Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up, I've got my 9 week old ATAS stripped down to fit driving lamps and found rust under the fuel tank.
Its just surface rust round the tank hangar mounts and easily remedied but at 9 weeks old it really shouldn't be happening.
I've given it a coat of Crust rust treatment and sprayed it up with aerosol paint b fore liberally coating with ACF50.
It may be worth a look under your tank though, especially if you live in cold or damper climate.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just a heads up, I've got my 9 week old ATAS stripped down to fit driving lamps and found rust under the fuel tank.
Its just surface rust round the tank hangar mounts and easily remedied but at 9 weeks old it really shouldn't be happening.
I've given it a coat of Crust rust treatment and sprayed it up with aerosol paint b fore liberally coating with ACF50.
It may be worth a look under your tank though, especially if you live in cold or damper climate.

looks like all ATAS models are going to be affected by this due to lack of quality control,But until you remove your tank how will you ever know:surprise:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I found this tiny rust spot on the side of the tank. Should i be concerned? There's also more rust on the frame... Sucks, ansolutely sucks. Almost 5K miles. Still love her tho. Amazing bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
(grumble)

Do you think these might be related to road debris? Or do you think a fault in manufacture?

Suspiciously, the tank impairment appears to lie along a seam. :(

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,976 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well,
As much as we'd all love to have PERFECT bikes from Honda, things happen. Every manufacturer has some sort of issues every now and then. Nobody likes to pay a large amount of hard earned money for something and, it's less than perfect. But, again, things happen. If I find something like this, the logistics of what it would take to even THINK about trying to get Honda to pay attention to it, would be futile. So, what I'd most likely do is, do what it takes to prep the area involved and dab some paint on it, DONE!
Scott

Reactions: gvmumbral

·
Registered
200 Posts
While the AT is generally a good piece of engineering, there are however some fittings and small parts that are rubbish quality. You boys across the pond may be luckier than us Brits. My AT has just had its first UK winter in a dry but unheated garage. I kept it away from salt and gave it ACF50 treatment. I've had my eyes well and truly opened on the effort necessary to preserve the bike in our wet and warm climate. Honda's reputation has gone down as result of these cheap parts. I guess its better to have a bullet proof engine and deal with the periphery.

I do sometimes wonder if I ended up with a California model bike!

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
I don't believe Honda was trying to match the fit and finish of the AT to that of the Gold Wing, and even the CB1100. The latter models are well-polished machines not meant for routine bed rock crossing.

This could have had something to do with the intended application of the AT model being "adventure" in nature.

·
Registered
200 Posts
While I agree and apologies for labouring the point, the more I get to know maintaining my AT, the more I'm surprised at the contrast of quality cross the components. One example is the plating on some parts is a joke, other parts meanwhile are beautiful. I still haven't worked out why in a garage full of bicycles, cars, vans and other machinery, my AT is the only item oxidising before my very eyes. I would add that my disappointment with Honda quality is becoming more controlled as I sort the low quality stuff out. While we may all have a different opinion on this, there is no doubt that different countries and climates are not all seeing the same picture. There also maybe production quality variations. I don't know the degree (if any) manufacturers like Honda follow or take notice of owner forum content. If I were them, I would listen to general themes from the people who pay their wages (victims). We know that feedback is a gift and is more often only personal opinion. Looking on the bright side, and there is a large bright side to the AT, we are not discussing crankshaft or piston failures.

So, Honda 1. Please wake up and listen and 2. Send your products vulnerable to corrosion to drier climate markets.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ray,
I know and realize your thought process here. Waaaaaaaaaaay back in '70, I worked for a Chevrolet dealership in San Diego. Being I was a teenager then, I didn't get a very high-tech job. My job at that time was Tire and Underseal Man. In that, if any tire work needed to be done, I was the one who did it. But, the second part of my job was to UNDERSEAL cars. General motors, in that era, decided that one of their cost cutting measures was to STOP PAINTING many of the underside components of their cars. And that included suspension components, uni-body undercarriage, and anything that was either some form of tin or steel.

Well guess what happened to a WHOLE TON of those cars, ON THE WAY TO THE DEALERSHIP? They, like even todays new autos, were transported by car carrier 18 wheelers. And, you can imagine what kind of weather they drove/drive through on the way from the big automakers plants back east, to San Diego and other surrounding cities. So, as the cars were off loaded from the trucks, (I watched hundreds being unloaded) I could see the undercarriage ALREADY RUSTING.

So, I made a whopping $.75 per car, to grab it from the new car storage lot, bring it to my rack, underseal it, and put it back. The dealership charged at that time, $75.00 per car for that service.

So, that was a long, long time ago. And the Giant company of GM, has since improved component rust and corrosion protection. While I don't doubt that their might be some inconsistencies in quality control for Honda, I just wonder, just exactly how many AT's might have your same problems/issues. You see, not all AT owners participate in or on forums. So, we might not be getting a full picture here.
Scott

Reactions: RayCollington

·
Registered
2017 DCT
330 Posts
Ray,
I know and realize your thought process here. Waaaaaaaaaaay back in '70, I worked for a Chevrolet dealership in San Diego. Being I was a teenager then, I didn't get a very high-tech job. My job at that time was Tire and Underseal Man. In that, if any tire work needed to be done, I was the one who did it. But, the second part of my job was to UNDERSEAL cars. General motors, in that era, decided that one of their cost cutting measures was to STOP PAINTING many of the underside components of their cars. And that included suspension components, uni-body undercarriage, and anything that was either some form of tin or steel.

Well guess what happened to a WHOLE TON of those cars, ON THE WAY TO THE DEALERSHIP? They, like even todays new autos, were transported by car carrier 18 wheelers. And, you can imagine what kind of weather they drove/drive through on the way from the big automakers plants back east, to San Diego and other surrounding cities. So, as the cars were off loaded from the trucks, (I watched hundreds being unloaded) I could see the undercarriage ALREADY RUSTING.

So, I made a whopping $.75 per car, to grab it from the new car storage lot, bring it to my rack, underseal it, and put it back. The dealership charged at that time, $75.00 per car for that service.

So, that was a long, long time ago. And the Giant company of GM, has since improved component rust and corrosion protection. While I don't doubt that their might be some inconsistencies in quality control for Honda, I just wonder, just exactly how many AT's might have your same problems/issues. You see, not all AT owners participate in or on forums. So, we might not be getting a full picture here.
Scott
Ha! I too worked at a Chervrolet Dealer in the very early '80s and was relegated to "under sealing", recalls, and other exciting jobs as the "junior" team member!

Those Citations and Cavaliers were true POS 💩cars... many couldn't even be backed off the truck because of low/no transmission fluid from the factory.

I always felt sorry for the buyers, so when I under coated one (at a dealer sales price of $299.00), I loaded them up. I bet I could get 200 lbs of that stuff to stick to the underside of a Monte Carlo! The were noticably quieter at the end of that process... :) Not good to coat a Cat con though! Don't ask me how I know... 🤐

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts

Those Citations and Cavaliers were true POS 💩cars... many couldn't even be backed off the truck because of low/no transmission fluid from the factory.

I always felt sorry for the buyers, ...
So sad to be reminded of those years of lost opportunity. :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts