen to be easily visible. Paired my phone and headset to the head unit. Works well.

Now to get Android Auto paired to the head unit. Speaking of which, did any of you have to update the Android Auto on your 2021 ATAS prior to pairing with your phone?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a Note 10+ and am not willing to risk damage to the OIS or orientation sensors on that phone, so I'm using a cheaper rugged phone to handle navigation. I also have a Garmin Zumo 595 (not something that I'd go with on a CRF1100), but I'm thinking of ditching that in favour of a rugged Android phone. I've got a new rugged phone on the way - the Ulephone Power Armor 13 with a 13,200 mAh battery, this will allow me to use it in heavy rain without needing to plug a charging cable in. It is pretty heavy, but that shouldn't matter if I have it held in a good mount like the Perfect Squeeze. I won't bother with a SIM card in the rugged phone, it can run offline or through a WiFi hotspot from my Note 10+ in my pocket.

My opinion: The S21 Ultra is an expensive phone that has OIS and I wouldn't personally be comfortable with having it mounted on the motorcycle and receiving all the vibrations that comes with that. I am sure it will work just fine and maybe it will continue doing so for years, but my previous phone (Samsung S7Edge) worked fine until it started doing weird stuff like flipping the screen around so everything was upside down - and that phone didn't have OIS to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, longtime lurker but officially new member today. Been a fan of the ATES for some time. Wanted to make it bike #2 in the stable. Saw this post, and figured I'd throw my .02BHP in.

I'll preface this response with the fact that I owned a 2020 HD Low Rider S with the 114ci engine. Rumble and vibrations for days.

Owned a Quadlock, it DESTROYED the camera on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. This was before QL realized they needed to create the "dampener" to fix the design flaw in their product. Had the camera repaired under warranty and decided to give Rokform a shot. Put on over 3,000 miles in it, including a nearly 1,500 mile weekend trip back in early June. Mount and case worked flawlessly.

Sadly, a cager took me out on June 24 at 2:51pm. Bike was totaled, and I have a shattered wrist and a plate/10 screws to show for it. Won't be riding again until next year, but the ATES is high on my list of bikes to consider!

TL;DR: YMMV, but the Rokform has been money for me. Granted, I kept my bike to the tarmac, but the 114ci does the Harlem Shake like nobody's business. 😁

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome Throttle! I too came to the ATAS from the HD world. Been riding Harley's for the last 25yrs so this was big change for me. Last HD was/is a 2018 Heritage Softail with the 114...fun bike and, as you say, LOTS of vibrations and rumbles. You'll love the ATAS but it's a very different ride. One note...went on a poker run with some of my old riding buddies a few weeks ago...ended up passing some big camper trailers. The Harleys simply couldn't hang with the Honda when passing...it walked away. Changed their perspective a bit...fun times...

Hope you heal soon...you'll have all winter to do your shopping! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey all, longtime lurker but officially new member today. Been a fan of the ATES for some time. Wanted to make it bike #2 in the stable. Saw this post, and figured I'd throw my .02BHP in.

I'll preface this response with the fact that I owned a 2020 HD Low Rider S with the 114ci engine. Rumble and vibrations for days.

Owned a Quadlock, it DESTROYED the camera on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. This was before QL realized they needed to create the "dampener" to fix the design flaw in their product. Had the camera repaired under warranty and decided to give Rokform a shot. Put on over 3,000 miles in it, including a nearly 1,500 mile weekend trip back in early June. Mount and case worked flawlessly.

Sadly, a cager took me out on June 24 at 2:51pm. Bike was totaled, and I have a shattered wrist and a plate/10 screws to show for it. Won't be riding again until next year, but the ATES is high on my list of bikes to consider!

TL;DR: YMMV, but the Rokform has been money for me. Granted, I kept my bike to the tarmac, but the 114ci does the Harlem Shake like nobody's business. 😁
Heal well and quickly, Brother!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks all! I'm making good progress at physical therapy every week, but still have a long road ahead of me. I WILL ride again, and that's all that really matters. 🤘

Don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll create an introductory thread in the New Members area. I'd appreciate it if you could stop by there @Ravenron - I've got so many questions that you are uniquely qualified to answer! :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts