Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Every one,
I have just joined your community,

I have a 66 plate AT DCT, I have had the wheels changed under warranty,
Now I have rust on the main frame just above the foot pegs on both sides,

Has any one else got the rust problem,
I have had Honda's on and off for the past 43 years,
The AT is not up to the standard I am use to from Honda,

Apart from that I rely like the bike especially now I have to have a DCT bike,

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
297 Posts
Posting pictures will help, but you can find many reports of rust on the AT. Also depends on the year, in 2018, 2019 spokes were upgraded to Stainless steel. So far I dont think anyone managed to get a rusted frame covered under warranty. Best you can do is clean it, prep it, paint it, and ride it.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,006 Posts
Hi Every one,
I have just joined your community,

I have a 66 plate AT DCT, I have had the wheels changed under warranty,
Now I have rust on the main frame just above the foot pegs on both sides,

Has any one else got the rust problem,
I have had Honda's on and off for the past 43 years,
The AT is not up to the standard I am use to from Honda,

Apart from that I rely like the bike especially now I have to have a DCT bike,

Cheers Paul
I agree with Speedo007; I don’t recall seeing anyone getting a warranty job on rust.. tho I have seen other complaints on it. I’m guessing it’s a transport/handling issue of the frames in or to the assembly plant; getting occasional small nicks in the powder coat. Yea, shame on Honda...

·
Registered
ATAS ES DCT 2020 Tri Colour
21 Posts
Agree, have a July 2020 ATAS-ES-DCT and same rust starting issues seen on white paint at footpeg areas. Not enough white paint and no preparation to the weld areas. Going to ask my UK dealer Dobles at Coulsdon to rectify. thumbnail_IMG_9286.jpeg thumbnail_IMG_9287.jpeg thumbnail_IMG_9288.jpeg thumbnail_IMG_9289.jpeg

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Agree, have a July 2020 ATAS-ES-DCT and same rust starting issues seen on white paint at footpeg areas. Not enough white paint and no preparation to the weld areas. Going to ask my UK dealer Dobles at Coulsdon to rectify. View attachment 62184 View attachment 62185 View attachment 62186 View attachment 62187
It's your bike and YOUR TIME and, the logistics of taking the bike there, getting the service folks to look at it, then either consult Honda about it or, make a decision to ignore it, is all gonna take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time than it's worth, at least to me. Yes, we all pay lots of money for these bikes and, yes, they have warranty. But, in situations like this, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier for me to simply take a tad bit of sand paper wrapped around a flexible item like a pensile eraser and sand that spot for 10 seconds. Then, wipe it down with some alcohol. Then, get some Testors or any other brand of model paint that matches and, take 15 seconds to touch the area up with a tiny model paint brush, DONE!

And all this could be done, lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng before you get to your dealer. But, if you feel you want to take your valuable time and go wait in line with other motorcycle owners at the dealer that will be there for service, warranty, farkle adding and more, have at it. Your choice.
Scott

Reactions: Misterk

·
Registered
ATAS ES DCT 2020 Tri Colour
21 Posts
Sure I get your point about wasting my time vs dealer actually doing nothing about it.

I will give it one shot. I particularly want them to acknowledge the issue and maybe be a tiny bit more thoughtful next time I'm getting a service done and maybe become a little uncomfortable with a customer who has a £21000 GBP ( $28,862) bike who is being asked to rectify factory issues appearing in 7 months from new, with half of this time in lockdown so zero miles and in a heated garage.

We are long used to 7 to 10 year warranties on car frames now. It is not the 1970s type of British car plant practices here.

Honda built a reputation of quality products , not just reliable engines, and seem to have had no quality control at all here. If Triumph did a DCT I would be back to them. Had 4 bikes , ( 800 tigers and 1200 Explorers) and zero issues of any description used in the same way as this Honda. Had an NC750X for 4 years before this and it tarnished but that took 4 years of riding British roads that are well salted in winter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good luck trying to get the dealer to do anything about rust, Honda UK and their dealers don't give a toss about how abysmal the quality control is on these bikes. I noticed all kinds of defects on the frame of my bike, all within 2 days of picking it up. I was told it was "within spec" and basically that it was tough luck. This is the last new Honda I will ever buy.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Sure I get your point about wasting my time vs dealer actually doing nothing about it.

I will give it one shot. I particularly want them to acknowledge the issue and maybe be a tiny bit more thoughtful next time I'm getting a service done and maybe become a little uncomfortable with a customer who has a £21000 GBP ( $28,862) bike who is being asked to rectify factory issues appearing in 7 months from new, with half of this time in lockdown so zero miles and in a heated garage.

We are long used to 7 to 10 year warranties on car frames now. It is not the 1970s type of British car plant practices here.

Honda built a reputation of quality products , not just reliable engines, and seem to have had no quality control at all here. If Triumph did a DCT I would be back to them. Had 4 bikes , ( 800 tigers and 1200 Explorers) and zero issues of any description used in the same way as this Honda. Had an NC750X for 4 years before this and it tarnished but that took 4 years of riding British roads that are well salted in winter.
Yes - I've thought the same. I have a 9 year old Triumph Rocket that has weathered very well (stainless steel brake banjos for instance, wouldn;t cost Honda more than a few pennies more), and the Rocket would be an ideal bike for DCT. And if they did one of the 800 tigers with DCT I would definitely have one.
I had 3 NC750x's but they took much more work than the Africa Twin to keep from dissolving in the UK winter.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts