Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now looking at getting some more off road oriented tires for the AT, but after searching various sites I am unsure quite what I need. Will a TL type tire fit correctly/safely on the stock rim? Can you also still add a tube in a TL tire if it does? I see fellas on here putting on new tires, but not a lot of mention of what is what. Sorry if this has been covered in a post already :). Thanks in advance to any suggestions or knowledge! Cheers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have researched this a little. Folks are putting tubeless tyres on the bike and putting tubes in them. They do not appear to be having problems.

However the tyre experts recommend fitting tube type tyres to tube type rims. One reason is that on occasion the bead on a tubeless tyre will be different from tube type beads. Accordingly there could be a problem if a tyre deflates quickly and the bead comes off the rim where the wrong tyre type is fitted.

One other aspect I have seen mentioned is that a tubeless tyre can run hotter with a tube in it.

Personally I will replace the OEM tyres with tube types as required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I to am running into this problem. As my new AT clicks away the miles I am being forced to buy something to replace the OEM tires. So far every tire I want to try does not have a tube type size for the AT. In fact, from what I can tell the Honda videos of test rides show the Continental TKC 80's but from what I see online the TKC 150/70-R18 is only available in as a tubeless. Does this mean even Honda is running a tubeless tire with a tube?

Confused and frustrated :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
I to am running into this problem. As my new AT clicks away the miles I am being forced to buy something to replace the OEM tires. So far every tire I want to try does not have a tube type size for the AT. In fact, from what I can tell the Honda videos of test rides show the Continental TKC 80's but from what I see online the TKC 150/70-R18 is only available in as a tubeless. Does this mean even Honda is running a tubeless tire with a tube?

Confused and frustrated :(
Yes, spot on. Even the press bikes down in Wales were running Karoo 3's with tubes. I'm also using these.
I'm off to the Ukraine tomorrow running Karoo 3's and we will be doing 1700 miles in 3 days in hot weather 30+ deg C so if I can get a post back up ill report how they are doing. :wink2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a great trip!!!, look forward to hearing how it runs. Rubber side down :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
And if someone would be so brave to post a youtube clip of actually changing the tire on the AT, that would be ++

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Guys
You are absolutely fine running tubeless tyres with tubes in. I used Karoo 3 s on a recent 2000 mile trip down to the Alps mostly on the autostrada but hairpins and off road too, they were fine no problems at all, fully loaded with panniers etc.
I've just bought a pair of Continental Trail Attack 2s and as a matter of interest emailed Continental to get their view on using tubes in tubeless tyres, see their response relating to the Trail Attack 2 tyres below :

Hi Mike
The correct front fitment for your machine is the 90/90 V21 (54V) which is rated for speeds over 149mph.
Both tyres are suitable for fitting on tube type wheels with tubes.

David Humphreys

Technical Adviser

Continental Tyres (Two Wheel) UK

01970 833904

[email protected]

www.conti-tyres.co.uk

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have researched this a little. Folks are putting tubeless tyres on the bike and putting tubes in them. They do not appear to be having problems.

However the tyre experts recommend fitting tube type tyres to tube type rims. One reason is that on occasion the bead on a tubeless tyre will be different from tube type beads. Accordingly there could be a problem if a tyre deflates quickly and the bead comes off the rim where the wrong tyre type is fitted.

One other aspect I have seen mentioned is that a tubeless tyre can run hotter with a tube in it.

Personally I will replace the OEM tyres with tube types as required.
It is standard practice to put a tube in a tubeless tyre when mounting on a conventional spoked rim.
Tyres with tubes will always run hotter than tubeless. Just run standard or HD tubes. Ultra HD tubes not recommended due to heat.
Bead retention is related to rim design. AT rear rim has retention bead. Front not.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes. everyone runs tubeless tyres with a tube on conventional spoked rims.
I’ve run multiple TKC80 and Mitas tubeless tyres with tubes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts