Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I joined 40 or so others at one of our quarterly Irish Advanced Rider Training (IART) training sessions. We meet up once a quarter for a morning presentation on a particular aspect of advanced rider tecnique. This isn't "how to ride fast training", it's "how to increase your chances to stay alive training"! We are one of 60 local voluntary groups affiliated to RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents). IART provide free training to assist us to improve riding skills, and prepare to take the RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders test, the highest available civilian riding standard in this neck of the woods. We also meet up once a month for a rideout. Myself and a few others went for a wet spin afterwards, new Hyperpro rear spring living up to expectations.

Attachments

Reactions: crstep

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks like a good time in spite of the weather. It sounds odd to hear of licensing restrictions and requirements that you have across the big water. Much less over here. Took an easy test on a dirt bike when I was 16 and have had the motorcycle endorsement on my license ever since then, and in several states that I have lived in. A lot of complaining going on over here right now, but people do not realize how good we have it in the US. Traveled in France where I was originally born and would not wait to get home for some good old US junk food!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I was the same when I took my test many years ago, one riding test, no training, no exams, no graded age restrictions of today. You could ride a 250cc on learner plates with no training whatsoever in the 70's UK. This thing above is totally voluntary and just a good bunch of guys to meet up with once in a while.

When I did my test the examiner was just on the side of the street with a clipboard. I dressed up like a complete dork in dayglow Sam Browns, an orange open face and a pair of the brothers Metropolitan police gloves, the ones with the big wide white cone style cuff. I reckon the guy let me pass for looking like a complete [email protected]! Test passed and back to me mates for a burn up of the back roads of Portsmouth, UK. I was the envy of the group with a 250X7 at the time, RD250's, CB250N Superdreams and KH250's were my peers mounts. Then some git ruined it all and bought a brand new white RD400, my short reign was over............:frown2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts