Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried the conventional Rotella T 15w40 in their Africa Twin. I used to run it in my KLR with no issues but the KLR motor was prehistoric compared to the AT motor. There are tons of opinions about how great this oil is for motorcycle motors and I like it because it's cheap and available everywhere. Although I am kinda concerned about using 15w instead of 10w because I ride year round. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dont skimp on oil, ever heard the saying "Got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet" now not saying you should get the most expencive stuff, but look after your baby after all it's not a $10 bike. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use Rotella exclusively in my Harleys, but for heat protection and performance in the air cooled motor. Big Twins are air cooled and low revving, and the same thing that makes Rotella good for diesels makes it good for standing up to the heat. I have had no problems with it. That being said, I use nothing but what the manual recommends in my AT, because the mill in the AT is water-cooled and high revving (compared to a 103" Big Twin)....

·
Registered
66 Posts
My son and I used to use Rotella in our DRZ400's. Never had a problem.
Would change oil every 1000kms.
Switched to Royal Purple 10w40 synthetic a couple of years ago, there was a huge improvement in how the transmission shifted gears.
Just did my first oil changed on the AT - DCT and put in the purple 10w40. Haven't taken a ride yet, but will report back.
Plan on changing oil every 4-5000kms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's expensive, but I wen't with 10w30 Red Line for my first change at 600mi... I'm now at 1,500mi and so far so good. It may be in my head, but it felt like there was a noticeable difference in the smoothness of shifting. Then again, this is just a splurge for the first oil change and may go for a cheaper synthetic next round.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the input everyone. I think I'll just stick with what Honda recommends and not try to go cheap. I love this bike and hope to get many miles out of it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Although I am kinda concerned about using 15w instead of 10w because I ride year round. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Depends what your temperature range is. 15W is OK to pretty cold. 10W is OK to colder. Easy to google the recommended ranges for the oils. If I had a manual I'd be more inclined to do with a 40 grade and if I did, I'd have no problem with the oil you're asking about. Since I have a DCT I'm sticking with Honda's recommendations for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts