Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed a strange thing on my AT's rear rim -- on the brake rotor side, the black anodizing on the edge of the rim appears to be rubbing off from contact with something. I don't understand this at all, since nothing appears to be anywhere close to touching the rim. Has anyone seen this before? It's a 2016 silver DCT with about 7,500 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I can see -- the tire is about a half inch wider, so I don't think anything up in the fender could hit the rim there without also hitting the tire. There are three cables/wires tied to the swingarm (brake line, parking brake line, sensor wire) that I guess could rub the rim on compression, but they appear to be tied securely in place a couple inches away. And they show no signs of rubbing that I can see.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
Have you been riding off-road where maybe you got some mud, rock or debris stuck up behind those cables/wires where they could have been making contact/rubbing without your being aware?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think so, but I did go on a 3K-ish mile, 2 week ride and rode a lot of off road. But there was almost no mud or anything that would stick to the swingarm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That tire looks fairly new? Did you mount it yourself? I'm thinking that maybe whoever mounted the tire rubbed the original paint off and gave the rim a quick coat of paint that didn't adhere. Just a guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, that's not it. I did it myself. I put a couple nicks in the rim with tire irons, but the rubbing marks didn't happen until a few hundred miles later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll bet a stick or branch got stuck on the swingarm then worked its way loose but not afterrubbing the finish off the rim.
You know, I bet you're right. I probably first noticed it about halfway through my 3K mile ride and I don't think it's any worse now than it was then. So whatever was rubbing might have only been there for a while and then fell out. Thanks for the idea -- I'm going with that! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Were you plowing through some deep sand or loose rocks? My truck rims looked like that after teaching my 10 year old how to drive on sand. I'd let her mess up and dig in a bit before having her put it into 4WD. At the end of the day my rims looked like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All the rubbing was only on one side and only the rear, so I don't think it was anything other than a stick or something that got lodged in the swingarm and then fell out. That seems like the mostly likely cause.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts