Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Went on an about a 150 mile 4 hour ride on the Conti today with the person who bought my 2018 ATAS DCT. Road along the coast and the N. Florida Keys. It was a perfect day for a ride, started out in the 70's then peaked about 82 degrees and back to the mid 70's. I have to say the riding position wasn't as punishing as I thought it would be. Suspension is pretty bad in the rear for my weight but on most roads it was pretty ok. Hit one big bump I thought I'd compress my spine on and even the AT popped up over it but for the most part all that suspension travel soaked it up.

Twisting it pretty hard for most of the day, got about 60 mpg. On the highway we were running pretty steady 80-85 mph. The Conti will run that pretty easily and still has some in reserve but the AT will run away from it at that speed. At 85 though for a long time my fingers are starting to feel the vibes and the wind blast is intense but we did have a lot of winds today. It really is in its element when cruising 60-80 on the highway. Basically you can just put it in 6th and leave it there and good rollon acceleration to pass at 60. Even the guy on the AT was surprised when I let him ride it for a bit. His comment was you really feel like you are riding something. As in being a lot more involved on what is going on.

It really is just a fun bike. IT sounds amazing. It is fun going up through the gears. It draws a lot of attention when you stop. If you wring it out it is fairly fast. Top speed isn't the purpose of this bike though. It is like the difference between sailing and powerboating. When I am on a powerboat, I am normally going somewhere or doing something. When I get on my sailboat, I am already in there. On the Conti, once I fire up the bike and roll off, I am where I want to be, riding for the pure joy of it. Nothing pretentious or mind-numbing quick, just a fun ride that puts me more in touch with the ride. For the money, it is a screaming bargain. The looks, fit and finish, and riding dynamics belie its price.

The only place I really feel the price so to speak is the rear shocks. Front forks will be improved with an oil change and spring but I see no hope for the rear. Almost forgot, the tires must be fake Pirellis as they are pretty bad but it still handles better than the Kawi W800. I can't see myself riding cross country on it, but I could. I have no doubt it would make it. The Interceptor might be a better option. I still am a sucker for the cafe racer looks and at least I am not severely punished when riding. If they'd drop this motor in a Himalayan style ADV bike, it could make a heckuva fun package. I'll still take my AT over this but it really is a lot of fun.
Wishing my father ended up in Florida with the rest of his family when he left Puerto Rico. No he said. I'll go to Canada he said. Definitely jealous of your weather right now.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I feel your pain. My ex was from PR. Her dad was from Spain and her mom from Cuba. Where did they move after PR? Chicago and then Minneapolis. WTF? My ex didn't want to leave the area because her family was there. So I felt like I did 20 years in (frozen) hell until I was paroled (i.e. our kids were out of high school). I paid my dues and feel I deserve to live out my remain 20 or so years in someplace warm again.

On the downside, the AT just shovels heat at your chestnuts when it gets over 90 degrees or so. At least my 2018 did and haven't had any days warm enough on the 2020 to see if it is the same. The humidity is pretty oppressive too mid-July through Sept but I'll gladly suffer through that in exchange for the amazing winters. I can go to the beach on those really hot days and check out the scenery. The AT is also a blast to ride on some of the beaches here too. Kill the TC and amazing fun when nobody is looking...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've managed to put 301km on the Interceptor now. Really love this bike. In terms of just the joy of riding, I think it is one of my all time favourite bikes. I'll definitely be replacing the front fork oil, but three clicks on thr back end and I can't see needing to out money into that. I have replaced the tail light, removed excess plastics and have some new signals to put on. A new brown seat is on its way from India as well. An hour on the stock seat is absolutely awful.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ordered front fork adjusters so I can dial in the preload. I'll likely swap out the spring and try different oil before maybe going to an emulator. I got a great deal on YSS shocks for the rear and I'm dialing them in now. I was big enough that no amount of preload on the stock rear got me any amount of usable suspension travel. The YSS have a lot more range and adjustable compression and rebound dampening.

Out of the box, they were worse than stock but now I am getting them dialed in. One really nice thing I'll play with later, is I can adjust the length of them. So I'll probably increase it a bit to quicken up the steering a touch more.

I ordered a 16T front sprocket to drop revs at cruise. I spend a lot of time at 80 mph this will help. Hopefully it won't kill off too much of the roll-on power it has now in 6th gear.

I ended up getting the taller flatscreen. Color me surprised but it does more than be a fashion statement. If I tuck my head a bit, I can actually get a still air pocket that is useful. Today it was pretty chilly here (40F) and it actually kept me warmer. It is a touch wider (about an inch) and about 3 inches taller. Maybe not quite a cool looking as the other but a lot more useful.

I picked up some Trip Machine mini leather panniers that look better than the small test PU leather ones I had. Definitely more space and better materials. I found a nice Dunstall Norton cafe racer fairing I'll probably pick up to complete the look I want. So far this bike is a blast to go nowhere on, and even longer jaunts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The more I ride this, the more I think it might appeal to the average AT rider. In the sense that the AT is far from being the most powerful ADV bike, but it has enough power to be fun. I think the RE fills that bill very nicely. I did have sort of an epiphany though. I had just gotten of the Conti after a nice ride and hopped on to my KTM Duke 890R which is my current favorite streetbike when I want to strafe apexes.

It makes just a touch more power than the 1100 AT but in a bike that weighs about 200 pounds less so it has a very nice power to weight ratio. I was thinking if I could just drop that motor in my Conit what a blast that would be. Now that I have the suspension better sorted, I can take advantage of more power. I find about 90-100 HP in a fairly light bike makes for a lot of fun on the street. I think that is why I enjoy the AT so much. It probably is more about the power to weight ratio than the actual HP/TQ numbers but for me about 5 pounds per HP is a good starting point for fun.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The impound laws here are pretty easy to run afoul of, so I don't even think I will bother with the booster plug or other performance mods. I can stretch some bikes legs when I get far enough away form civilization, but not where I plan to ride the Interceptor. Plus I love the look of that RE engine. My plan for this bike is commuting a bit, riding to the beach to sip beers and chase tail, getting away from the wife on long, aimless rides around the city and ripping up the Sea to Sky highway for coffee.

Got the new signals mounted. Big improvement. Bar end mirrors are en route from England which will finish cleaning up the front end.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
All I can say is I hope Vancouver police aren't worse than Ontario. The OPP were a real pain my arse. At least in Vancouver can't say I had any unplanned encounters with the police there. Can't say I am a big fan of the RCMP either. There is a lot I like about Canada but the strict traffic enforcement isn't. Some places get so wound up about 5 km/h over the limit. Just ridiculous.

In those environments, often with lower speed limits, the stock motor is probably pretty good. I like the look of the motor too but another 20 HP would be awesome. If I keep it for some time the big bore kit might really be worth doing.

I am really glad I upgraded the rear shocks. Now that they are getting broken in, the improvement is even more obvious. I just have to be careful I don't turn a 5k motorcycle into a 10k motorcycle unless I really plan on keeping it for a long time.

I have sort of an internal rule I go by. If I spend more than 15-20% of the bike's purchase price on mods, I probably didn't buy the right bike in the first place. Normally I like to try and keep that closer to the 5-10% range. Thankfully RE accessories are generally so cheap, you can do a lot with a little bit of money. The more I see the Interceptor, the more I wouldn't mind having one in the garage next to the Conti GT. Triumph better really watch out.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
All I can say is I hope Vancouver police aren't worse than Ontario. The OPP were a real pain my arse. At least in Vancouver can't say I had any unplanned encounters with the police there. Can't say I am a big fan of the RCMP either. ...
Fortunately I've never had to engage with any of those divisions for anything, except maybe a charity food drive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nice photos @InedibleRider. Cosmetically, RE really got these bikes right. The details are pretty good in almost all areas. The worst thing so far for me is the sort of budget switchgear. The fueling is flawless on mine, no lean surges, bucking or spitting. The engine is gorgeous and really kept the British character.

When I look at my Continental GT, it really stirs up my memories of lusting after a Norton Commando as a child in the same way that maybe smelling a hot apple pie reminds you of grandma's house when you were a kid. It is really ironic that the cheapest bike in my garage, is the one I always look at before closing the door.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for sharing the vid, pretty cool. At about 9 min, you see a lot more of the pin striping. Those guys are the bomb! Amazing how well it turns out. I could see RE someday becoming like Hyundai/Kia was to Honda/Toyo/Mazda/etc., to the other Japanese and British bike manufacturers.

I'll definitely look at any other bikes they come out with in the future, especially if a bigger bore.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The opening few frames with the tank stripes going down ... like wow.
Good eye, steady hands and the right touch. The guy is worth his weight in gold. Even given months to practice you probably wouldn't want the tank I tried to pinstripe.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Here is something that looks pretty interesting. The Norton Atlas. A 650 parallel twin with the same firing order as the AT and RE. This thing could be a lot of fun with 85 HP from its 650 motor and dry weight under 400 pounds. Depending on the price, I could see myself buying one.

Go here to register interest if you want.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts