Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is ok to run the AT in gear on the centre stand to lube the chain,or do you need to turn off the TC and rear ABS to prevent the electronics getting upset?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bad idea just for the safety reasons. Go for a short ride to warm up the chain then put the bike up on the center stand in neutral (engine OFF) and spin the back tire with your right hand while spraying with your left.hand.
If the chain needs cleaning the best you can use is the odor free kerosene for lamps that you can get from any hardware store. The natural oils will keep the "O" rings from dry out and it cleans like a champ.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
295 Posts
+1

Very BAD idea. Very unsafe.

Bad idea just for the safety reasons. Go for a short ride to warm up the chain then put the bike up on the center stand in neutral (engine OFF) and spin the back tire with your right hand while spraying with your left.hand.
If the chain needs cleaning the best you can use is the odor free kerosene for lamps that you can get from any hardware store. The natural oils will keep the "O" rings from dry out and it cleans like a champ.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
To answer the original question from an electronics PoV, you may get a warning light, but it will clear as soon as you restart the bike and ride it a very short distance.

As for your physical safety aspects of running the bike on the center stand, there are lots of ways that could go badly for you and the bike.

·
Registered
800 Posts
No problem to oil it on the stand in 1st, I do it all the time and still have all my fingers. I've recently got a handy wee attachment that fits on the top of the can which stops lube flying everywhere. I lube mine after being out when the chain is nice and warm. It doesn't do anything to the electrics.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Once you have it up on the centre stand (with the bike off)you can turn the rear wheel by hand in neutral. Clean and lube the chain in a few minutes without a lot of drama.

Do it in gear while running and make a mistake like fingers or tools in the chain or have it come off the centre stand and you're looking at a disaster. Not sure why riders think there is an advantage to having the chain turning in gear.

Reactions: Shifty

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
It is an advantage...it is by far the quicker method to get the chore out of the way.

If you're stupid enough to get your fingers cut off, you're doing us all a favour by not riding a bike at all......>:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have to say that for a motorcycle forum you lot seem to be risk averse to the nth degree.I asked about possible problems to the bike,I am pretty sure I can keep my fingers away from the moving chain.Unlike a mate of mine who greased a moving chain with his fingers many years ago.Now that WAS stupid and resulted in a hospital stay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd rather take my time than save a few minutes and not take the chance of the worse happening.
Anyone who oils there chain while running there bike can feel free to drop me a message and I'll let them oil my chainsaw chains while there running,maybe try and file the teeth as they wiz past and save me down time doing this chore!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Anyone who oils there chain while running there bike can feel free to drop me a message and I'll let them oil my chainsaw chains while there running,maybe try and file the teeth as they wiz past and save me down time doing this chore!
Not the same thing.....:wink2:

I too feel that there are far too many of our North American friends who seem terribly risk adverse in virtually everything.
Is it their sue culture that has turned such a great nation into a bunch of ninnies ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
In the mechanical world there are countless stupid accidents, because of hair, clothes, rings and clumsiness.
I'm baffled by the argument it's the fastest way... you're really 5 seconds away from something, and is it really !?

1° Put the bike on the stand: 6 seconds
2° engage 1st and run engine : 4 seconds
3° take lubricant and kneel in front of the chain : 5 seconds
4° lubricate the chain : 4 seconds
Total : 19 seconds

1° Put the bike on the stand allready in neutral: 6 seconds
2° take lubricant and kneel in front of the chain : 5 seconds
4° lubricate the chain turning whell manually: 7 seconds
Total :18 seconds

Exactly, I take enough risks on the road not to be an idiot, for absolutely no reason or just the sake of being perceived as some kind of said cool, or adventourous person or I don't know what !
It's like lighting fire with gasoline, because surely I know how to do it and it's fast, I'm not stupid enough to pour some on me or light the vapours... sure !

Reactions: superfunkomatic

·
Registered
225 Posts
The usual, when people have no things to argue, resorting to ridiculous claims.

I have fun with my AT and that's what counts, if your ego needs to think i'm slow and you're fast, sure whatever then go race the TT champ, seems living long isn't one of your life goals.
Oh and by the way smileysdon't make your phrases funny!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a sense of humour and a very dark one usually, but not when people advocate that, having limbs close by heavy duty rotating chains, is logical and almost an heroic thing to do.
Though I'll concede to you that most occidental men, hand over their balls to their wives, or the government and the world is slowly being tailored by women, for wimpy and easily manipulated men to be the norm ! Thats why my balls never leave my pants, but so does my brain >:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just being honest and answering your question. Ask anyone that has ridden for a while and they can tell you of someone they know that was 'pretty sure they could keep their finger away from the chain.' Accidents are accidents for a reason.

I wrap a rag and spray cleaner on the chain section by section to get all the dirt off. Same process for applying lube. It's not really a huge deal or that time consuming to do it without taking risks.

You provide a cautionary tale in your response. Shouldn't that be enough? 0:)

Have to say that for a motorcycle forum you lot seem to be risk averse to the nth degree.I asked about possible problems to the bike,I am pretty sure I can keep my fingers away from the moving chain.Unlike a mate of mine who greased a moving chain with his fingers many years ago.Now that WAS stupid and resulted in a hospital stay.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have 2 amphibious machines run by chain drive. Almost 50 feet of big double row industrial chain and 18 sprockets in each machine that need to be lubed every 10 hours of operation. Come and tell me to rotate those by hand :grin2::grin2:. Not a whole lot of risk involved in holding a spray can with a plastic hose nozzle a foot away from a slow moving chain, unless of course you have hair down to your ass or wear chains on your neck, wrists, waste, other random areas. It's all about hazard assessment and risk mitigation. I do know people that have lost their fingers on a motorcycle chain, but that was installing one that had fallen off. So you can imagine how that went... Yeah I know.. I know some people in low places lol. Anyway all that being said I still just lube my bike chains with the machine off since it flings off a bit less. I know this debate will go on in the MC community until the end of time so I'll shut up now and go back to work. 0:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
??????

I think you should clean and oil your chain any way you want to.

I'll do mine the way I want to.

And I'm not telling anybody how I do it. 0:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think you should clean and oil your chain any way you want to.

I'll do mine the way I want to.

And I'm not telling anybody how I do it. 0:)
You're missing the point, people against it, are telling others it's dangerous, for no advantage on the process, i'd even argue that most of the lube you'll put on will fly away, if in 1st gear, everyone is entitled to do as they please, that's where natural selection comes in sometimes...

Did you ever see a professional mecanic, clean or lube the chain with engine on ? I sure never did !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts