Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something about these that I really like. I had one of their 500's and it was a very solid, reliable, stylish but slow bike. The new Continental GT has really caught my eye. I love the retro cafe' look and the price is pretty hard to beat for what you get. I did a test ride earlier and it seemed like a lot of fun. Anyone here but a fair amount of time on one?

·
Registered
2017 Duke 690, 2019 versys 1000 SE LT+
14 Posts
Haven't tried one, but I've been watching the prices drop on the 2019 w800 cafe. I think they sell for the same as the Royal's msrp.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had looked at the W800 too. I saw a comparison and surprisingly, the Contintental actually was about the same in the 1/4 mile and had a higher trap speed. The RE also beat the W800 to 100 mph, as well as top gear roll on (40-60 and 60-80). A big miss on the Kawi is rolling on bias ply tires. That is a little too retro for me. Not a big fan of the tubed tires in either of them. Here is the link if any interest. I love cafe racers as I grew up on Norton Commandos as my dream bike and finally bought a few. I think the RE looks the part better than the W800, a big part due to the upswept pipes. I saw one with the natural finished tank (no paint other than a stripe) and the bike looked pretty stunning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had looked at the W800 too. I saw a comparison and surprisingly, the Contintental actually was about the same in the 1/4 mile and had a higher trap speed. The RE also beat the W800 to 100 mph, as well as top gear roll on (40-60 and 60-80). A big miss on the Kawi is rolling on bias ply tires. That is a little too retro for me. Not a big fan of the tubed tires in either of them. Here is the link if any interest. I love cafe racers as I grew up on Norton Commandos as my dream bike and finally bought a few. I think the RE looks the part better than the W800, a big part due to the upswept pipes. I saw one with the natural finished tank (no paint other than a stripe) and the bike looked pretty stunning.

Thanks, I'm also considering the Triumph scrambler xc. I found it much more comfortable, and very retro. Double the horsepower doesn't hurt either :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Scrambler is a nice ride. You are right, double the HP doesn't hurt but more than double the price does. o_O I like when it is double the price and triple or quadruple the power.

I really like the Thruxton series too. I had a Rocket 3 before and when I see the new model, I always get a feeling that I need to buy one again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats @InedibleRider, nice looking bike. I have always been a fan of cafe' racers so I am willing to deal with the ergos since I won't be riding a super long time anyway. If It is really bad, all the interceptor parts will swap over. I stumbled across one at a price I couldn't pass up. Even it was the interceptor I would have bought it at the price the seller was asking. :cool: What I saved on buying my 2020 AT was enough to pick up the Conti GT.

I'll just have to make the tires tubeless at the first flat or tire change.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Congrats @InedibleRider, nice looking bike. I have always been a fan of cafe' racers so I am willing to deal with the ergos since I won't be riding a super long time anyway. If It is really bad, all the interceptor parts will swap over. I stumbled across one at a price I couldn't pass up. Even it was the interceptor I would have bought it at the price the seller was asking. :cool: What I saved on buying my 2020 AT was enough to pick up the Conti GT.

I'll just have to make the tires tubeless at the first flat or tire change.
Apparently the 2021s have cast alloy tubeless wheels as an option. I like the spoked look anyway, especially the legit stainless spokes they used. Also planning on making them tubeless pretty quick here.

Same here on the deal. Didn't need it, but would have been stupid not to buy. I could easily sell it for more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is such a fun, unpretentious bike. When you put a big bore kit in and do the associated other mods, they can put out a solid 70-80HP at the rear wheel and be reliable as heck. Check out the work by Revelry Cycle in Sydney, Australia. They have a lot of YT vids on the work they've done. Pretty impressive what you can do with these for not a lot of money if so inclined. I found a complete used motor including electrics, fuel injection and pretty much all I need for a base hi-po build for a grand.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Its fun and unpretentiousness is why I think I may keep this bike pretty stock. I've got enough other bikes to play around with, and for what I bought it for this thing is pretty much the way I want it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked it up earlier this week and so far the mods are going well. Put on reverse megaphone mufflers. A high flow air filter. I added a solo seat and tail cover. Also added bar-end mirrors, removed the fender extensions to clean it up a bit. A more retro taillight. Took off the grab bar off. Added a phone holder that blends in pretty well when off the bike. Also shorty, adjustable levers that work pretty well. Little leather saddlebags (not sure if I'll keep them but they work well for now). I was thinking about making a leather strap hold down for the tank if I have time. I have the little RE short windscreen which actually helps more than I thought it would but I might go for the taller one. Put an LED headlight in and combined with the large reflector works really well.

Riding it is a lot of fun. It will break the ton (according to the GPS on my phone). It has very solid low and mid-range pull. By 6500 it is definitely signing off and not much point going past 7000 except in the lower gears. The roll-on in 6th is surprisingly good. All in all I think RE did a great job on the bike. For the price they are asking there is a lot of bike for the money. They definitely go the chassis right but I do need to change the fork oil and add a spring appropriate for my weight. Rear shocks would be appropriate for someone under 190 or so. Probably good for someone about 150-160.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Looks great man.

So far all I've done is add some Interceptor badges to deal with the INT650 decal. I hate riding a bike named because of a trademark dispute. I also ordered some leather grip wrap from India. Who knows when it will arrive. Also considering a mid tone brown seat from an outfit in India.

I have been able to put on about 160km and enjoyed every one of them. I've only had two days that had enough rain to wash away the old brine before clearing up in just the right way so the temperature stays up long enough that I can get out before it dips low enough to activate the brine crews. Threading the brine needle. PNW problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice, I wonder how it would look with two of the little bags on each side? I agree that they look a bit out of scale with one on each side. Two per side makes them appear bigger and more rectangular. like we are used to seeing saddlebags.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice, I wonder how it would look with two of the little bags on each side? I agree that they look a bit out of scale with one on each side. Two per side makes them appear bigger and more rectangular. like we are used to seeing saddlebags.

This Indian outfit some very nice bags scaled for the REs. Ebay and AliExpress have a ton of options as well, although who knows about quality.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll look at the bags. Like I said, I don't love them but they work pretty well and don't totally destroy the lines. Good idea to try 2 of them on one side.

Just got back from a ride with my son. He was on the Conti and I was on my 2020 AT (which he has never ridden). I kept offering to switch but he wouldn't. I know he has been wanting to ride the AT but he was really enjoying the Conti.

What has been shocking is how inexpensive many parts are for this. It is like about half the price of most bikes. A lot of interesting parts in India. Looks like the bike is very popular in Australia as well.

I did find something I don't like on the Conti vs. the INT. The sidestand is much harder to find. It is right under the footpeg due to the rearsets. Actually the bar, peg, seat relationship isn't too bad. Not as comfy as the INT but not too bad at all. Really feels in character with the bike. Works very well from about 60-90 with no weight on your arms. It really cruises nicely between 76-85. The top gears are a bit shorter than I thought they would be but the benefit is really not a lot of need to downshift unless in a real hurry.

The chassis is a gem. I can understand now why people go with a big bore kit to really take advantage of the bike's potential. It is so light and nimble. Add an extra 20 hp and it would be REALLY entertaining. As it is now, everything works pretty nicely and I am transported back in time to when I had my Norton Commando in JPS colors. It really isn't much slower than my Norton when I first got it.

My 750 ran low to mid 13's and last test I saw for one of Conti 650's was high 13's with about the same trap speed as Norton 750 Commando. Not sure how much, if any the exhaust and air cleaner add but it does feel more responsive and seems to rev higher. The exhaust is just loud enough to be throaty and has a nice burble to it. Saved a ton of weight over the stock one. The 2 pipes weigh less than just one of the stock mufflers.

Royal Enfield really captured the spirit of those old bikes and modernized them to make them more livable on a daily basis. How I would have loved to have fuel injection back then.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Picked it up earlier this week and so far the mods are going well. Put on reverse megaphone mufflers. A high flow air filter. I added a solo seat and tail cover. Also added bar-end mirrors, removed the fender extensions to clean it up a bit. A more retro taillight. Took off the grab bar off. Added a phone holder that blends in pretty well when off the bike. Also shorty, adjustable levers that work pretty well. Little leather saddlebags (not sure if I'll keep them but they work well for now). I was thinking about making a leather strap hold down for the tank if I have time. I have the little RE short windscreen which actually helps more than I thought it would but I might go for the taller one. Put an LED headlight in and combined with the large reflector works really well.

Riding it is a lot of fun. It will break the ton (according to the GPS on my phone). It has very solid low and mid-range pull. By 6500 it is definitely signing off and not much point going past 7000 except in the lower gears. The roll-on in 6th is surprisingly good. All in all I think RE did a great job on the bike. For the price they are asking there is a lot of bike for the money. They definitely go the chassis right but I do need to change the fork oil and add a spring appropriate for my weight. Rear shocks would be appropriate for someone under 190 or so. Probably good for someone about 150-160.

View attachment 59362
View attachment 59363
View attachment 59364
View attachment 59365
****, what a great looking machine!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll look at the bags. Like I said, I don't love them but they work pretty well and don't totally destroy the lines. Good idea to try 2 of them on one side.

Just got back from a ride with my son. He was on the Conti and I was on my 2020 AT (which he has never ridden). I kept offering to switch but he wouldn't. I know he has been wanting to ride the AT but he was really enjoying the Conti.

What has been shocking is how inexpensive many parts are for this. It is like about half the price of most bikes. A lot of interesting parts in India. Looks like the bike is very popular in Australia as well.

I did find something I don't like on the Conti vs. the INT. The sidestand is much harder to find. It is right under the footpeg due to the rearsets. Actually the bar, peg, seat relationship isn't too bad. Not as comfy as the INT but not too bad at all. Really feels in character with the bike. Works very well from about 60-90 with no weight on your arms. It really cruises nicely between 76-85. The top gears are a bit shorter than I thought they would be but the benefit is really not a lot of need to downshift unless in a real hurry.

The chassis is a gem. I can understand now why people go with a big bore kit to really take advantage of the bike's potential. It is so light and nimble. Add an extra 20 hp and it would be REALLY entertaining. As it is now, everything works pretty nicely and I am transported back in time to when I had my Norton Commando in JPS colors. It really isn't much slower than my Norton when I first got it.

My 750 ran low to mid 13's and last test I saw for one of Conti 650's was high 13's with about the same trap speed as Norton 750 Commando. Not sure how much, if any the exhaust and air cleaner add but it does feel more responsive and seems to rev higher. The exhaust is just loud enough to be throaty and has a nice burble to it. Saved a ton of weight over the stock one. The 2 pipes weigh less than just one of the stock mufflers.

Royal Enfield really captured the spirit of those old bikes and modernized them to make them more livable on a daily basis. How I would have loved to have fuel injection back then.
There is a guy on YouTube named Stuart Fillingham. He has a whack of videos on maintenance etc for the Interceptor/GT. Worth checking out. My next project is to get all the cases as shiny as he does.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I just found his vids. I used so use a buffing wheel and compound to polish out my old Norton, BSA and Triumph cases. A lot of work initially and a lot of maintenance to keep it that way unless you clear coat after you polish. I don't know that I'll go to that level of effort but I saw some nice finned pieces I might add to help with cooling.

I am pretty impressed with how tractable the motor is and how low it will pull. I ran it down to 1700 rpm in 6th (about 27 mph) and just rolled on the throttle and it just pulled all the way back up to 70 with no bucking, chugging, hesitating or any bad manners. That was pretty impressive. Unless you are in a real hurry (and likely on the wrong bike then), it is pretty awesome to just put it in 6th and leave it there once at 40 mph and up. With the 270º firing order it has a very nice sound.

For what I have invested in the bike, it is a heal of deal and turns heads everywhere. Heck, I've spent more on accessories for some bikes than I have spent in total on this thing. Still some money to drop on it though. I want to seal the rims and make them tubeless. Likely will change the front fork springs and upgrade the rear shocks. I found a really nice all chrome tank that would look awesome as well. I still can't get over how cheap parts and accessories are for this bike in the grand scheme of things. It is like Aliexpress pricing but you get pretty decent quality parts. I found a set of cast aluminum wheels (front and rear) I might go with if they are tubeless as they are only about 350 shipped and look pretty cool. I could get them powder coated gold and match the tank striping. So easy to work on too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went on an about a 150 mile 4 hour ride on the Conti today with the person who bought my 2018 ATAS DCT. Road along the coast and the N. Florida Keys. It was a perfect day for a ride, started out in the 70's then peaked about 82 degrees and back to the mid 70's. I have to say the riding position wasn't as punishing as I thought it would be. Suspension is pretty bad in the rear for my weight but on most roads it was pretty ok. Hit one big bump I thought I'd compress my spine on and even the AT popped up over it but for the most part all that suspension travel soaked it up.

Twisting it pretty hard for most of the day, got about 60 mpg. On the highway we were running pretty steady 80-85 mph. The Conti will run that pretty easily and still has some in reserve but the AT will run away from it at that speed. At 85 though for a long time my fingers are starting to feel the vibes and the wind blast is intense but we did have a lot of winds today. It really is in its element when cruising 60-80 on the highway. Basically you can just put it in 6th and leave it there and good rollon acceleration to pass at 60. Even the guy on the AT was surprised when I let him ride it for a bit. His comment was you really feel like you are riding something. As in being a lot more involved on what is going on.

It really is just a fun bike. IT sounds amazing. It is fun going up through the gears. It draws a lot of attention when you stop. If you wring it out it is fairly fast. Top speed isn't the purpose of this bike though. It is like the difference between sailing and powerboating. When I am on a powerboat, I am normally going somewhere or doing something. When I get on my sailboat, I am already in there. On the Conti, once I fire up the bike and roll off, I am where I want to be, riding for the pure joy of it. Nothing pretentious or mind-numbing quick, just a fun ride that puts me more in touch with the ride. For the money, it is a screaming bargain. The looks, fit and finish, and riding dynamics belie its price.

The only place I really feel the price so to speak is the rear shocks. Front forks will be improved with an oil change and spring but I see no hope for the rear. Almost forgot, the tires must be fake Pirellis as they are pretty bad but it still handles better than the Kawi W800. I can't see myself riding cross country on it, but I could. I have no doubt it would make it. The Interceptor might be a better option. I still am a sucker for the cafe racer looks and at least I am not severely punished when riding. If they'd drop this motor in a Himalayan style ADV bike, it could make a heckuva fun package. I'll still take my AT over this but it really is a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts